Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Fabrication & Tools > Metal Shaping and Welding
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Metal Shaping and Welding Discuss metal shaping and welding techniques. Share your projects or tips and tricks.
Closed Thread Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 08-05-2004, 11:41 AM   #1
mike@af
Captain Over Engineer

Send a message via ICQ to mike@af Send a message via AIM to mike@af Send a message via Yahoo to mike@af
Any welders out there?

Who here does welding? This thread is just a thread to talk about all your welding stuff, just feel free to talk with other fellow welders. What kind of welder you use, what your favorite type is, etc.

Personally, I love TIG welding. My favorite TIG welder is the Miller EconoTIG. My grandpa has an EconoTIG and I'm the only one to have ever used it, he lives up in Michigan so I am trying to get it from him...

mike.lawrence@automotiveforums.com | AutomotiveForums.com | Flickr Gallery
Old 08-06-2004, 11:13 AM   #2
Cbass
AF Fanatic

Send a message via ICQ to Cbass Send a message via AIM to Cbass Send a message via MSN to Cbass Send a message via Yahoo to Cbass
When I was going to trade school, I used mostly DC inverters, and they're pretty nice. Not all that big, but good for 200+ amps on a 100% duty cycle... If I was doing a lot of structural steel in a shop, they'd be my choice for sure, I prefer the feel of stick over flux core.

I also did a fair bit of wire feed, both for my C level and for my fab course. I've got the basics of tuning the machine down, but I still can't do it half as fast as I should

Now that I've got out and started doing this for a living, I use generator driven DC welders, and I love them. It's hard to explain, but they have really smooth clean power vs an inverter that's driven off a building circuit. There is much less arc blow, and the rod burns really smoothly and consistenly.

I want to get myself one of those little Lincoln MIG paks, probably the 15 model. It welds up to 1/4, which is as thick as I'm going to need to weld any brackets or suspension stuff, even crossmembers aren't that thick. They run about $700 CDN new, and you can usually get factory recon units for about $400, with wire and a regulator. That's a pretty fair deal, but I'm off work right now on account of the wrist, and money is tight

Connor - Porsche Nazi since 2001, VW defiler since 2004

This here's a Fabrication forum!
My lugnut requires more torque than your LS1 makes.
Old 08-06-2004, 04:38 PM   #3
mike@af
Captain Over Engineer

Send a message via ICQ to mike@af Send a message via AIM to mike@af Send a message via Yahoo to mike@af
Re: Any welders out there?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cbass
When I was going to trade school, I used mostly DC inverters, and they're pretty nice. Not all that big, but good for 200+ amps on a 100% duty cycle... If I was doing a lot of structural steel in a shop, they'd be my choice for sure, I prefer the feel of stick over flux core.

I also did a fair bit of wire feed, both for my C level and for my fab course. I've got the basics of tuning the machine down, but I still can't do it half as fast as I should

Now that I've got out and started doing this for a living, I use generator driven DC welders, and I love them. It's hard to explain, but they have really smooth clean power vs an inverter that's driven off a building circuit. There is much less arc blow, and the rod burns really smoothly and consistenly.
Wow! Someone that loves stick.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cbass
I want to get myself one of those little Lincoln MIG paks, probably the 15 model. It welds up to 1/4, which is as thick as I'm going to need to weld any brackets or suspension stuff, even crossmembers aren't that thick. They run about $700 CDN new, and you can usually get factory recon units for about $400, with wire and a regulator. That's a pretty fair deal, but I'm off work right now on account of the wrist, and money is tight
$700CDN?! Shewwy. Down here in the states I can pick up a Lincoln Weld Pak 15 from $380-$440USD.

Old 08-09-2004, 05:34 PM   #4
Cbass
AF Fanatic

Send a message via ICQ to Cbass Send a message via AIM to Cbass Send a message via MSN to Cbass Send a message via Yahoo to Cbass
Re: Re: Any welders out there?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTmike400
Wow! Someone that loves stick.
Give me a 3/32 7018 or a 306 rod and I'll show you what welding is all about!

I prefer the feel of stick because I can manipulate the puddle much more effectively, I don't have enough time on wire to walk the puddle like I can with a stick. Just for the hell of it when I was at the school, I started trying stuff like a 45 degree angle, between overhead and verticle, then got into making tee joints that turned 90 in the middle of the weld, so you have to weld up one and down the other. Invaluable experience, you really get a feel for what it wants to do.

Quote:
$700CDN?! Shewwy. Down here in the states I can pick up a Lincoln Weld Pak 15 from $380-$440USD.
I live in a small town, so there is no real welding store here... Canadian Tire has the MIG pak 15 for $700 regular price, but they drop it down to $500 on sale every now and then. I think I'll pick one up, and maybe a little DC welder so I can start TIGing

Old 08-09-2004, 05:40 PM   #5
Sluttypatton
AF Enthusiast

Most of the welding I've done is MIG, and I personally would love to have one around my shop at home. Having a welder opens up so many options for you, but unfortunately my shop is all wood so any sparks at all would set it up in flames. A few of my friends are professional welders so any time I need something welded I just send it off to them.
Last edited by Sluttypatton on 13-54-2098 at 25:75 PM.
Old 08-09-2004, 05:47 PM   #6
mike@af
Captain Over Engineer

Hey Connor, if you think you have a lot of control with stick, try out TIG. With TIG you can manipulate a puddle the size of a pin head.

First Day of school, and I finally got into Auto Tech. Teacher said after I take the Welder Certification test I can play with the MIG welder! I havent done MIG welding in over a year, this outta be intresting.

Old 08-10-2004, 10:43 AM   #7
Cbass
AF Fanatic

Quote:
Hey Connor, if you think you have a lot of control with stick, try out TIG. With TIG you can manipulate a puddle the size of a pin head.
Not to mention how clean the weld comes out, especially with aluminum and stainless. I couldn't get a chance to do any TIG work at my trade school, since I was going for my fab course and C ticket. The basic TIG is considered B level welding, and the more advanced stuff with more expensive materials is A level... I'm not sure if you have the same certification process down there, or if it's just a Canadian thing.

Quote:
First Day of school, and I finally got into Auto Tech. Teacher said after I take the Welder Certification test I can play with the MIG welder! I havent done MIG welding in over a year, this outta be intresting.
What test are you taking?

Old 08-10-2004, 04:00 PM   #8
mike@af
Captain Over Engineer

I will periodically take ASE tests, then some welding safety test to use the MIG welders after school. Im need to see if I can get my welding certification.

Old 08-11-2004, 05:43 PM   #9
TheSilentChamber
Forunn Daberator

I learned on MIG about 4 years ago, About two years ago I stared messing with TIG. I can stick to some extent but I havnt had much practice.

Old 08-16-2004, 01:00 PM   #10
IImportSupra
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to IImportSupra

i weld, two year. ill post pix of my work later.
Old 09-05-2004, 03:29 PM   #11
CBFryman
Banned

Send a message via AIM to CBFryman Send a message via Yahoo to CBFryman

I originally learned on a Heli Arc Welder...that was when i was 11...couldnt do it now if i tried because my dad got a lil 70amp MIG welder. i usually use flux core because there is no where for me to weld that the sheild gas doent have the potential to get blown away. i can do a pretty good bead... but im a lil slopy still. i also learned to weld with oxygen/acetelene... not strong at all...but works good as a butane torch replacement when you need a hotter flame. id liek to get a 150amp Mig welder with 100% duty cycle with a sopt weld gun and all the fixins to weld aluminum....but the lincons ive looked at are like 500+ and i dont ahve thoes kinda pennies right now... maybe after soccer season htis year i will be able to get a job agian...hopefully...
Old 09-13-2004, 02:05 AM   #12
83-944
AF Enthusiast

I'll bite. I'm not a professional, I'm uncertified and I'm self taught. MIG welding for me was a long learning experience of trial and error. Lot's of golf ball sized welds had to be ground down when i first tried it out. When i first "inherited" my mig welder from my dad, it was already fifteen years old and would overheat every 10 or so minutes. After installing 6 PC fans blowing on the transformer, I can go for hours so long as the wire feed doesn't jam up.

The welder is a Migmate Super SiP. I couldn't find replacement nozzles, tips, triggers, or sheaths so i've had to "retrofit" it to misc lincoln parts.

This welder has helped resurrect a 70 Porsche 914-6, a 63 VW k-Ghia, a 74 Porsche 914 2.0, a 65 VW Beetle, and currently a 62 VW K-Ghia.

The welder is going to be retired after this project for it's uncontrollable wire feed rate. It will be replaced probably with a TIG welder of some type once funds become available. Are there any other uses for CO2/Argon tanks?
Old 09-13-2004, 02:31 AM   #13
TheSilentChamber
Forunn Daberator

Quote:
Originally Posted by 83-944
Are there any other uses for CO2/Argon tanks?
Yup, make one hell of a paintball gun tank

Old 09-13-2004, 03:45 PM   #14
mike@af
Captain Over Engineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 83-944
I'll bite. I'm not a professional, I'm uncertified and I'm self taught. MIG welding for me was a long learning experience of trial and error. Lot's of golf ball sized welds had to be ground down when i first tried it out. When i first "inherited" my mig welder from my dad, it was already fifteen years old and would overheat every 10 or so minutes. After installing 6 PC fans blowing on the transformer, I can go for hours so long as the wire feed doesn't jam up.

The welder is a Migmate Super SiP. I couldn't find replacement nozzles, tips, triggers, or sheaths so i've had to "retrofit" it to misc lincoln parts.

This welder has helped resurrect a 70 Porsche 914-6, a 63 VW k-Ghia, a 74 Porsche 914 2.0, a 65 VW Beetle, and currently a 62 VW K-Ghia.

The welder is going to be retired after this project for it's uncontrollable wire feed rate. It will be replaced probably with a TIG welder of some type once funds become available. Are there any other uses for CO2/Argon tanks?
You can use the tank for the TIG welder. At school we use CO2/Argon tanks with or without CO2 in the mix.

Old 09-13-2004, 09:16 PM   #15
TheSilentChamber
Forunn Daberator

I think the TIG at the shop I used to work at used helium, may be wrong though.

Closed Thread

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Fabrication & Tools > Metal Shaping and Welding