Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Oldsmobile > Silhouette
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 12-01-2003, 03:42 PM   #1
r.dawg
AF Newbie

transmission fluid

greetings!

AF ate my post that i'd spent some time on, making sure to be nice and courteous and politely chatty. now i'm not in the mood to do that song and dance again so i'll just ask a question or two.

i'm looking to purchase a '99 GL (optioned up like a GLS) with 78k miles on it. two danger signs.

1) the used car dealer is asking nearly 500 below black book for this vehicle if it were rough. (it does not seem rough...)

2) the transmission fluid is a medium brown color and smells slightly burnt. my mechanic tells me it should be pink, and if it's brown, the transmission might be about to go, but the only way to tell would be to drop the fluid pan and look for metal shavings - a 300 dollar job.

any input?
r.dawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2003, 02:19 PM   #2
danstrong
AF Newbie

Transmission

regarding the trans fluid. Chances are it has never been changed. As long as it shifts and feels good, I would just make sure to have the fluid/filter changed if you buy it.

Personally, I would do the following: Vacuum remove the fluid and refill. Drive for 100 miles or so, and do a fluid/filter change. Other methods also work.

My Cavalier had 90K on it when I bought it, and the fluid was never changed. of course I changed it. It now has 170 K and still works good as new. Yes, only a 4 cyl with much less power, etc.

Just make sure the vehicle is in generally good shape and what you need. As far as price, There are so many vans on the market that the selling price is depressed.

Dan Strong
danstrong is offline   Reply With Quote