Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Automotive Art > Diecast Car Modeling
Diecast Car Modeling Discuss and show diecast vehicles that you have modified, or that you have collected.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 01-17-2014, 07:13 AM   #1
nugundam93
Blarg! Wort Wort Wort!

1/32 Petron Porsche 918 Spyder

During a recent promo by a local gas company, they decided to sell some Porsche die-cast models after you buy a certain amount of fuel from them. This was their 2nd run (I only got a 911 GT3 RSR in their 1st promo) and the only car that interested me was the 918 Spyder. This had the following gimmicks:

-pull-back and release action
-opening doors
-keyfob included which operated the following: startup sounds and lights, alarm and rev sounds (only the 918 and Carrera GT had this)

According to a friend, this was done by Fastlane aka realtoy aka motorcity.

I was initially planning to do a Martini livery for this but then decided to give it an itasha scheme, copying the RX-93 nu Gundam's color scheme, especially since I did have a Bandai 1/144 decal sheet for the nu Gundam lying around.

So here it is when I first got it:

And here are the other cars:

And the body disassembled from the chassis:

So I started by wetsanding the body with 1000 grit before painting:

And here it is after a few coats from a spraycan:

Old 01-17-2014, 07:23 AM   #2
nugundam93
Blarg! Wort Wort Wort!

Re: 1/32 Petron Porsche 918 Spyder

Disaster though struck with the spraypaint - turns out it was running low on propellant and decided to spit paint. Had no choice but to redo the paint by soaking the parts first in 99% isopropyl alcohol, then sanded smooth some molding lines I discovered on the metal body (looks like the original paint was thick enough to cover those mold lines LOL).

And here it is after a few coats of urethane primer (was doing this at the same time as the Aoshima Pajero conversion):

And after a few coats of white urethane paint:

And the last coat of white:

Since the nu Gundam had a white/black color scheme, the 918 was painted as such:

And here's the decal sheet (which I actually got 2 years ago and it was just sitting there in my computer desk):

Finally, applied the relevant decals (it was marked in the decal sheet which models they would go to):

So far that's the progress. I'll go back to my school stuff first and once that's done, I'll shoot a couple of layers of 2k urethane clear on this and then off to polish and wax it.
Old 01-20-2014, 02:58 AM   #3
nugundam93
Blarg! Wort Wort Wort!

After a few coats of 2k urethane clear:

I will have to sand down and respray clear on the right door as after the pics were taken and I was putting the doors and wing away, the wing snagged on the door near the handle and gouged the paint. I don't think it's gonna level it self but still hope it would so that i won't need to sand it flush.

I'll give this a couple of days before I start polishing and fixing the panel lines.
Old 04-24-2014, 07:41 PM   #4
nugundam93
Blarg! Wort Wort Wort!

so i managed to squeeze this in while waiting for my revised thesis draft to be critiqued.

here are the polished body parts:

a test-fit with the chassis:

i managed to lose one pair of exhaust tips, so i had to duplicate one. used oyumaru as the mold, and 2-part epoxy as casting material:

and here it is, all done and back in its box:

i'll do finished pics once i'm done defending the thesis.

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Automotive Art > Diecast Car Modeling