Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Subaru > Impreza/9-2x/Outback Sport
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 08-17-2018, 12:31 AM   #1
90celiGT
AF Newbie

Timing Belt mishap on EJ25 SOHC motor

I'm helping a friend with a 2004 Impreza timing belt replacement and something may have gone wrong. Not sure? I'm not a real mechanic

We got the timing belt cover off and then turned the motor to get the three marks to line up where they were supposed to be at their designated marks. Problem is that it was first tried by putting the breaker bar on the passenger side cam sprocket nut and turning from there. (Not my idea but I went with it) Everything turned except the crank sprocket, it allowed the teeth on the belt to skip it. Maybe 3-4 teeth.

We then turned the crank sprocket till everything was where it should be, except the two cam sprockets were each a few teeth advanced. We tried turning from the crank a few more times and every time the crank marks matched their mark, the cams were both a bit more counter clockwise than they should be.

At this point I suspected, but was not actually 100% sure which sprocket stayed put and allowed the belt to skip. So I used a paint pen to mark the belt with the three sprockets, and I turned the passenger side cam sprocket again, just to verify the crank was the one that stayed put. Another 2-3 teeth skipped, and this time it was obviously the crank that let the belt skip.

I thought it was a successful test and that I could just keep turning clockwise from the crank till everything was close again, and planned to back the crank up while holding the cam sprockets in place, which would let the belt skip the crank sprocket in the opposite direction as before.

So I turned the crank pulley several times with the breaker bar clockwise. The paint pen marks on the belt never matched up again with the paint pen marks on the cam sprockets

What does this mean? I didn't bend the valves or anything right?

Last edited by 90celiGT; 08-17-2018 at 01:06 AM.
90celiGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2018, 04:06 PM   #2
Crvett69
AF Moderator

Re: Timing Belt mishap on EJ25 SOHC motor

have to turn it over quite a few times before marks will line up again. just take the new belt off and rest it to factory marks and only use the crank bolt to turn it over. those marks will also not line up again after you rotate crank 2 turns after setting it to check the marks.
go by the marks on the gears and the engine to confirm its lined up after you have belt on and rotate engine clockwise twice to check them
Crvett69 is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Subaru > Impreza/9-2x/Outback Sport