Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Jeep > Grand Cherokee | Grand Cherokee SRT8
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 10-15-2010, 10:02 AM   #1
Panken202
AF Newbie

Fender Bender - Need Advice on Repairs

Hi Everyone,

So, I was a bit careless and accidentally rear-ended someone. It was pretty slow, in fact there is no exterior damage. Mostly, I just bent the frame alittle. Obviously, Insurance isn't going to do much because it was my fault. So now I need to figure out how to get it at least workable. Mechanic said cost of car was about 2k-3k to fix. I am a student and I do not have that kind of money.

The main problem is that the coolant fan sort of scrapes the side of the fan guard. Outside of that, there are only limited visible problems (going in reverse scrapes the wheel on the fenders for example). However, the mechanic said that there may be some other problems such as a broken radiator, the AC may be broken, among a few others. Obviously I need to run the car some more, but the car has not overheated or got hot since the accident.

So I wanted to know everyone's advice on if I just by myself cut out the part of the fan guard that scrapes against fan, and keep an eye on the coolant, will I be set, at least for the time being? I only need this car until December, so I do not feel like paying 3k for 3 months of use. Any ideas? Any similar stories?
Panken202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 12:00 AM   #2
Bernando1
AF Newbie

Re: Fender Bender - Need Advice on Repairs

I did something like this, but damaged the right fender and pulled off the bumper cover. I did hammer the bumper and part of the frame back with a two x four and a sledge. Make sure to disconnect the battery (not sure where the airbag sensors are). I was quoted $2,500 I did it for $500 including a paint job from Maaco. Good luck, see if you can find a body shop that will straighten things out. Then you can do the finish work.
Bernando1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 01:23 PM   #3
fredjacksonsan
Caution: Monkeys bite!

Send a message via AIM to fredjacksonsan

If the frame is bent you might have some handling problems at speed, so be very careful if you get out on the highway.

Backing up tire rub...heard of this and over time your tire will get cut. I've heard of people putting a tow strap on the bodywork underneath, tying it to something and backing up to jerk the front end back closer to where it should be. I've also heard of people removing bumpers or other parts by doing this.

You certainly could cut the fan shroud to keep the blades from hitting; this would degrade the airflow ever so slightly, but probably not enough IMO to cause an overheating issue.

I'm curious as to why the insurance company won't cover this.....did you not have Collision coverage for your own vehicle? If you did, they will cover it.
fredjacksonsan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 09:50 PM   #4
4x4 blazerguy
AF Regular

Do what is needed to keep driving it. Heck it is already bent up what is a few more cuts or dings. Try pulling the frame a little straighter as the post above suggests. I think he is right on with his suggestions.
4x4 blazerguy is offline   Reply With Quote