Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Oldsmobile > Silhouette
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 08-23-2007, 09:09 AM   #1
SilverOLDS
AF Newbie

Resetting Oil Change Message

How do you reset this on a 2000 Silhouette? I just bought this van and I like to do my own maintenance and prefer to use synthetic. Please help, my wife will not stop telling me to change the oil! Any suggestions? (with the resetting of the message indicator, not my wife)
SilverOLDS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 02:11 PM   #2
'97ventureowner
AF Moderator

Re: Resetting Oil Change Message

Try this. Turn the key on and with the engine off fully depress and let go of the accelerator pedal 3 times within 5 seconds. If the "Change Oil Soon"light flashes it has been reset, if not try the procedure again. Don't forget to turn the key back off when done. I also use synthetics in my vans and since the oil life monitors can't tell the difference between conventional and synthetics you will get the change oil message again a few more times before it is time to change the oil again. Depending on how long you plan to keep the oil in your engine,( I leave mine in 10,000 to 12,000 miles with just a filter change and top off, half way through the cycle) you'll have to reset the message at least once or twice during the time you have the synthetic in the engine before it is time to change it out.I find, depending on certain conditions, my oil life monitor comes on anytime between 2600 to 3500 miles. So I end up resetting my light 2 to 3 times during the time I have my current synthetic in my engine.

If a prostitute here in America loses her job to a prostitute in India , is that considered "outwhoring"??-Jay Leno

" A Good Thing To Know"
'97ventureowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 07:18 PM   #3
AF Regular

if you push the trip reset buton three times it will say OIL
and a 2 didget number. that is the oil life remaining (that is on the right side of the inst. cluster) to reset push and hold for 4-5 sec and that will rest the oil life system and it will readOIL 100 it is in the owners manual. (check the back of the book under oil life). 463
463 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 11:15 PM   #4
'97ventureowner
AF Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by 463
if you push the trip reset buton three times it will say OIL
and a 2 didget number. that is the oil life remaining (that is on the right side of the inst. cluster) to reset push and hold for 4-5 sec and that will rest the oil life system and it will readOIL 100 it is in the owners manual. (check the back of the book under oil life). 463
Is that the procedure for a 2000 or a 2002? ( I ask because I noticed in your profile you have an '02) The procedure I outlined above is from what I had remembered previously, so I went to check some sites that I have saved( for extra informational purposes) to my computer over the years to clarify and this is what I came up with:http://groups.msn.com/AutoTechsOnlin...Message=120897

If a prostitute here in America loses her job to a prostitute in India , is that considered "outwhoring"??-Jay Leno

" A Good Thing To Know"
Old 08-24-2007, 08:43 AM   #5
SilverOLDS
AF Newbie

Thanks a lot for the replies! But I worry about the following:

Quote:
Originally Posted by '97ventureowner
Turn the key on and with the engine off fully depress and let go of the accelerator pedal 3 times within 5 seconds.
Isn't there a chance of flooding the motor using this method? I always understood that flooding would occur if the accelerator was depressed with the ignition on.
Old 08-24-2007, 12:40 PM   #6
'97ventureowner
AF Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverOLDS
Thanks a lot for the replies! But I worry about the following:

Isn't there a chance of flooding the motor using this method? I always understood that flooding would occur if the accelerator was depressed with the ignition on.
That was true on older vehicles (that were carburated,)without fuel injection.That won't be a problem with your vehicle.

" A Good Thing To Know"
Old 08-24-2007, 12:51 PM   #7
SilverOLDS
AF Newbie

Thanks guys!

I'll try it today.
Old 08-24-2007, 12:54 PM   #8
'97ventureowner
AF Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverOLDS
Thanks guys!

I'll try it today.
If you try both procedures listed above, let us know which one worked for you. I'm interested to see as I always thought it was the procedure I outlined, but the other procedure , which is also used on other GM vehicles may be the one, and I'd like to know for future reference. Thanks.

" A Good Thing To Know"
Old 08-24-2007, 03:06 PM   #9
AF Regular

opcorn: 97ventureowner. your right , i was think 2002 olds my mistake,thanks. reset for the 2000 olds is 2000 VENTURE 2000 OLDS SILHOUETTE
2000 MONTANA

1. TURN IGNITION ON ENGINE OFF FULLY DEPRESS AND RELEASE THE ACCELERATOR PEDAL THREE TIMES WITHIN 5 SECONDS , IF THE “CHANGE OIL SOON “ LIGHT FLASHES IT IS RESETTING, TURN THE KEYoff
463 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2007, 01:39 PM   #10
SilverOLDS
AF Newbie

Hi Guys,

Well on the week-end I tried to reset it but it didn't work. I turned the key forward without starting the van, then pressed/released the accelerator 3 times (within 5 seconds) but nothing happened, the message still appears.

Any suggestions? TIA
Old 08-27-2007, 03:35 PM   #11
'97ventureowner
AF Moderator

Did you also try the method outlined by 463 in a previous post using the trip reset button? do you have the owner's manual? If so take a look in there as also suggested by 463. I'll look into it and see if there is another method, but if you didn't try the other way, try it and report back as to yes or no if that worked.

" A Good Thing To Know"
Old 08-30-2007, 01:00 AM   #12
businessjeff
AF Newbie

this should all be in the owners manual..
businessjeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2007, 07:21 AM   #13
SilverOLDS
AF Newbie

GOOD NEWS!

I finally got it to reset last night. I found the manual and the proper procedure is to depress the accelerator BUT as per the manual, the pedal must be pressed and released "slowly". Thats the key. Thanks for all the help!
Old 08-30-2007, 02:09 PM   #14
'97ventureowner
AF Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by businessjeff
this should all be in the owners manual..
We are aware of that but realize sometimes when you purchase a vehicle the owners manual is nowhere to be found.(I think out of the 20+ vehicles I've purchased in the last 22 years, about 1/3 had no manual included.) That is why many members come to this site to get info on their vehicles. A lot of the time we don't know that the member may or may not have an owners manual but regardless we are happy to assist in answering their questions.

" A Good Thing To Know"

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Oldsmobile > Silhouette