Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Oldsmobile > Silhouette
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 03-02-2002, 06:08 PM   #1
mbeebe1
AF Newbie

Sputters and dies

When driving at highway speeds for a while then coming to a stop the RPMs wiggle up and down and then the engine dies. Does anyone have any idea what is causing this or have you had this problem?
mbeebe1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2002, 10:35 PM   #2
speediva
AF Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to speediva Send a message via Yahoo to speediva
I'm posting this WAAAAAAAAYYYYY too late, but I've never experienced this problem with our Silhouette. But it's an Olds, so anything is possible... :o

2005 Subaru Forester 2.5X
1997 Honda Civic EX Coupe

Inform yourself:
AF User Guidelines
speediva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2002, 11:49 AM   #3
mbeebe1
AF Newbie

It turned out to be the oxygen sensor.
mbeebe1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2003, 09:44 PM   #4
donnell68
AF Newbie

Can you tell me more i am experinencing the same thing on my car also my engi light stays on. how much was the oygen sensor and where did yo9u get it put in etc... helppppppppp
donnell68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2003, 11:55 PM   #5
joker55
AF Newbie

same problem

I have been having the same problem and my check engine light is on too. I took it to a mechanic and he told me the Ignition module was out and the comp. was out. He replaced the module and that did not fix anything. I have not replaced the comp yet. That brings me to my post what is the comp called or a part # ??? So I can see if I can find it cheaper on the net. My next question is any sugestions on where to find it? Thanks Joker55.
joker55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2003, 10:10 AM   #6
donnell68
AF Newbie

fixed problem with engin light and sputtering

IT turned out to be a faulty catalyc converter, Luckily it is still covered under the manufactors warranty under a clean act law. Most mechanics and dealers will not tell you this. I was at pep boys and they were ready to charge me for this $600.00 but i bought an extended warranty over the net and called them and they informed me that they will not cover this item because its a dealer covered part. Hope this helps you all. Once it was changed car ran fine and i changed the oygen sensors too for good measure.
Old 08-19-2003, 12:59 PM   #7
GMMerlin
I know stuff

You will find warranty coverages listed in your owners manual.
On most GM cars, catalytic converters and PCM's are covered under a 8 year, 80000 mile factory warranty.
Most aftermarket repair facilities are not aware of warranty coverages. Had you had your vehicle diagnosed and repaired at a GM dealer, the converter would have been replaced at no charge to you.
GM WCT
Yea..I work at a DEALERSHIP....got a problem with that?

Want to diagnose cars like the Pros? FOR SALE: OTC Perception 2 channel Labscope (badged as a Matco Reality)
This is my personal labscope that I use to diagnose waveforms, like new, comes with leads and training video
PM Me for details
GMMerlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2003, 09:36 AM   #8
donnell68
AF Newbie

Also i originally bought the car to a GM dealership 2 years ago when this first started they charge me a fortune to tell me there was nothing wrong...
it was replaced at no charge at a GM dealer, but i first went to pep boys for inspection and a oil change. it didnt pass inspection due to the converter malfunctioning. afterwards i bought it to a gm dealer and they fixed it, it took 3 weeks. 2 weeks for an appointment then another week they kept the car order parts and installed. way to go GM dealer...... they didnt even get me a similiarreatal car as a replacement they rented me a compact car. they had my mini Van which seats 7. compact car seats 4 maybe five. I had a plan trip to sesame place that weekend and had to take 2 cars. Way to go GM dealers....
While they had my car they also pulled off some side molding which they denied, they wouldnt fix it but recommedned a mechanic who would for a small fee. Way to go GM dealersssssssssssss nuff said. The converter was covered under a clean air act law not under anything that GM has. Way to go GM dealersssss. ok now nuff said.