Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Blazer > How-to | Technical Info
How-to | Technical Info A wealth of information at your disposal.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 01-07-2011, 04:56 PM   #1
Rick Norwood
Big Tall Dumb Ass

What's inside your fuel filter?

Here is a picture of 3 different fuel filters that I cut open: Note the fuel flows from the outside of the filter element, to the inside. The dirt is collected on the outside of the element and is visible below.

The one on the left came out of my 2000 Jimmy after 4-5 months service. It is an Aftermarket filter.

The one in the middle came out of a 2000 Chevy Truck with an unknown length of service, it is an aftermarket filter. This truck had a fuel pump failure.

The one on the right came out of a 2003 Chevy Truck and was the original OEM A/C Delco filter with approximately 7 years of service. The wrinkled element was a result of cutting the filter open. This fuel pump did not fail, but it was probably close.

As you can see, Gasoline carries a lot of dirt and debris that will clog your filter and ruin your fuel pump. It should be noted that when I cut these filters open, there was absolutely no loose dirt or debris. The blackened filter elements are a result of the fine (microscopic) particles of dirt in the fuel that stick to the element. If you haven't changed your Fuel Filter in the past year, do yourself a favor and do it now.

Last edited by Rick Norwood; 01-11-2011 at 12:49 PM.
Rick Norwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 06:16 PM   #2
Rick Norwood
Big Tall Dumb Ass

Re: What's inside your fuel filter?

O.K. For all of you with inquiring minds, I cut the 3 filters apart and here are a few Pic's and a little more info:

Here are the 3 elements stretched out and tacked up. The Order is the same as the first Post Photo:

This is a picture of the elements folded over to show both the inside and the outside of the element. The order is the same as in the first picture and the external is to the right, and the internal is to the left of each individual element. Notice the different colors on the middle and right elements and the big bleed through spot on the Right element. (Sorry about the shadows in the Pic).

Now the Stats. The pleat lengths shown below are measured valley to peak to valley when flattened. (Picture an upside down "V" flattened). The overall length shown is with the element pulled flat.

Filter #1 (Left)
53 pleat peaks
7/8 inch pleat length
2 3/8 x 48 (W x L)
114 sq inches
.012 paper thickness

Filter #2 (Middle)
48 pleat peaks
3/4 inch pleat length
2 x 33 1/2 (W x L)
.015 paper thickness
67 sq. inches

Filter #3 (Right)
29 pleat peaks
1 inch pleat Length
2 1/2 x 28 3/4 (W x L)
71.875 sq. inches
.015 paper thickness

Disclaimer: Measurments are approximate to give you a basic idea of the size of the elements. I included the tape measure in the picture for reference, but if you pull the paper elements too hard, they tear (so don't beat me up over the slight difference LOL). - Rick

Last edited by Rick Norwood; 01-10-2011 at 08:01 PM.
Old 01-10-2011, 06:58 PM   #3
old_master
Advisor/Moderator

Nice job Rick! Just a wild guess on your fuel filter, the one on the left, you mentioned it was aftermarket, by any chance is that a Purolator filter?
Old 01-11-2011, 07:59 PM   #4
Rick Norwood
Big Tall Dumb Ass

Quote:
Originally Posted by old_master View Post
Nice job Rick! Just a wild guess on your fuel filter, the one on the left, you mentioned it was aftermarket, by any chance is that a Purolator filter?
Well Here is the problem, there are no markings on the F%$#&* filter. IF I was in the parts business, I think I'd mark SOMETHING on my products to show I am proud of what I built, EITHER MY NAME, MY LOGO, MY PART NUMBER, SOMETHING. That is the reason I use my real name on this Forum.

ARE YOU LISTENING PUROLATOR AND EVERYONE ELSE. Put your name on your product, and don't give me the "It costs Money" crap, it is good advertising if your product is good.

And if you can identify your product speak up.

Last edited by Rick Norwood; 01-19-2011 at 06:49 PM.
Old 07-09-2014, 12:41 PM   #5
Rick Norwood
Big Tall Dumb Ass

The main purpose of this thread is to show the need to get your Fuel Filter on a regular maintenance schedule. As a general rule, if you replace your Fuel Filter regularly, it shouldn't make a hill of beans what filter you buy or use.