Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Cars in General
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 01-26-2006, 06:31 AM   #76
BCS1988
AF Newbie

Re: Engine swaps we like and hate.

Like - SR20/13B in 240Zs.
Like - RB26DETT in S14 240SXs. (Vette/Supra/whatever killer)
Like - SBC in Fieros. A friend of mine's dad did one of those, was pretty badass, imo.
Not to fond of (but don't hate) - V8's in RX-7's. I guess I'm a bit of a rotor-head, but I think anything other than a Rotary engine gracing the engine bay of the RX-7 is blasphemy and is mollesting "teH chassis". To each his own, though. I always say if you got the money to do it, do it, doesn't matter what others might think as long as you're happy with it. And, what can I say, the second gen RX-7 is more eye-pleasing to me than an F-body, so I can see why muscle guys like to drop their god-awful piston engines (joke) inside the sexy little fastback. =)

Besides, those things must haul balls. There, I said it. But, I died a little on the inside. =P

BCS1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2006, 04:19 PM   #77
Chris V
The Big Meaney

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCS1988
I guess I'm a bit of a rotor-head, but I think anything other than a Rotary engine gracing the engine bay of the RX-7 is blasphemy and is mollesting "teH chassis".
This is the part I don't get. these are mass produced compromises. mechanical devices designed by people and built on a robotic assembly line. How can swapping out one method of exploding dead dinosaurs for propulsion for another be "blashemy" or "molestation?" They work better than they did stock. They have no souls, and they have no feelings.

And they aren't even rare or valuable (when dead ones are under $500, nice ones can be had under $2500, and rotary enthusaists tell other rotary enthusaists not to pay more than $500 for one that's perfect other than the engine, then how can ANYONE shed a tear for a car that is been lovingly rebuilt by an enthusiast owner? Especially when they've been proven to work so well?)

No one says people have to make them V8s, so why say they have to be rotary?

2013 MINI JCW Roadster
2023 Chevy Bolt
Chris V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2006, 05:16 PM   #78
BCS1988
AF Newbie

It was a joke. Guess my sarcasm doesn't translate well into the internet.

Like I said, I have no real problem with V8 swaps in RX-7s. If you have the money to do it, by all means, do it. I was just stating that I have a bit of love for the Rotary engine, if you or any others don't, that's perfectly okay with me. Not like it's gonna kill me or anything. Everyone has their opinions about cars, to each his own.

And, you're right, it doesn't have to be rotary powered, that's up to the owner of the car. Not trying to start a flame war or anything, I was just stating my opinion.

BCS1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2006, 05:14 PM   #79
Chris V
The Big Meaney

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCS1988
It was a joke. Guess my sarcasm doesn't translate well into the internet.

Like I said, I have no real problem with V8 swaps in RX-7s. If you have the money to do it, by all means, do it. I was just stating that I have a bit of love for the Rotary engine, if you or any others don't, that's perfectly okay with me. Not like it's gonna kill me or anything. Everyone has their opinions about cars, to each his own.

And, you're right, it doesn't have to be rotary powered, that's up to the owner of the car. Not trying to start a flame war or anything, I was just stating my opinion.
Ok. OTOH, there's no reason to assume that because someone like me put a V8 in their RX7 that they have no love for rotaries. I've owned an R100, RX2, 2 RX3s, a couple first gen RX7s and a 2nd gen RX7 that I autocrossed successfully for a year before doing the V8 conversion (when the stock engine died. And ironically I put the V8 in it because I didn't have the money to rebuild the stock rotary, much less make it have any sort of power...). I've put rotaires in non rotary cars and crewed for both an SCCA rally team with an RX2 and an IMSA RS team that campaigned an RX3 and a rotary powered Formula Libre.

And I'm just stating my opinion when I say that people who make inaccurate and rude comments about V8s in RX7s simply don't know what they are talking about.

2013 MINI JCW Roadster
2023 Chevy Bolt
Chris V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2006, 11:10 AM   #80
TurboGSR96
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to TurboGSR96

I seen Grand National Motors in Jeeps, I thought that was pretty cool
My buddy got a TT 4.0 GN in a 95 Mustang LX....funny huh

R.I.P 00' ITR #479
1996 GSR: Built Bottom - Built Head - Big Injectors - Big Turbo - Computer Thingy - 500+ whp

*2-6-06* Waiting for the Full-Race Stg 3 with GT35R
.82 a/r Upgrade and Nitrous Express NXL

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2241056
TurboGSR96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2006, 04:43 PM   #81
Filthy Sanchez
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboGSR96
I seen Grand National Motors in Jeeps, I thought that was pretty cool
My buddy got a TT 4.0 GN in a 95 Mustang LX....funny huh
Actually saw that at the Buick Turbo Nationals as well as a 67' Camaro with a twin turbo Duttweiler Buick V6, an S10 with a turbo Buick V6, a 78' Firebird Trans-am with one, a Cadillac CTS with a GNX engine, a Metro converted to rear drive (basically a drag car) with a GNX, and about half a dozen RX7s converted as well.
Filthy Sanchez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2006, 12:53 PM   #82
iPoddity
AF Regular

Send a message via AIM to iPoddity

over in Ohio Chuck Mallet will drop an LS1 into your Pontiac Solctice

i saw a 4.6 liter Northstar in an early ninties VW Golf

but i think my favorite is the SR20DET in a Datsun 510.

its just badass

In The Works
Audio:
replace stock speakers with Pioneers, plus two tweeters built into the dash or doors. costume sub box in place of center console, still picking subs, probably a pair of eights
Engine & Suspension: Ram air intake, Daul side exhaust, ignition and wires, hoter cam if available, need to learn how to port heads, some kind of cute dress up kit. lowering springs, stiffer shocks, and tie bars, and wheels (Weld Racing perhaps)
iPoddity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2006, 05:15 PM   #83
280ZXbassist
AF Newbie

hate: an ls1 engine into any rx-7.....i dont see the point, sure you're makin the numbers, but the extra weight kills it on the track.

Love: a '99 Nissan Sklyine GT-r R34 engine into my '79 Datsun 280ZX turbo....truly an ungodly amount of power.

a swap i wanna do.

I have an 86' AE86 Corolla that hasnt been treated nicely(not by me, mind you) and the engine has all sorts of problems. i want to put in a V6 engine, posibly Nissan, like the RB26dett, or the K series motors.(those are nice) anyone with advice or another suggestion email me. BassJazzStar@hotmail.com
280ZXbassist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2006, 07:55 PM   #84
BlackGT2000
AF Enthusiast

This thread is pretty old, but I have heard nothing but good things come out of the LS1 RX7s. The LS1 isn't as heavy as you would like to believe. The weight isn't effected all that much.
BlackGT2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2006, 09:38 AM   #85
280ZXbassist
AF Newbie

well, the weight may not affect it as much like you said, but in a test between 2 rx-7's (one with a rotary, one with the ls1) the rotary walked away from it in everything, and the ls1 had over 100 more horses and a fair amount of more torque than the rotary. both were tuned by shops that specialized in that particular engine. what did that lead me to believe? the ls1 does weigh more than the rotary, and the weight in the front end messed with the handling, or something of the like.
Old 10-14-2006, 03:17 PM   #86
BlackGT2000
AF Enthusiast

I would like to see that test, I don't believe that an LS1 rx7 with over a hundred more horses lost in a race against a rotary one with less hp and torque.
BlackGT2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2006, 10:58 PM   #87
Dyno247365
AF Enthusiast

Like - LS1 into anything

Dislike - LS7 swaps period, because it's a waste of a good LS7, whereas there's enough LS1s for everybody

Dislike - Rotaries into anything other than an RX-7, why? It's stupid and I sorta agree with the guy saying that he doesn't want a piston engine in his car for the same reason, but for what he said about my engine and my car, he's a ******************-********-*****cker.

1996 Dodge Ram 1500 5.2L 5spd!!!
1987 Chevy Iroc-Z- -Needs a new cat
1992 Nissan 240sx 5spd- SOLD
Dyno247365 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2006, 11:01 PM   #88
Dyno247365
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackGT2000
I would like to see that test, I don't believe that an LS1 rx7 with over a hundred more horses lost in a race against a rotary one with less hp and torque.
The reason people do this swap anyway is because the LS1 has more power to start with. They don't usually think once it's in they'll mod the piss out of it. To me the FD LS1 got old FAST and I'd rather see cars with their engines get modded.

Like - V6 swap into Geo Metro, because you can't get tired of a 9 second metro.

1996 Dodge Ram 1500 5.2L 5spd!!!
1987 Chevy Iroc-Z- -Needs a new cat
1992 Nissan 240sx 5spd- SOLD
Dyno247365 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2006, 02:16 PM   #89
blakscorpion21
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by 280ZXbassist
hate: an ls1 engine into any rx-7.....i dont see the point, sure you're makin the numbers, but the extra weight kills it on the track.

Love: a '99 Nissan Sklyine GT-r R34 engine into my '79 Datsun 280ZX turbo....truly an ungodly amount of power.

a swap i wanna do.

I have an 86' AE86 Corolla that hasnt been treated nicely(not by me, mind you) and the engine has all sorts of problems. i want to put in a V6 engine, posibly Nissan, like the RB26dett, or the K series motors.(those are nice) anyone with advice or another suggestion email me. BassJazzStar@hotmail.com

the ls1 doesnt weigh much more than a standard rotary engine, i saw a test between a rotary rx7, ls1 rx7 and a ls1 camaro, (all had equal power) and they finished in that order in a track test, only because the rotory rx7 had a better suspension setup than the ls1 rx7. i beleive the magazine was sport compact car or something like that.
Old 10-16-2006, 02:45 PM   #90
280ZXbassist
AF Newbie

yeah, the mag was superstreet and i believe the ls1 rx-7 had almost 100 more horses and they did finish in that order. i may be wrong, but thats what i think.

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Cars in General