Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Classic Cars
Classic Cars Do you just love the classics?
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 04-03-2017, 04:38 PM   #1
DarthDennis
AF Newbie

Muscle car for the mechanically challenged

I would love an old muscle car. My concern is this: How difficult would it be for a inexperienced (i.e. I can change oil and a tire) to learn how to maintain one?

I would only have around 10-15K to invest. No real interest in show quality, just want something fun to mess with on the weekend. My problem is I'm great with a computer, not so much with a wrench. I'd love to learn and have a few family members that are car guys that are more than qualified to help.Is a 1968-74 or so muscle car a bad idea for an inexperienced owner/mechanic?

As an alternative, albeit a less appealing choice: what about a mid 80's - early nineties camero/firebird or such. Would that be easier to maintain for weekend fun? Definitely cheaper to buy, but not my desired style.
DarthDennis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017, 05:20 PM   #2
Stealthee
Your worst nightmare

Re: Muscle car for the mechanically challenged

Cheap, Fast, Reliable you can only have two.

It all depends on what car you desire on if you can actually afford a driver. There are some muscle cars that will run you more than that that are already in driveable condition.

If a project car is more your direction then it opens up your options, but being inexperienced as you call yourself that may not be the best idea.

The only way to learn is to do. I worked around the garage with my dad from the time I was very young. Even so I was still relatively inexperienced when it came to actually diagnosing and working on one myself. I finally got to the point where I was tired of the way my dad was trying to diagnose "new school" fuel injected systems and started doing the work myself with lots of internet research.

I've gotten to the point now that my dad, my uncles, etc all call me for help on things they can't figure out.

All my ramblings here are meant to mean is the internet is full of information and you can learn how to properly maintain any car with lots of your own research.

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Classic Cars