Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Cars in General
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 04-15-2014, 12:57 AM   #1
ShawnaGotschall
AF Newbie

Question Inspecting car before buying

I have a friend who was going to buy a car from another friend. She was supposed to take it and have it inspected before buying. She was told it had bad brakes and may need rotors. She gave my other friend 500 and took the car. She took it to a garage to have it checked out and the mechanic told her she would have to fix the brakes before he could inspect it because he would have to drive it and it was too dangerous. She paid 300 to fix the brakes and then he told her the wheel bearings were bad and the transmission was shot!

2 questions:
Does a mechanic need to drive a vehicle to see if there is anything wrong?

If the transmission and wheel bearings are shot, will the vehicle even move?

Last edited by ShawnaGotschall; 04-15-2014 at 03:04 AM.
ShawnaGotschall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 02:12 AM   #2
Allenriddoch
AF Newbie

Re: Inspecting car before buying

It is good that you are buying used vehicle as it is the better option when one have less financial budget but make sure that the vehicle your friend is offering to you should be in good condition and for this inspecting the vehicle is very important. Only the car mechanic will inspect the vehicle well and can tell you whether the vehicle will be able to move or not. I think you should ask your mechanic that how much it would cost you to put the car in good running order.
Allenriddoch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 05:51 PM   #3
crumpd13
AF Newbie

I think an inspection before you purchase the vehicle is the best insurance you will spend. At our shop it costs 65$. More or less in other shops, but well worth it. Even sellers might not know what problems they have. So I highly recommend an inspection.
crumpd13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2014, 11:47 PM   #4
Dave B.
AF Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShawnaGotschall View Post
Does a mechanic need to drive a vehicle to see if there is anything wrong?
Not necessarily. An experienced mechanic can spot many problems with just a visual inspection. The wheel bearings and/or transmission could have been making noise when driven into the shop or could have exhibited other clues when inspected.

Quote:
If the transmission and wheel bearings are shot, will the vehicle even move?
In most cases, yes it could move and very likely still drive down the road, although it would probably make noise or exhibit other odd characteristics.

Quote:
She took it to a garage to have it checked out and the mechanic told her she would have to fix the brakes before he could inspect it because he would have to drive it and it was too dangerous.
Having said all that I have so far, I'd also have to say that this is a very suspicious set of circumstances. While $300 isn't completely out of the ordinary realm of pricing for brake repair, it still is a lot. Is this 'mechanic' someone she - or you or the seller - has dealt with before? If not, I'd be checking something like Angie's List or polling my friends for the name of another garage for a second opinion. I'm sure that she's trying to save money; but, if this mechanic isn't honest, he could well bleed your friend dry financially by continuing to find things that 'had' to be fixed.
In my opinion, it would be worth her while to take the car home with the repaired brakes and have it re-inspected by someone she knows to be trustworthy.
Dave B. is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Cars in General