Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > BMW > 5 Series
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 11-29-2003, 10:50 AM   #1
loosehead
AF Newbie

trans programme 525

i have a 92 525i automatic and getting" trans programme ".i think it is electrical because the lite flicker.anybody have a simlar problem or solution?thanks
loosehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2003, 08:47 PM   #2
nealgentry
AF Newbie

Send a message via Yahoo to nealgentry
Re: trans programme 525

one of your transmission pumps are going out... i had the same problem with my 1991 735i it made my car sluggish sometimes and it happend sparaticly depending on the temp of the drivetran..
nealgentry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2004, 11:29 PM   #3
server_bmw
AF Newbie

Same thing happening here to me...I have a 1991 525i / M50, and occasionally the transmission goes out with the message: "trans programme" on the system monitor. Try changing your transmission pumps and tell me the result. Mine still does the same thing. Thanks...
server_bmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2004, 10:16 AM   #4
hajiama
AF Newbie

transmission program

I'm having the same problem. (1992 525i) did you find out the problem
thanks for sahring
hajiama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2004, 07:42 PM   #5
jeffreyb4me
AF Enthusiast

Just a suggestion here, spend a couple of dollars on a MoDiC or DIS fault survey to check the codes and speak with someone experienced with BMW's, if they have a MoDiC, they likely have experience.

One more suggestion, don't start throwing parts at a problem 'til you know what the problem is.....you can't open a cover panel and swap trans. pumps.

Many of these problems are 'electrical' OR 'electronic' in nature, you still need a map lest you get lost in the forest of green.......dollars.....jeffb.
jeffreyb4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2005, 05:27 AM   #6
imnprsd
AF Regular

Can you tell me what you did to fix your trany problem? I just bought my first BMW, (1992, 525i) and it's doing the same thing.
imnprsd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2005, 08:19 PM   #7
imnprsd
AF Regular

Re: Re: trans programme 525

Note: I did a STOMP test and my Oxigen Sensor (code 1221) was flagged. I also drained the transmission fluid and I only got about 2.5 qts out. I refilled it with 3.2 qts and after driving it a bit the trany was paractically back to normal operation. Then the transmission programme light came on again, but after that inscident it has not come on since. I'm going to replace my 0x-2 sensor and do another trany drain. If this fixes my problem I'll let you know.
Old 07-09-2005, 10:36 PM   #8
imnprsd
AF Regular

Re: Re: trans programme 525

I took the car to a honest transmission shop and they replaced the filter, fluid, and adjusted the shift linkage. I immediately noticed an improvement in performance. They also told me there was a slight leak in one of my transmission pan seals. I don't know if that would imply my tranny was sucking air, but I can tell you the transmission programme light does not come on any more and it's running great. Also, my mpg vacume gage is registering higher when driving in the city. Note: At the same time I put some fuel injector cleaner in my gas tank and that seems to have cleaned off the carbon on the Oxygen sensor. Anyway, I am not getting a O-2 failure code when I do a STOMP test, and that may also have something to do with the transmisison performance???

Can anyone confirm that an O-2 sensor can have a negative affect on the transmisison (DME) if it's not working properly?
Old 08-16-2005, 04:25 AM   #9
imnprsd
AF Regular

I FOUND THE FIX.... In my transmission anyway. You need to remove the gear selector switch and clean it. If after inspection you see some copper traces worn away, replace it.

Also, some other symptoms are:

1) Poor gas mileage. After cleaning my gear selector switch, my tranny ran better and climbed hills better and go 3 more MPH (24 HWY) with better acceleration.

2) My dash lights which tell me what gear I am in are now clearer. Previously, some pixels were not lighting up or were randomly lighting up.

What a relief... And it did not cost me a dime to fix!!!!

Procedure:

1) Put the gear in nuetral and remove the alan screw on the shift lever.
2) Lift the cover plate up... Be careful not to damage the plasic piece which rolls up the shifter cover plate (BTW, my cover plate needed replacing so I ordered one from BMA for ~$4). To do this, pri-up the sides but try to lift from the top of the cover plate first and not the back half.
4) Remover the 2 alan screws that hold down the white plastic gear shifter (the one where the shifter lever has a pin to move the contact switch).
5) Clean the switch with contact cleaner.... Just stuff a rag inside and use a small flat head screw driver to clean. Then replace.
6) While you are at it you might as well vacume the crud in this area!

The gear selector switch is also called a neutral selector switch. It operates like a washing machine timer; i.e., over time the contacts get dirty or wear out.

IF YOU ARE EXPERIENCING LOW GAS MILEAGE, AND YOU TRANNY POPS OUT OF GEAR ONCE IN A WHILE, THIS COULD BE YOUR SOLUTION.

...NOW AREN'T YOU GLAD YOU BELONG TO A FORUM LIKE THIS ONE. PLEASE RETURN THE FAVOR IF YOU FIND A CURE TO YOUR MECHANICAL PROBLEMS SO EVERYONE CAN SAVE SOME MONEY.... In your case, cleaning the gear selector switch solves your problem, you just saved a premature transmission overhaul and ~$2000 to $2400!!!
Old 12-17-2005, 11:22 AM   #10
bump0122
AF Newbie

trans program indicator

I have a similar problem. I had the trans. overhauled and about 8 mths later the trans program light started going on and off repeatedly. Several experts have hooked up the computer but the readout shows NO messages. I have had the transmission filter and fluid replaced, shifter rebuilt and a new control box for the sensor readouts put in. No success. The transmission works fine but the almost constant ringing of the trans program indicator is driving me carzy. Any ideas?
bump0122 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 01:37 AM   #11
only bmw's for me
AF Newbie

Some good answers. The problem is in every auto 525I it trans is a piece of junk. From 89 to 96 as to what I've owned and had trouble with every 1 of the auto cars had a 4l30-e trans. The same tranny is in several other makes and models. The trans is a very weak General Mts transmission, you know it if your car has a 4sp automatic, I've had like 8 of them go bad in different 5-series cars...... The 530-40 and 7-series all get the 5sp auto trans..... Sometimes they can be rebuilt but at a whopping $3-5k.....Bill.
only bmw's for me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 08:05 AM   #12
Senator09
AF Newbie

Question Re: trans programme 525

Who has an idea of how I can get out of the "trans programm" error in my 525i. I have done almost everything listed in this forum page including changing my complete gear box. yet the problem persist and no one seem to know anything. The constant "bing" tone turns me off completely and the car will suddenly shift to gear three and began to find it very difficult to move. I have replaced the gear selector switch, the troutle clutch, the gear box all to no avail. I'm tired of this car called BMW.
Senator09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 02:58 PM   #13
Canadianfuture
AF Newbie

My 92 525i w/4L30-e auto transmission has this "trans program" deal going on so.... while in the drive gear, the transmission would "free-wheel" then engauge which sends 5000 rpm's worth of torque to the rear end. Sound familiar? Well, I removed the passengers side kick panel, removed glove box and speaker, then found the TCM. I checked the TCM for ground, ohms, and voltage , using a Digital Multi-meter, and they were good. I am told the removable EPPROM can be the culprit. This is something to look into.
Secondly, I removed the shifter handle and the shift panel, to reveal the "Neutral Safety Switch"....remove and CLEAN this switch, it looks like a gear selector switch, white in color. Mine is in really bad shape, so I need a new one. The "Shift lock Solenoid" can also be a isssue. It is located to the right of the shift lever, gold in color with two allen bolts holding attaching it.
All I am trying to attempt here is isolate the electrical issues before REPLACING the transmission.
Does anyone agree with this?
Canadianfuture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 04:37 AM   #14
safwan051432
AF Newbie

Smile Re: trans programme 525

o2 sesnsors dont have any relation with the transmission, it just sends signal to your dme about the carbon in your exhaust gas
safwan051432 is offline   Reply With Quote