Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Lincoln > LS | MKZ
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 12-16-2013, 10:11 PM   #196
Trrrex92
AF Newbie

Re: codes P0171, P0174 Lincoln LS V6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by shorod View Post
It seems like confirming that fuel pressure is the issue would be a good place to start, followed by confirming that the fuel pumps are getting power. There are two on the LS, the primary and a "jet" pump.

With the miles on your LS, if the pumps have not been replaced already, they are probably overdue.

-Rod

My car starts fine out now. Fuel pump turns on a d everything after not turning on for 2 and half weeks. Can a old fuel pump only work when it wants too?
And if my fuel pumps quits Turning on again, how do I test if the fuel pump is getting power?
Trrrex92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 06:55 AM   #197
shorod
SHO No Mo

Yep, a modern fuel pump consists of an electric motor. The electric motor can fail to run randomly. Kind of like how a starter motor can sometimes fail to run, yet a tap with a broomstick (etc.) can get it to work again for some amount of time.

To confirm whether or not the fuel pumps are getting power you can remove the rear seat bottom cushion and check for voltage at the connectors. For the main fuel pump module, I'd suggest making two measurements. First, confirm you have power to the Green/Orange wire at the pump using a known good ground. If so, connect the ground lead of the meter to the Black/Red wire and see if you still have voltage.

I didn't notice the wiring schematic for the transfer/jet pump when scrolling through this morning, but the voltage checks would be similar to the main pump.

The computer uses PWM modulation to power the fuel pumps so you may not see full battery voltage when measuring across the wires for the fuel pump. Also, be aware that the pump does not run constantly when the key is off and engine not running so you'll need to have the test light/multimeter installed when you turn the key on. You'll probably need to make several iterations of "key off, wait several seconds, turn key back on and record measurement."

-Rod
shorod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 07:20 AM   #198
Trrrex92
AF Newbie

Quote:
Yep, a modern fuel pump consists of an electric motor. The electric motor can fail to run randomly. Kind of like how a starter motor can sometimes fail to run, yet a tap with a broomstick (etc.) can get it to work again for some amount of time.

To confirm whether or not the fuel pumps are getting power you can remove the rear seat bottom cushion and check for voltage at the connectors. For the main fuel pump module, I'd suggest making two measurements. First, confirm you have power to the Green/Orange wire at the pump using a known good ground. If so, connect the ground lead of the meter to the Black/Red wire and see if you still have voltage.

I didn't notice the wiring schematic for the transfer/jet pump when scrolling through this morning, but the voltage checks would be similar to the main pump.

The computer uses PWM modulation to power the fuel pumps so you may not see full battery voltage when measuring across the wires for the fuel pump. Also, be aware that the pump does not run constantly when the key is off and engine not running so you'll need to have the test light/multimeter installed when you turn the key on. You'll probably need to make several iterations of "key off, wait several seconds, turn key back on and record measurement."

-Rod
Do I use the wires on the battery side of the connector or fuel pump side? The wires on the fuel pump side are black, red, yellow, and black and red.
I also have no idea what to set my multimeter on.
Trrrex92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 08:37 AM   #199
joegr
AF Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trrrex92 View Post
Do I use the wires on the battery side of the connector or fuel pump side? The wires on the fuel pump side are black, red, yellow, and black and red.
I also have no idea what to set my multimeter on.
Use the wires on the "battery side." You may have to clean them to be able to see the colors.
joegr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 08:38 AM   #200
joegr
AF Regular

Quote:
...I didn't notice the wiring schematic for the transfer/jet pump when scrolling through this morning, but the voltage checks would be similar to the main pump...
The jet pump is not electrically powered. It is powered by the flow of fuel from the main (electric) pump. The electrical connections to the jet pump assembly are only for the fuel level sender on that side.
joegr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2014, 06:06 PM   #201
jamisonke
AF Newbie

All, I want to thank ya'll for your posting and activity on this forum regarding these codes.
My car failed emissions testing and had been reporting these codes previously. I had checked for vacuum leaks, replace intake gaskets and all that jazz.

I read up on this forum of previous experiences that some of ya'll had, and your suggestions about the PVC elbow, so took everything off in order to get to it and sure enough, that thing was trashed. Had I not happened across this forum and you good folks I can't say I'd ever have found that problem...

Thank you to all of you! This is great!. My suggestion to anyone else that is having problems with these codes is to take the time to dig in and check/replace that elbow... if for nothing else but peace of mind.

Thanks again all!
-Ken
jamisonke is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jamisonke For This Useful Post:
shorod (06-30-2014)
Old 08-04-2014, 08:16 AM   #202
Azazan
AF Newbie

Hey rod
I'm throwing the same codes p0171 and p0174 on my
2000 lincoln ls (v6) 82k miles
Replaced:
Fuel filter
Air filter
All oxygen sensors
Spark plugs
Coils
IAC
MAF
TPS
fuel injector treatments

The pcv is what seems ( after reading about
Everyone else's) to bey problem
I was needing the file you sent them
I'm going to go ahead and replace everything even the infamous elbow

Sent from my iPhone
Azazan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2015, 11:10 AM   #203
lincoln75th
AF Newbie

My 2001 lincoln ls v6 133k is not happy any advice

1☆) Symptoms
•Car will only rev up when warm (200°+)
•po174, po171
•horn not working
•cut off at operating temperature
•catalytic converter glows red
• check engine light won't come on

♢ what I done so far
* clean fuel injectors and test them
*Replace ignition coils
*Replace tps, all 3 pcv and egr sensor
*Cleaned maf and IAC
*Change spark plugs
*removed exhaust system no change in engine performance
* spread around engine for vacuum leaks with Carbon cleaner no change in engine
lincoln75th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2015, 05:11 PM   #204
shorod
SHO No Mo

Do you have access to a scan tool that can monitor various sensors in real time? The glowing catalytic converter and P017x codes are clues, and likely related.

-Rod
Old 07-05-2015, 09:57 PM   #205
lincoln75th
AF Newbie

Quote:
Do you have access to a scan tool that can monitor various sensors in real time? The glowing catalytic converter and P017x codes are clues, and likely related.

-Rod

I was running two test today 1 with my scan tool and the other with a multimeter watching the maf and i got two different readings off it my mm: got 1.10-1.20v at 800-950 rpm at idle but my scan tool was saying .8-.9v at 800-950 rpm at idle so is it my pcm or maf
Old 07-06-2015, 06:45 AM   #206
shorod
SHO No Mo

The difference between your meter readings and the scan tool readings is still 0.1 volt, so I wouldn't say it's either the PCM or the MAF. I'd just say you had a difference in readings. Could be the calibration, could be wire resistive loss, could be multiple things.

You really need to monitor the MAF performance over multiple engine speeds as well as how quickly it responds to blips of the throttle and letting off the throttle to make sure it doesn't jump around or behave completely non-linearly. Then if you find a spot where it misbehaves, use your multimeter and back probe the sensor to confirm the behavior noted on the scan tool can also be noted with the multimeter.

-Rod
Old 07-07-2015, 01:05 AM   #207
lincoln75th
AF Newbie

Quote:
The difference between your meter readings and the scan tool readings is still 0.1 volt, so I wouldn't say it's either the PCM or the MAF. I'd just say you had a difference in readings. Could be the calibration, could be wire resistive loss, could be multiple things.

You really need to monitor the MAF performance over multiple engine speeds as well as how quickly it responds to blips of the throttle and letting off the throttle to make sure it doesn't jump around or behave completely non-linearly. Then if you find a spot where it misbehaves, use your multimeter and back probe the sensor to confirm the behavior noted on the scan tool can also be noted with the multimeter.

-Rod
Ok thanks i will run the test in the morning

Watch "2001 lincoln ls v6 133k" on YouTube
https://youtu.be/JzIz-ufHeB4
Old 08-24-2015, 04:08 PM   #208
Nismo240TX
AF Newbie

Ok so I'm new to this forum but it seems like you all have a lot of experience with these Lincolns. I have a 2005 LS V6 with 71,000 miles.. Late last week it began missing when cold and when it gets warm it seems to run ok. I thought it may have been bad gas, put some lucas in it and filled up at a different station to see it that would help. Didn't seem to do the trick so I took it to the parts store to get OBD2 reading which are p0174 and p0316. Before I start pulling my engine bay apart what do you all think would be the most likely issue? PCV, MAF, Coils, plugs, etc? I may have one of our workers that takes care of the fleet here at the office take a look but he really only knows v8 trucks and diesels. I did have my oil changed about 2 weeks ago (1,000 miles-yes I drive all over for work) I'm starting to wonder if they put the wrong weight of oil in..

Any advice would be helpful
Nismo240TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 10:37 PM   #209
shorod
SHO No Mo

The P0316 points to a misfire and the P0174 points to a lean condition on cylinder bank 2 (driver's side). I would suggest you start by pulling the spark plugs and coils on bank 2 and inspecting for any signs of oil contamination and worn plugs. Fortunately bank 2 is the easy one to get to on the V6. Bank 1 is quite a chore, otherwise I'd suggest swapping the coils from bank 1 to bank 2 and vice versa.

-Rod
Old 07-31-2016, 02:18 PM   #210
x10
AF Newbie

Hi Rod,

I'm new to this forum. My 2000 Lincoln LS V6 now gives me the exact symptom. Can you kindly send the instructions on replacing the PCV elbow to me by email please? Thanks in advance.
x10 is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Lincoln > LS | MKZ