Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Lincoln > LS | MKZ
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 09-29-2016, 08:40 AM   #1
CALL ENDED
AF Newbie

How to flush/fill tanny fluid?

I have a 2004 LS V6. First few days of owning it shifted fine now the shifts are a little hard When selecting gear. I've read many posts on here saying there is no area technically fill it. I have to do it from underneath. I wonder if anybody has a link or knows the step by step to this fluid changing process. I know it's pretty simple but I've never done one this way. I guess my main concern is how do I know if it's low when I begin and how do I know it's full when I'm done thanks for any
CALL ENDED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2016, 01:46 PM   #2
shorod
SHO No Mo

Re: How to flush/fill tanny fluid?

There's a dual function fill/drain plug with a stand pipe built in. Ultimately you're only able to determine if the transmission is overfull, not so much to determine if it is underfilled. With the car on a level surface, remove the center of the plug assembly. If fluid leaks out, and the fluid is not hot, the transmission was overfull. If no fluid leaks out, then you would have to meter in more fluid until it spills out to determine how under full it is. I'd have to check the manual to refresh my memory as to if the check is to be performed with the transmission up to operating temperature or if it's to be checked cold.

-Rod
shorod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2016, 11:50 AM   #3
CALL ENDED
AF Newbie

I've read that it needs to be 80-120 degrees.
So I remove plug and observe drippage.
No or low drip means add fluid into the same hole until it comes out of that hole alot.
If I remove plug and it's dripping alot it's full.
Ok. I think I got it. But how do I do an entire flush?
Old 09-30-2016, 02:39 PM   #4
shorod
SHO No Mo

Generally doing an entire flush is not recommended unless you know you contaminated fluid with something other than what is designed to be in the oil (engine coolant, water, etc.). You could create more problems flushing a transmission that doesn't have known contamination. For most cases, a drain, filter, and fill is recommended.

-Rod
shorod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2016, 05:49 PM   #5
CALL ENDED
AF Newbie

Ok. Thanks for the info. Doing filter let's alot out anyways right? Also yes I've done a trans filter before on a different vehicle and have had metal pieces and everything else come out when I did the flush. Proceeded buy continuous trans issues.
Old 10-01-2016, 07:27 AM   #6
CALL ENDED
AF Newbie

Very simple process. Unfortunately it is not due to low fluid level.
I pulled the plug out and the fluid started flowing very rapidly out there for letting me know that it was a little over full. I let it until it became a smaller drip and then replace the plug. I was hoping it would be the fluid but it's not. next.
Old 10-01-2016, 07:33 AM   #7
CALL ENDED
AF Newbie

I'm going to bring it to a shop and have them point me to the issue. I've read several things can cause this type of issue. shift solenoids, reflashing the ecm,bad ecm, broke servo pin, ect. I'm hoping that a shop can narrow it down for me so I don't have to replace everything find out. Changing the shift solenoid seems like it may correct my problem based on what I've been reading from others. That process seems pretty straightforward but the part is about $350. Any other suggestions?

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Lincoln > LS | MKZ