Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Lumina
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 10-20-2014, 09:36 AM   #1
mp2994
AF Newbie

98 lumina will start a couple times then die

Car will start and run fine. But when I take a few short trips and turn it off and on a couple times it will eventually just die. After like the third start in a short time it will studder, not rev, and then die. After this happens I have to wait an hour or two before it starts fine again. What could this be?
mp2994 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2014, 08:41 AM   #2
Schurkey
AF Enthusiast

Re: 98 lumina will start a couple times then die

I would connect a scan tool and look at O2 sensor, coolant sensor, short- and long-term fuel trim, and anything else in the data stream that seemed abnormal.

In conjunction with a fuel pressure test, I'd be surprised if there wasn't some clue as to why it runs poorly and stalls when warm, but seems to run OK before the engine is at normal operating temperature.

When was the last time this had "tune-up" services done? Spark plugs, plug wires tested, fuel filter, air filter, PCV tested, coolant flushed, etc?
For the good of the Free World, DEMAND COMPENSATION FROM CHINA for their release of the Virus Originating in the Wuhan Laboratory, released (intentionally or negligently) into the world in 2019 (VOWL-19). Ten trillion to start with, increasing as needed from there, PLUS compensation for the sickened, and "wrongful death" settlements for the families of those who didn't survive. END trade with Communist China.
Schurkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2014, 08:46 AM   #3
mp2994
AF Newbie

I've done a fuel pressure test and it was around 15-20, and from what I was told it shouldn't even run if its that far off from the normal. I compared it to my friends 98 lumina which read at 40
Old 10-21-2014, 08:55 AM   #4
Schurkey
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by mp2994 View Post
I've done a fuel pressure test and it was around 15-20, and from what I was told it shouldn't even run if its that far off from the normal. I compared it to my friends 98 lumina which read at 40
My '93 "ran" and drove 130 miles on 7 psi. 130 miles took about 8 hours, though. It stalled, bucked, refused to re-start...it was a nightmare through a mountain pass.

How old is the fuel filter? Could it be so clogged as to reduce your fuel pressure by half?

First Guess: new filter, new pump, new strainer, new in-tank wire harness.

Do it yourself for perhaps less than $150. Take it to a shop, and get charged like I did with the '93--$650. (The "out-of-town traveler" emergency rate.)
For the good of the Free World, DEMAND COMPENSATION FROM CHINA for their release of the Virus Originating in the Wuhan Laboratory, released (intentionally or negligently) into the world in 2019 (VOWL-19). Ten trillion to start with, increasing as needed from there, PLUS compensation for the sickened, and "wrongful death" settlements for the families of those who didn't survive. END trade with Communist China.
Schurkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2014, 09:10 AM   #5
mp2994
AF Newbie

Yeah I changed the fuel filter a couple months ago and I thought it maybe could be the pump, or clogged fuel lines? Its just weird because if I plan out my trips to be a couple hours apart I have no problems, it's just when I take a few short trips
Old 10-22-2014, 07:30 AM   #6
jeffcoslacker
Lactose the Intolerant

I'd carry a can of starting fluid, fog it when it fails to start and run. If it starts and runs on that fine, then dies out when that's consumed, it would confirm the problem is fuel related. If not, it would point to a heat-soak problem with something like the crank position sensor or ignition module.

At least you'd know which direction to look in.

...empty gun rack.
jeffcoslacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 08:43 PM   #7
jeffcoslacker
Lactose the Intolerant

When this happens, have you tried starting it with various levels of throttle?

About half throttle will overcome a huge vacuum leak, like a stuck EGR or Idle Air Control, and it will start, but won't idle when you drop the throttle if that's the problem.

I doubt it's flooding or you probably would have noticed fuel odor and wet plug clearing once started, but holding the throttle to the floor all the way while cranking will put the PCM in "Clear Flood Mode" and shut the injectors off. A nice little tidbit of programming, since most people were used to clearing a flooded carbureted engine this way....

...empty gun rack.
jeffcoslacker is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Lumina