Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Oldsmobile > Eighty Eight
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Eighty Eight Includes the '97-'98 Regency and '96-'99 LSS Models
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 04-17-2010, 06:53 PM   #1
elronns
AF Newbie

1997 Not Starting - P0300

Hi all,

I was on my way home from work last week and I noticed the [COLOR=blue ! important][COLOR=blue ! important]temperature [COLOR=blue ! important]gauge[/color][/color][/color] starting to go up, almost to the point where it was about to overheat. I also noticed it was running slightly sluggish, but managed to get home.

I let it sit for a day, it started up but the [COLOR=blue ! important][COLOR=blue ! important]check [COLOR=blue ! important]engine[/color][/color][/color] light was flashing, it was also running really rough.

I let it sit another day and tried to start it today and it wont crank at all. I replaced the [COLOR=blue ! important][COLOR=blue ! important]Ignition[/color][/color] Control Module but that didn't do it. The code i am reading is P0300.

Any ideas of what else it could be, or I should try replacing? My thinking is that if it was plugs, wires, or coils it would at least start but run rough.

Thanks in advance for the help
elronns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2010, 12:05 AM   #2
Hmanor3
AF Newbie

Re: 1997 Not Starting - P0300

If the engine wont crank(turn over) check the battery, starter. Check to see if the starter is receiving power when the key is in the start position.

P0300 Random/Multiple Cylinder Misfire Detected. That is the reason for the flashing service engine light. That indicates a engine misfire.

It seems from your description that you MAY have had the upper intake manifold failure that is common on the 3.8L L36, with the plastic upper intake manifold. It leaks coolant into the intake and causes overheating, misfire, and worst case hydro lock, where the coolant fills the cylinders with coolant locking engine from turning over.

To check to see if you have coolant in the cylinders you will need to pull out the spark plugs and crank the engine over, coolant should shoot out of the plug holes.
Hmanor3 is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Oldsmobile > Eighty Eight