Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > BMW > 6 Series
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 07-13-2004, 06:44 AM   #1
aluminumdisc
AF Newbie

HELP PLEASE! I have a new sunroof leak

I just had all new interior work done. That is the good news!

They had to take out the sunroof to do the headliner and now it leakes all around. I have been told that maybe the rear drains are stopped up or that weather stripping needs to be replaced. It did not leak before they messed with it so I have my doubts about the new weather stripping.

The shop said that they would pay for the repair and that is great but I do not want to stick them with a BMW dealer repair invoice. The woman who did the work is also a customer at my store and I would rather not loose her over this but at the same time it is the rainy season down here in south west Florida.

Any one had this problem?

Thanks
Your Pal
Bob
aluminumdisc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2004, 05:06 PM   #2
Antiburn
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to Antiburn
Re: HELP PLEASE! I have a new sunroof leak

You dont have to take a sun roof out to take out a headliner. Its the other way around. You know what might of happen. They could of forgotten to put the drains back into the s-roof. That could cause a leak and is a very common mistake. Or they also could of pulled some gasket off and didnt put it back on with glue so now water just flows right around it.
Antiburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2004, 07:41 PM   #3
jeffreyb4me
AF Enthusiast

Re: HELP PLEASE! I have a new sunroof leak

I understan your concerns, I've had the same kind of situations.......1st, make sure the felt seal is still
intact all the way around the s/r panel. 2nd, tilt open the roof [rear up in vent position] and check
for the rear drip rail.........this is the most important
part of waterproofing the sunroof........that felt seal
isn't a real 'seal', it just impedes water flow. the water that gets through is 'routed' around the opening in the roof and headliner to the front and rear drains, the rear of the s/r is protected by this drip rail that moves fore&aft with the s/r panel.
3rd, to check the drains, open the roof fully and pour a cup of waterat each corner....you'll see the
front drain openings but not the rear. THE water will run out the bottom of the car through openings in the rocker panels or the wheel wells, sorry, can't remember which on an E24 right now. Check each
draiin this way.

there should be an independent shop in your area that's been working on these long enough to repair
your problem without going to the dealer hopefully saving you money. IF NOT, MAKE SURE the dealership has someone who's actually worked on an E24 BEFORE ! ! anyway, best to you..............jb.
jeffreyb4me is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > BMW > 6 Series