Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > BMW > 3 Series
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 11-22-2002, 11:00 AM   #1
gavelez
AF Newbie

Send a message via AIM to gavelez
Question "Check Coolant Level" message on '96 328

I have a 1996 328i, and I am getting a message on my console saying to "check coolant level" I have checked the level, and everything looks fine. Car runs fine too. Whats the deal? Also, the check engine light is now on...

PLease advise!

Goose
gavelez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2002, 01:14 PM   #2
eagerowl
AF Newbie

I also have a 1996 328 and was getting the same message a few weeks ago on cold start ups (Minnesota). I topped of the coolant...just added some to the overflow/fill reservoir. I think I added about a quart. The light hasn't come on since.

As far as the Check Engine light...that generally has to do with the vacuum. Mine came on once because I lost my gas cap. I think if you are low on coolant that might cause it to go on (I'm guessing). I'd top off the coolant and then wait a 10-14 days to see if the check engine light goes out on its own. The computer will do a periodic check and if the problem is gone it should go out. Mine did in about two weeks.

Unless the console continues to give you messages that something is amiss...then I might seek help.
eagerowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2002, 03:18 PM   #3
gavelez
AF Newbie

Send a message via AIM to gavelez
I already did add water, and still nothing. I really hate having this message pop up, as I feel like the car is "bitching"

I am probably going to have to just cough it up and take it in to have it looked at...
I will let you guys know if I find anything interesting
gavelez is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > BMW > 3 Series