Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > BMW > 3 Series
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 03-10-2006, 04:59 PM   #1
TracyQ
AF Newbie

'77 320i=$2000?

Hi, new here, just semi-committed to purchase the above with auto transmission, 145K miles, I've only seen pictures so far,but it looks to be exceptionally clean from the pictures. Supposedly no winters, so should be no rust, and when talking with the guy, he seemed straight forward and honest.

So, I know this is a nebulous question, but, gut feelings, is this a good deal, or at least "in range'?

I am just a working stiff, but have always wanted a BMW.
TracyQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2006, 05:18 PM   #2
TracyQ
AF Newbie

Re: '77 320i=$2000?

What, no opinions? Recent pic (couple of days ago).

Old 03-28-2006, 12:50 AM   #3
Dick Wolf
Banned

OK lets start with its condition. looks nice on the pic, but there will be rust under the car for sure. Sometimes those spots are hard to track, so dont really believe that it doesnt rust.

Second: its an auto 3 spd (total crap) you want 80+ 5spd car. People like it. trust me on that. You dont wanna go near those autos. tested

Third: thats a high mlg. car. Iam sure it will need work.

yes it is in the range, but it is not very desirable at this price.So there are nicer cars, dont fall for it. Make im an offer. I would go as high as $1200 for this car, if it has no rust at all.
Dick Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2006, 12:58 AM   #4
Dick Wolf
Banned

I also recomend finding an E21 enthusiast to find you a car. These particular cars are classics now, and due to their design flaws and age they do have lotsa problems. They are easy to be taken care of, but can be very frustrating.
Dick Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2006, 02:02 AM   #5
sub006
AF Enthusiast

One of my sons drives an '80 320i five-speed we picked up for $1300, it's ok but not nearly as much car as my daughter's '84 318i, which I stole for $2400 eight years ago. The '84-'91 (E30) was an improvement on the '77-'93 (E21) in almost every way.

The '84 had 105,000 original miles. It now has 220,000 and I have spent less than $2000 in eight years for to keep it running nicely - that's $20 per month!

By the way, it has the original HP22 ZF three-speed automatic trans. I have it serviced every other year with Red Line D4 ATF. This stuff is $10 a quart but the trans only needs three quarts. Still shifts like new!

Remember that these four-cylinder engines will run 250,000-300,000 miles with decent care, so don't be afraid of a 100,000 or 150,000 mile car. You should be able to nab a nice one for $1500, (LA prices) just check it over carefully. We looked at several private-seller cars over a two-month shopping period before we found THE ONE.
sub006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2006, 08:32 PM   #6
TracyQ
AF Newbie

Suboo6, is that the same transmission that is in my car (yes, I went ahead and bought it)? (BTW, I am asking about the HP22 ZF)

I'm sure there are better BMWs, and better deals, but I am enjoying this little car more every time I drive it!
Old 05-03-2006, 12:49 AM   #7
sub006
AF Enthusiast

Yes, it's the same transmission. After a little over a year of E30 production, the HP22 was replaced by a four speed automatic that gives better fuel economy and longer engine life.

I have been taking the car to the same Korean trans shop for years. I'd get some Red Line D4 from the race shop that works on my Corvette, then swing by Pep Boys for a filter kit. The last time I did this, a few weeks ago, EVERY parts store and even the local BMW dealer no longer carried this kit! The car had to sit at the shop for three days 'til we could get the part, and this in Los Angeles. Get your kit in hand well before you start work.

I have had good luck with Mann and Purolator products.

Unless you have records from the previous owner, don't wait too long to change engine oil, transmission fluid and rear end grease. Also check fuel lines and filters, belts and hoses.

I use Castrol GTX High Mileage 20W-50 oil at changes and add regular GTX of the same weight as needed in between. I change oil and filter at 90 day intervals and do trans service at two years or 25,000 miles.

If the car is burning more oil than you like or the engine is loose and noisy, I have had good luck substituting Lucas Oil Supplement for one quart of oil at each change. If you start using it in time, you can squeeze out an extra 100,000 good miles.
sub006 is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > BMW > 3 Series