Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Pontiac > Montana/Montana SV6
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 01-27-2005, 02:12 PM   #1
GTackett
AF Newbie

Question Low coolant light and no heat related?

Our 98 montana "low coolant" light has been coming off and on for a few months (even though there has always been plenty of coolant in the radiator and the reservoir). In the last week the heat has only been "hot" while controls are in the heat position only intermittently.

There is plenty of air flow. I haven't had a chance to check the temp. of the hoses to the heater core to see if they are hot, my guess is they are because when the heat does come on it comes on instantly and it is very warm.

The thermostat is operating properly as the temp. guage rises steadily and maintains 180 +/- operating temp.

I believe the Air Mix Door Actuator may be the problem, but I wonder if the "low coolant" light may have something to do with this problem.

Doe anyone know if the "low coolant" light and the Air Mix door (possible) problem could be releated?

Thanks,
Greg
GTackett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2005, 06:01 PM   #2
Hoags
AF Enthusiast

the low coolant light and air mix should not be related. A couple of possibilities on the low coolant... first check for a leak second have the intake manifold gasket checked, my 98 montana intake gasket went at about 90,000miles. You may also want to check the low coolant sensor if you coolant is old the sensor may be dirty and is triggering the signal.
As for the heat flow the air mix door may be sticking I do not have any ideas on that I belive that it is controled by vacuum but can't tell you where to begin.
Hoags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2005, 07:06 AM   #3
GTackett
AF Newbie

It appears the "low coolant" light was connected to the no heat problem.

Common problem with this engine, but a different side effect: lower intake gasket.

Either the low coolant sensor was dirty from oil contaminating it, or the coolant was low due to some being sucked into the intake.

An air pocket was being created in the coolant system (due to leaking intake gasket) which was giving me intermittent heat problems.
GTackett is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Pontiac > Montana/Montana SV6