Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Volkswagen > GTI
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 04-14-2010, 09:57 AM   #1
kuneeraj
AF Newbie

Vibration/Resonance between 65 and 75 mph

My 2010 VW GTI (MT) makes a weird vibration/resonance noise between 65 and 75 mph speeds. The vibrations can be felt through the pedals (accelerator, clutch). The noise/vibration goes away after 75. It is clear/strongest at 70. However, it is not too evident but I can notice it every time, apparently the dealership could not. They said that the wheel-bearings are fine and nothing's wrong.

I did hit a couple of pot-holes that created side-wall bubble on the two front tires. These are 18 inch huff wheels with low-profile tires.

I tried balancing the wheel (driver front only so far) that I suspected to be out of whack, it did not help either. I am going to try balancing or swapping the other wheels today (rear to front).

What could be the reason for the noise?
kuneeraj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 03:03 PM   #2
Gtivr698
AF Newbie

Re: Vibration/Resonance between 65 and 75 mph

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuneeraj View Post
My 2010 VW GTI (MT) makes a weird vibration/resonance noise between 65 and 75 mph speeds. The vibrations can be felt through the pedals (accelerator, clutch). The noise/vibration goes away after 75. It is clear/strongest at 70. However, it is not too evident but I can notice it every time, apparently the dealership could not. They said that the wheel-bearings are fine and nothing's wrong.

I did hit a couple of pot-holes that created side-wall bubble on the two front tires. These are 18 inch huff wheels with low-profile tires.

I tried balancing the wheel (driver front only so far) that I suspected to be out of whack, it did not help either. I am going to try balancing or swapping the other wheels today (rear to front).

What could be the reason for the noise?

Well i have a 1998 gti vr6 and the front end on yours since it is a 2010 could be built a little differently, but still basically the same, now my car would do the exact same thing around 65 mph and i mean same thing, and it was my cv shaft aka (axle assembly), the bearings were gone in them, its not something you can see, you actually have to take it off and look, i replaced both of my cv shafts and car drives like brand new
Gtivr698 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 03:06 PM   #3
Gtivr698
AF Newbie

And if it is not your cv shaft check your lower ball joints as well, if there is a bubble on the tire it shouldnt make a vibration in the throtol or clutch, you should just hear like a constant whind whirl type of thing
Gtivr698 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 03:19 PM   #4
kuneeraj
AF Newbie

Finally, finally, finally....VW found the bad bearing. They replaced it. Car glides now.
kuneeraj is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Volkswagen > GTI