Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Isuzu > Trooper | SLX | Bighorn | Wizard
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 05-21-2013, 04:36 PM   #1
eerkes
AF Newbie

Valve Train Ticking Advice

1997 Trooper V6 3.2L SOHV, 162,000 miles, no issues other than below ...

I need some expert advice. Here's the situation.
  • well known lifter ticking started about 4 years (45,000 miles) ago
  • initially ticking only occurred when oil needed changing and when this was done ticking quit
  • over time problem got worse but still was not constant being louder at times and then quieting down
  • one day when it was at its loudest a guy came over from about 5 bays away in a big gas station and told me I better add some oil before I destroyed my engine. I mention this as a gauge of how loud it was. No, I was not low of oil at the time.
  • one year (12,000) miles ago I decided to try the Mobile-1 0w-30 synthetic recommendation. Initially no change but have noticed last couple months that noise has quieted down. Currently it is so quiet that I cannot really hear any ticking when driving on a smooth road, no radio and no fan. No, I am not hard of hearing. When I pull into our garage and idle the engine I can still hear a little ticking but so little that I'm almost wondering whether this is the normal sound of this engine.
Here's my quandary. Since I have never had a constant level ticking I am assuming that I have more of a lifter tensioner issue than worn lifters or rod. My reasoning being that worn rocker arms/rod should result in a relatively steady ticking level.

What do you recommend? I was planning on tearing the engine down and replacing what was needed (rocker arms, rod, and tensioners). I might still do that but am now wondering whether I should hang tight and and see what happens. One problem I have is that I would only be able to do this work during the summer and the cost of having this work done by a someone else is prohibitive. I do not want to push the engine until I'm in a bind and forced to sell the vehicle because the problem became critical during the fall, winter or spring.

WHAT WOULD YOU DO IN MY SITUATION? THANKS!
eerkes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 12:59 AM   #2
boritz
AF Regular

Re: Valve Train Ticking Advice

I would hang tight and keep up a regular quality oil change schedule.

I have the same year & motor as you and about the same mileage. Very robust and reliable vehicle - daily driver (rural not 'burbs).

I change at least quarterly (do quite a lot of towing). Been using Castrol Magnatec 10w-40 for several years. Our air temp range is about -2C to 45C.

A lot of USA folks use the 5w-30 spec - I guess it would depend on locale.

Never had the tick.
boritz is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Isuzu > Trooper | SLX | Bighorn | Wizard