Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Cavalier > Non-Performance
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Non-Performance This is the place to discuss interior, exterior, and other non-performance related modifications.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 12-14-2004, 09:13 PM   #1
Exiledinfidel666
AF Newbie

painting interior

just bought a 2000 cavalier Z24, my first car, had it since friday and im all ready to start work on it, first thing is new stereo and since the dash needs to be dismounthed I figured it be a good time to paint the interior, I just need some guidence, its a black car some im going with the black and red theme which I like anyways, now I want to paint every bit of plastic and just all fo that, kind of dividing black top with red bottom, the red will start right below the door handle where the molding has that crease to it and follow that all around, the actual dash that comes off for the stereo will also be red, I think il use the color bond brand as its the molecularly bonding kind unless krylon fusion is just as good, does it matter? And I saw the post above my about removal but I need info about actually taking the dash out of the car to paint, how do you do this and rewire and such, this looks like it will be 2days work and a constant headace, Also would it be more worth it just to have this done and how much would it cost
Exiledinfidel666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2005, 02:58 PM   #2
noshun
AF Enthusiast

Re: painting interior

It's not hard to remove the dash. You should disconect the battery because of the airbags. You need to open the door and remove the clip on panels from the edge of the dash. You will see a small bolt holding the top part of the dash on remove that both side. Pop out the vent for the w/shiled, one screw centre at the back (closet to you) remove the two bolts in the two far corners. no open the glove compartment and on the top edge in about 3's is a cut out with two bols remove them and the top part will come out. Now fine the three bolts on the top edge of the fascia and remove them. then it will come out. the stock Deck has screws holding it in place on the fron. Remove these and then screw in your adapter. If you get the correct harness for the stereo you can wire this to the one for the new deck indoors before hitting the car. Noe conect this to the plug that came from the stock deck and you can just leave the new deck out until after you replace the dash. You can now just paint the dash. Make sure though that you thouroughly clean the dash parts as if a dash cleaner has been used it probably had silicone in it and thew paint will lift.

'Never forget Grasshopper, Not speed, smile!'
noshun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2005, 03:36 PM   #3
Classicrocjunkie
Lifted GMT-360!

Send a message via AIM to Classicrocjunkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exiledinfidel666
just bought a 2000 cavalier Z24, my first car, had it since friday and im all ready to start work on it, first thing is new stereo and since the dash needs to be dismounthed I figured it be a good time to paint the interior, I just need some guidence, its a black car some im going with the black and red theme which I like anyways, now I want to paint every bit of plastic and just all fo that, kind of dividing black top with red bottom, the red will start right below the door handle where the molding has that crease to it and follow that all around, the actual dash that comes off for the stereo will also be red, I think il use the color bond brand as its the molecularly bonding kind unless krylon fusion is just as good, does it matter? And I saw the post above my about removal but I need info about actually taking the dash out of the car to paint, how do you do this and rewire and such, this looks like it will be 2days work and a constant headace, Also would it be more worth it just to have this done and how much would it cost
The top dash is Vynal.. regular paint will not hold up. It needs to by dyed or a total over haul. I have seen people use tweed and just re-cover the entire dash. Only wires you will need to cut in order to take the dash out are the ones connecting to the cig ligther and dimmer switch.. snip and label wires( pos, neg) so putting them back together will be easy

Quote:
Originally Posted by noshun
It's not hard to remove the dash. You should disconect the battery because of the airbags. You need to open the door and remove the clip on panels from the edge of the dash. You will see a small bolt holding the top part of the dash on remove that both side. Pop out the vent for the w/shiled, one screw centre at the back (closet to you) remove the two bolts in the two far corners. no open the glove compartment and on the top edge in about 3's is a cut out with two bols remove them and the top part will come out. Now fine the three bolts on the top edge of the fascia and remove them. then it will come out. the stock Deck has screws holding it in place on the fron. Remove these and then screw in your adapter. If you get the correct harness for the stereo you can wire this to the one for the new deck indoors before hitting the car. Noe conect this to the plug that came from the stock deck and you can just leave the new deck out until after you replace the dash. You can now just paint the dash. Make sure though that you thouroughly clean the dash parts as if a dash cleaner has been used it probably had silicone in it and thew paint will lift.
ooooh ...CRJ has ownage on Noshun...

How can you forget the sticky above man!

http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbul...d.php?t=321030

2006 Chevrolet Trailblazer
2010 Glastron GT 205XL
Classicrocjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2005, 08:11 PM   #4
noshun
AF Enthusiast

Re: Re: painting interior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Classicrocjunkie

ooooh ...CRJ has ownage on Noshun...

How can you forget the sticky above man!

http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbul...d.php?t=321030
How much does that differ from my post? Not much I left a couple things out! Big Deal. The Adapter for the deck will have instructions how to do it anyhow. Isn't your sig something that I posted making you laugh loads? Worship me for I am the one that is called he!!!

Old 01-08-2005, 11:59 PM   #5
Classicrocjunkie
Lifted GMT-360!

Re: Re: Re: painting interior

Quote:
Originally Posted by noshun
How much does that differ from my post? Not much I left a couple things out! Big Deal. The Adapter for the deck will have instructions how to do it anyhow. Isn't your sig something that I posted making you laugh loads? Worship me for I am the one that is called he!!!
Read ..... \/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kustmace
There are sticky'd threads at the top of each forum. Read them before posting a question, becuase 99 times out of 100, your information is in the stickies. They were written by guys who know there stuff, so please look there first. They have "IMPORTANT" in big red letters in front of them.
This is from the rules sticky. People need to view these before they post or ask questions concerning that topic. Posting topics relating to what has been already been covered will be locked. It goes along with searching as well. But as one of the people on here i respect for accurate knowledge, i would think you would have linked them to that page. No hard feelings just trying to push people into using the search button. Replying to the same threads over and over again it like trying to watch re-runs of the teletubbies..

2010 Glastron GT 205XL
Old 01-09-2005, 12:55 AM   #6
01Cavy
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to 01Cavy

Quote:
Only wires you will need to cut in order to take the dash out are the ones connecting to the cig ligther and dimmer switch.. snip and label wires( pos, neg) so putting them back together will be easy
In his year model he shouldn't have to cut any wires. I haven't tryied the cig lighter, but I know you can disconnect the dimmer switch without cutting the wires. I've done it in my 2001 Cavy. It clips to the dimmer switch...and I believe the cig lighter is the same.
01Cavy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2005, 01:43 AM   #7
Classicrocjunkie
Lifted GMT-360!

Hopefully he would have figured that out... wait a tick.... the trim around the guage cluster, radio and hvac pannel are the ones where those are. I don't under stand what he wants to remove... top dash or guage molding..? i dunno... too late at night to think.

2010 Glastron GT 205XL
Old 01-09-2005, 10:15 AM   #8
noshun
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Hopefully he would have figured that out... wait a tick.... the trim around the guage cluster, radio and hvac pannel are the ones where those are. I don't under stand what he wants to remove... top dash or guage molding..? i dunno... too late at night to think.
All of it so he can colourise is so it reflects up onto his windhield and makes it harder to see

Old 01-11-2005, 09:31 PM   #9
bigdaveangell
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
The top dash is Vynal.. regular paint will not hold up. It needs to by dyed or a total over haul. I have seen people use tweed and just re-cover the entire dash. Only wires you will need to cut in order to take the dash out are the ones connecting to the cig ligther and dimmer switch.. snip and label wires( pos, neg) so putting them back together will be easy

Why would you cut any wires. Almost all connections unplug from the harness
bigdaveangell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2005, 12:04 AM   #10
Classicrocjunkie
Lifted GMT-360!

^^ I haven't taken my dash apart in over a yr, i don't exactly remember if they were harnesses or what.

2010 Glastron GT 205XL
Old 01-16-2005, 01:10 AM   #11
z24 fanatic
AF Regular

Send a message via AIM to z24 fanatic

leave it to me the 00' z24 is a sinch i have takin the dash apart bout 100 times and no you dont have to cut wires the dimmer headlights and cig are all on plugs you can pull out as soon as you find each of the buttons to un plug them dont just yank on them or you will fu*k it all up i can even tell you that you need a 7mm ratchet for the bolts and a phillips for the dash vent(sorry not trying to be cocky) hope that clears things up and helps
z24 fanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2005, 12:07 PM   #12
noshun
AF Enthusiast

Does anybody know the origin of the word Dashboard? Well I do. It started in the Early days with Automobiles and was actually a piece (board) of wood designed to stop any stones (dash) from the road surface!!! And they evolved from there with lack of a better name.

Old 01-16-2005, 10:43 PM   #13
Classicrocjunkie
Lifted GMT-360!

Damn your encyclopedic brain... its like you obtain everything my osmosis or somthing...

2010 Glastron GT 205XL
Old 01-16-2005, 11:05 PM   #14
noshun
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Damn your encyclopedic brain... its like you obtain everything my osmosis or somthing...
No it's just Einstein syndrome!!

Old 01-22-2005, 07:31 AM   #15
blitz/littledevil
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via MSN to blitz/littledevil
gee i didnt know that... there should be a better name for it bu ti cant think of anything right now

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Cavalier > Non-Performance