Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Mercury > Villager
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 07-25-2005, 11:58 PM   #1
mini-van-mom
AF Newbie

Unhappy 94 villager dies at high temps only

We have had our 94 villager (122k) for 5 years. The past 2 summers, once each year, it will lose power on the freeway on a longer trip on the hottest day of the year--temp guages do not read hot. After it sits a bit, good to go. This year it has done it twice in one week. Since the temp guages do not read hot and it starts up again running normally, we have been hesitant to take it in specifically for this problem. We did have it in between the two incidents this week for an oil change and general once over. We did discover that the cap on the coolant resevoir was cracked and flopping open on the top. Could this cause the problem? We did super glue the cap back together until we can find another. I'd be happy to take it in if there are a few potential causes and not just pay them to put it on the comuter for diagnostics and lighten my wallet while it's not acting up! Thanks.
mini-van-mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2005, 06:15 PM   #2
aaamillertime
AF Newbie

Send a message via AIM to aaamillertime
You might want to look at your gas cap. When you say hottest day of the year, and now twice this year. One thing comes to mind with the heat we are having this year.VAPOR LOCK !! Gas will expand in the heat. It traps air in your fuel system. Without proper ventilation the trapped air will cut off your supply of gas to the engine. When the air eventually works it's way out your fuel system the vehicle will start without a problem.

Hope this helps. It would be the first thing I'd check.
aaamillertime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2005, 09:40 PM   #3
mini-van-mom
AF Newbie

How would I check this--replace the gas cap?? This was the model recalled for the filler neck hose and we did have problems with the fuel smell inside prior to the recall--also had fuel sensors replaced. In the past year we had the fuel tank replaced due to an accident. Thanks for the idea.
mini-van-mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2005, 09:01 AM   #4
aaamillertime
AF Newbie

Send a message via AIM to aaamillertime
Re: 94 villager dies at high temps only

Could probably take it to a shop that does emissions checks. It might be cheaper to just buy one from a junk yard or auto store. Mine gets checked every other year by our lovely mandatory emmissions check. Had to replace it a few years ago.
aaamillertime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 01:59 PM   #5
ericktj
AF Newbie

Re: 94 villager dies at high temps only

You are getting vapor lock, It's more related to ethanol on gas, that appen some times to me.. only solution at place was open fuel line at fuel filter to release vapor pressure... a lot of vapor let me say, and after 2-3 start attemps to create fuel pressure again it will run normally, after that I'd put some fuel at gas station to cool a little bit fuel on tank.. that work fine for me.
ericktj is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Mercury > Villager