Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Fabrication & Tools > Machine Tools
Machine Tools Learn about metal lathes, milling machines and CNC tools.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 09-26-2009, 03:15 PM   #1
racer93
AF Enthusiast

Curious as to see what the best mill/lathe combo is?

Hey all,

I'm starting to look into buying a mill and/or lathe to make detail bits for F1 and racing subjects, including wheels, a/n fittings, and other detail items. I'd like to possibly do this as a side job (eventually as my skills increase). (There is a possibility of me being on disability shortly.)

I've read many posts (none recent, I may add) about sherline and other mini-lathes. What are people's experiences, especially those who sell their wares? Things to do, things not to? Extras to definitely go with, those that are superfluous? Drawbacks to anything I've mentioned above?

(FYI, I plan on taking a class by the local city gov't on milling and using a lathe. I know it's very general, but it can provide good basic info.)

Thanks for the info!

Daniel
racer93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 05:07 PM   #2
MPWR
Image Hosting Exceeded

Re: Curious as to see what the best mill/lathe combo is?

People's experiences are what they've written here. The best lathe/mill combo depends very much on you- including (but not limited to) your budget, your ambition, and what you plan to make, and what you'll tolerate in quality.

Sherline gear is fantastic for some people. Whether or not it's right for you depends on what you're likely to make (size being a decisive factor)- and only you can determine that.

A machining class is probably the very best way to get an introduction. After that, you'll have a much better idea of what questions to ask, and what the answers will mean.
Old 09-30-2009, 05:54 PM   #3
racer93
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPWR View Post
People's experiences are what they've written here. The best lathe/mill combo depends very much on you- including (but not limited to) your budget, your ambition, and what you plan to make, and what you'll tolerate in quality.

Sherline gear is fantastic for some people. Whether or not it's right for you depends on what you're likely to make (size being a decisive factor)- and only you can determine that.

A machining class is probably the very best way to get an introduction. After that, you'll have a much better idea of what questions to ask, and what the answers will mean.
Well, I tried to answer what I'd be building in the previous post. Nothing much larger than 1/12 F1 wheels, probably less than 2" in diameter.

What I'm really trying to get is a rough estimate of a cash outlay that is needed for a nice set up. Again, I'm wanting to make turned metal parts for 1/24, 1/20, and 1/12 race cars. Mainly F1, but also endurance racing and maybe some MotoGP stuff.

Daniel
racer93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 10:03 PM   #4
MPWR
Image Hosting Exceeded

If you want to make model parts, my biased advice would be to take a good look at Sherline gear. They are simply fantastic for that purpose. If someday you want to build a running 1/2 scale Ferrari engine or the like, you may need larger tools- at least for some operations.

It would be difficult to get running for under $1000, but you should be easily able to for under $1500 to $2000 USD. At a minimum you need a lathe and a milling column to convert it to a mill (or a separate mill), and a rotary table, plus some accessories (milling vise, cutting tools, etc.). There are also a few 'hidden cost' tools, such as a band saw for metal stock and a bench grinder (if you don't already have them).
Old 10-07-2009, 05:33 PM   #5
scale auto style
AF Newbie

hi!! i bought my combo mini lathe 5x7 in the US for about 600$ including shipping. it's a china but work VERY well. if interested let me know

yours
scale auto style is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Fabrication & Tools > Machine Tools