Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Blazer > Problem Diagnosis
Problem Diagnosis Got a problem you can't fix? Post here and one of our members will answer as soon as possible.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 03-23-2007, 05:50 PM   #1
Southlan
AF Newbie

S-10 Manual Transmission Oil Change

Need to know how to drain and add new transmission fluid for a 1994 S-10 4 wheel drive, 4.3 L, Z code 5 speed manual transmission. I tried to find some information on the tranny but only could find, from underneath, the numbers 20845. It has been a while since I changed the oil on a tranny.
There are what it looks like plugs. I thought the plugs would be 1/2 drive plugs. But, there are bigger than my 1/2 in drive. Makes me wonder if I am looking at the right thing. One of the 'plugs' is on the bottom. And another two, one above the other, are located like in the middle. And another two, one above the other, are located a little farther back.
I am wondering of these are the drain and fill plugs and what size drive to use to take them out if they are.
I thought I would be done in like 1/2 hour with this.
Thanks, Roy
Southlan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2007, 10:58 AM   #2
vtmecheng
AF Regular

Re: S-10 Manual Transmission Oil Change

I have a '95 4x4 with the 4.3Z and manual trany, don't know if it is the same setup but here is what mine is like...
Going from back to front, first there is the transfer case which has the drain/fill holes on the back side (drain is not on the bottom for this one). These plugs are fairly large and use a standard wrench or socket. Going forward to the transmission, the drain is on the bottom of the trany and requires a hex wrench instead of a socket. The fill hole is on the passengers side of the trany and also requires a hex wrench. By the way, the fill hole position makes it real fun to fill it up. I would recommend using the GM syncromesh oil for the transmission, thats all I have used and mine is running strong with 162K. Good luck and I hope this doesn't steer you wrong.
vtmecheng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2007, 11:40 PM   #3
JaVeRo
AF Regular

I made a wrench for mine by drilling a hole in a piece of angle iron about a foot long. Then I welded a metric bolt in the hole and used the head of the bolt to remove the plug. I don't remember what size it was but you can get several bolts and stick in the plug until you find one that fits.

James
JaVeRo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2007, 07:18 PM   #4
Southlan
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaVeRo
I made a wrench for mine by drilling a hole in a piece of angle iron about a foot long. Then I welded a metric bolt in the hole and used the head of the bolt to remove the plug. I don't remember what size it was but you can get several bolts and stick in the plug until you find one that fits.

James
Thanks for your post. I got to tell you that is a good idea. I don't have a welder so I am out of luck with that. I got a metric hex wrench. It did the trick. I have two fill plugs and two drain plugs. The S-10 has 231,000 miles on it, still moving down the road.
Old 05-04-2007, 07:25 PM   #5
Southlan
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtmecheng
I have a '95 4x4 with the 4.3Z and manual trany, don't know if it is the same setup but here is what mine is like...
Going from back to front, first there is the transfer case which has the drain/fill holes on the back side (drain is not on the bottom for this one). These plugs are fairly large and use a standard wrench or socket. Going forward to the transmission, the drain is on the bottom of the trany and requires a hex wrench instead of a socket. The fill hole is on the passengers side of the trany and also requires a hex wrench. By the way, the fill hole position makes it real fun to fill it up. I would recommend using the GM syncromesh oil for the transmission, thats all I have used and mine is running strong with 162K. Good luck and I hope this doesn't steer you wrong.
Thanks for your post. Sorry, it took so long to get back to you. My kid plays baseball and I have been on the move. But, I did get a metric allen wrench. On mine all the plugs are the same. The transfer case really needed some oil. The trany was OK. I went to Sears and got the largest metric allen that they had. It was around 10 bucks, so the price was right. The S-10 has 231,000 on it and still doing pretty well. I hope to get one more year out of it. Thanks again, your post helped.

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Blazer > Problem Diagnosis