Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Impala | Impala SS
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 06-22-2009, 11:15 AM   #1
nate_02
AF Newbie

Wheel Bearing Problems 2001 LS

A little over a year ago, I had a problem on my Impala where the traction system would randomly kick in when it wasn't needed, and sometimes ABS would activate as well. I took the car into a place that was recommended to me by my regular mechanic. They said the problem was the wheel bearing and sensor attached to it and they replaced it. Over the last year I've had the same problem and the same place has replaced the same wheel bearing about 6 times now under warranty. I just got my car back a week ago after they put in a different brand "higher quality" bearing, and just started to have the traction problems again yesterday.

The guy said he can't think of anything to cause the bearing to keep going bad in the same place. They have been good to me as far as replacing it 6 times over the last year at no cost, but it is annoying having to take it in every couple months. Is there anything else that can be replaced to stop the bearing from going bad?
nate_02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 01:02 PM   #2
j cAT
AF Fanatic

Re: Wheel Bearing Problems 2001 LS

Quote:
Originally Posted by nate_02 View Post
A little over a year ago, I had a problem on my Impala where the traction system would randomly kick in when it wasn't needed, and sometimes ABS would activate as well. I took the car into a place that was recommended to me by my regular mechanic. They said the problem was the wheel bearing and sensor attached to it and they replaced it. Over the last year I've had the same problem and the same place has replaced the same wheel bearing about 6 times now under warranty. I just got my car back a week ago after they put in a different brand "higher quality" bearing, and just started to have the traction problems again yesterday.

The guy said he can't think of anything to cause the bearing to keep going bad in the same place. They have been good to me as far as replacing it 6 times over the last year at no cost, but it is annoying having to take it in every couple months. Is there anything else that can be replaced to stop the bearing from going bad?
It must be from improper install....you say the bearings each time where bad ,,,describe how bad....did they all fail the same way...

if the bearings are overheating this is usually improper install..
j cAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 03:08 PM   #3
Iflylow
AF Regular

Some of the aftermarket bearings have different torques than what is stated in the service manual, and different torques than other bearings. Be sure they are using the correct torque.
Also, is it possible that the wiring harness is bad instead of the bearing? When the bearings were removed, were they bad?
Iflylow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 06:33 PM   #4
j cAT
AF Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iflylow View Post
Some of the aftermarket bearings have different torques than what is stated in the service manual, and different torques than other bearings. Be sure they are using the correct torque.
Also, is it possible that the wiring harness is bad instead of the bearing? When the bearings were removed, were they bad?
I think these repairers are pressing in the bearing too much ,,,this may cause the bearing to be distorted,,,also , the hub got damaged when the bearing was removed..
j cAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 06:22 AM   #5
ck_1500
AF Newbie

Your problem with the ABS and Traction control is probably the wiring harness going to the
the front wheel bearing sensor. They are known to go bad. GM has a replacement harness
to fix the problem. The wires in the harness seem to fray inside the insulation from the constant steering movement. The wheels bearings make a growling sound when they go bad.
ck_1500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2009, 08:25 AM   #6
richtazz
stupidity should hurt

If they are using an impact wrench to tighten the axle nut, that is why they are failing so often. Axle nuts must be torqued by hand, to the specified torque (use the torque spec in the box if it differs from the factory spec as changes in hub design can necessitate a different torque spec from factory) as the hammering action of an impact can damage the ABS wheel speed sensor and/or the bearing rollers.

Still waiting for the "good old days" I'll get to bore my future grandchildren with!
richtazz is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Tags
bearing , traction
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Impala | Impala SS