Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Dodge > Caravan | Voyager
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 12-28-2005, 09:45 PM   #31
krumcruncher
AF Newbie

Re: 1996 Dodge Grand Caravan LE AC/Heater Blower, Relay and Resistor Block Problems 101

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parky50
Hi there,

Well I had a few extra minutes this morning and I was trying to locate the Resistor Block...

I checked on the firewall by the strut as mentioned before but I could not see or feel it on my 2001. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated at this point.

Thanks,
Mike
Did you see a wire harness high up on the firewall? thats the wires connected to the RB. it's a bit tricky to replace, refer to my previous threads.
krumcruncher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2005, 06:24 AM   #32
HeadlessHorseman
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to HeadlessHorseman
Re: 1996 Dodge Grand Caravan LE AC/Heater Blower, Relay and Resistor Block Problems 101

Quote:
Hi there,
Well I had a few extra minutes this morning and I was trying to locate the Resistor Block...
Thanks,
Mike
I Googled your 2001 Resistor Block question this morning and came across a few folks out who seem to think that the Resistor Block is located on the Blower Motor itself... I do not know about this for sure.

Interestingly, the Haynes Manual (#30011) I bought several years ago covers 1996-1998, but on the http://www.Haynes.Com web site there is a notation that the current version of this same manual number covers "all models '96 thru '02 Does not include information on All-Wheel Drive and alternative fuel models. Includes Grand Caravan".

Maybe the current version (if there is one) of Haynes Manual #30011 is more helpful for your purposes... if an updated manual really does exist, hopefully Haynes has done a better job this time describing and troubleshooting these types of AC/Heating Blower issues... the manual I have is woefully inadequate.

On the http://www.Chiltonsonline.Com web site, their current manual only seems to cover 1996-1999 - no new millennium Caravan stuff at all. Sorry I cannot be more helpful on the location of the Resistor Block in your '01 GC.

Last edited by HeadlessHorseman; 12-29-2005 at 09:31 AM.
HeadlessHorseman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2006, 06:57 AM   #33
HeadlessHorseman
AF Enthusiast

Hey Parky50, how did you make out with locating the Resistor Block on your '01? Has anyone else out there with an '01 had a problem locating the Resistor Block and, if so, where is it actually located?

Last edited by HeadlessHorseman; 01-04-2006 at 08:09 AM.
Old 01-04-2006, 08:35 AM   #34
Parky50
AF Newbie

Send a message via Yahoo to Parky50
Re: Re: 1996 Dodge Grand Caravan LE AC/Heater Blower, Relay and Resistor Block Problems 101

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeadlessHorseman
Hey Parky50, how did you make out with locating the Resistor Block on your '01? Has anyone else out there with an '01 had a problem locating the Resistor Block and, if so, where is it actually located?
I should get some time this afternoon to take another shot at it. I'll report back here with my findings... Wish me luck !!!

Mike
Parky50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2006, 09:07 AM   #35
HeadlessHorseman
AF Enthusiast

Re: Re: Re: 1996 Dodge Grand Caravan LE AC/Heater Blower, Relay and Resistor Block Problems 101

Quote:
I should get some time this afternoon to take another shot at it. I'll report back here with my findings... Wish me luck !!!

Mike
I wish you luck, Mike! I would also be interested in knowing a couple of other things (if you don't mind )...

1.) What is the socket NUMBER of the 40amp fuse for the Blower Motor Relay of your '01 (this number is different for 1996 [Socket #3], 1997 [Socket #7] and 1998 [Socket #21]), and

2.) Where is the socket LOCATION of the 40amp fuse for the Blower Motor Relay of your '01 (my '96's socket is located in the Power Distribution Center [PDC] under the hood, driver-side).

Thanks in advance and Good Luck again!
Old 01-04-2006, 05:25 PM   #36
Parky50
AF Newbie

Re:1996 Dodge Grand Caravan LE AC/Heater Blower, Relay and Resistor Block Problems 101

Quote:
I wish you luck, Mike! I would also be interested in knowing a couple of other things (if you don't mind )...

1.) What is the socket NUMBER of the 40amp fuse for the Blower Motor Relay of your '01 (this number is different for 1996 [Socket #3], 1997 [Socket #7] and 1998 [Socket #21]), and

2.) Where is the socket LOCATION of the 40amp fuse for the Blower Motor Relay of your '01 (my '96's socket is located in the Power Distribution Center [PDC] under the hood, driver-side).

Thanks in advance and Good Luck again!
Dang if I can find that Resistor Block...
I tried looking again on the firewall, just can't seem to see anything in there up high or lower with three wires running into it...
There appears to be some kind of cover that is mounted up high on the firewall and it appears to go over the wiper motors and such. I will take that off next to see if that Resistor Block is hiding behind there.

I tried looking on the blower motor too. There was a little black box that was held on by two screws and had a set of small wires running into the back... I thought I was going to luck out there...
It was a little motor assembly with gears in there... I'm guessing that would be the motor for the "Blend Door". I put that back together and installed it back on the blower motor.

As far as the Blower Motor Relay... It is located in the engine compartment in the IPM - Integrated Power Module right next to the battery. I'm not sure of the socket number but I was able to scan a pic of the cover and labeled them to post a pic on the forum. I'm unable to attach anything so I could e-mail you HeadlessHorseman if you would like to see the exact location of the Blower Motor Relay.

Thanks,
Mike
Old 01-05-2006, 12:55 PM   #37
Parky50
AF Newbie

Thumbs up Yippy !!!

I found the Resistor Block located directly behind the glove box on my 2001 Caravan. Simply open the glove box and push in the two tabs on each side to open the door all the way and there it is !!!

Part # 4885583-AB RESISTOR 8035022

Heater Blower works like a charm now !!!

Thanks to all for the information and direction...
Old 01-05-2006, 03:02 PM   #38
HeadlessHorseman
AF Enthusiast

Re: Re:1996 Dodge Grand Caravan LE AC/Heater Blower, Relay and Resistor Block Problems 101

Quote:
...As far as the Blower Motor Relay... It is located in the engine compartment in the IPM - Integrated Power Module right next to the battery. I'm not sure of the socket number but I was able to scan a pic of the cover and labeled them to post a pic on the forum. I'm unable to attach anything so I could e-mail you HeadlessHorseman if you would like to see the exact location of the Blower Motor Relay.

Thanks,
Mike
A picture would be great, Mike. Thanks... My email address is HeadlessHorseman@SNET.Net. Congratulations and I'll keep my fingers crossed that you nailed the problem!
Old 01-06-2006, 12:39 PM   #39
Parky50
AF Newbie

E-mail sent HeadlessHorseman...
Old 01-06-2006, 02:17 PM   #40
HeadlessHorseman
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
E-mail sent HeadlessHorseman...
Thanks again... got it... like I said in my email, I did not realize how different a 2001 3.8L looks from a 1996 3.8L under the hood. Amazing. It is comforting to know that Chrysler moved the Blower Motor Relay from the firewall under the driver-side dashboard (behind the Junction Box/BCM) and put it where it is FAR easier to reach... under the hood!

Last edited by HeadlessHorseman; 01-07-2006 at 08:01 AM.
Old 01-16-2006, 06:34 AM   #41
HeadlessHorseman
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by bolognaman
I was just curious if anyone had more info for a 97 caravan. My issue is that the blower will work fine when it is cooler weather, but after it sits in the sun for awhile the blower won't come on at all. The fuse is still good, I couldn't see anything wrong with the relay (located in the power distribution center under the hood) but how can you tell with a 1 x 1 black box, and I couldn't find anything wrong with wiring behind the glove box. I'm open to suggestions, just trying to avoid multiple trips to the parts store. The material in this post has been helpful.
Don't know if you're still visiting this thread, but I would start with the Blower Motor RELAY, then the MOTOR. Resistor Blocks usually either work or they don't.
Old 01-17-2006, 04:11 PM   #42
carolinaquestions
AF Newbie

What a great thread. You guys are tops.

97 grand caravan blower problem- My better half's blower motor quit completely. I replaced it and it worked great! I was a hero. 30 minutes later she went on an errand and it quit. I'm not a hero any more. I new enough to check the relay located under the hood and the fuse and found they appeared to be fine. i.e., coil was closing the contacts and I had 12 volts on both sides of the contacts which comes from the fuse. I read a couple of threads elsewhere before joining this forum and zoned in on the risistor. While trying to get the connector off and getting very frustrated, my wife came out and turned the switch on and it worked, for three weeks. It has quit again, completely! I replaced the resistor and nothing works. I swaped relays. Nothing. I bought a Chilton's book with wiring diagrams and see that 12 volts should be on the blue wire at the fan motor all the time when the ignition switch is on. The speed switch and the resistor work on the negative ground side of the circuit. I don't have 12 volts at the blower. The wiring diagram shows a straight wire from the relay (where there is power leaving) to the blower connector (where I have no power). Does anyone know where there may be another connector in between which may be compromized?

Thanks,
carolinaquestions is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2006, 04:30 PM   #43
HeadlessHorseman
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolinaquestions
Check the fuse... It also sounds like you have a Blower Motor RELAY that's barely getting the job done and only part time at that...

It is possible to have 12 volts going to your blower motor and not enough amps to turn it because the relay no longer closes the circuit with good contact. Remember, this circuit is rated for *40 amps* and that's a lot of juice. Normal use causes relay contacts to become burned and pitted over time.

You said you checked the relay under the hood... are you sure that's where your Blower Motor Relay is located? I was under the impression that this relay was located under the dash, driver's side, behind the Junction Box/BCM - that's where my Hayne's manual says it's located for your '97.

I have no idea what relay you were checking.
Old 01-17-2006, 05:54 PM   #44
carolinaquestions
AF Newbie

Quote:
Check the fuse... It also sounds like you have a Blower Motor RELAY that's barely getting the job done and only part time at that... "

"You said you checked the relay under the hood... are you sure that's where your Blower Motor Relay is located? I was under the impression that this relay was located under the dash, driver's side, behind the Junction Box/BCM - that's where my Hayne's manual says it's located for your '97.

I have no idea what relay you were checking."

Thanks for the responce!

This is splitting hairs... production date = 7/96 - title and owners manual 1997. The PDC is under the hood with the relay at position 5, fuse at position 3.
Power for relay coil comes from junction box under dash, fuse 12 (10 amp).This is switched on by ingnition switch.
40 amp fuse no. 3 (PDC) powers (hot all the time) the contacts in relay which when the coil energizes, supplies the relativly large(40 amp current potential) dark blue wire which leaves the connector no.1 under the PDC, straight to blower connector with constant +12 volts with ignition switch on. {this per the diagram in Chilton's}

<<new info>> The dark blue 12 volt supply wire leaving the PDC travels through the firewall in a harness on the passenger side of the steering column and goes through a large multi-wire connector (possibly for all under dash componants) which is located under the dash above right knee when driving. >>> This connector location info supplied by friend's friend (dealer technician) as I was writing initial post.>>

I just checked the connector under the dash and BEHOLD! Apparently the previous owner had a problem with this wire in this connector and someone (explenatives researved) patched this dark blue wire, possibly a 10 ga, with twisted wire junctions and a 16 ga wire around the outside of the large connector. One of the twisted junctions had melted in two.
I will replace the patch wire with proper size and solder solid and insulated with shrink tubing. (I did jump it out and blower works)
We have had this vehicle for 3 years and have had great service. I probally should consider a fire extinquisher!

too blessed to be stressed and
off to slay other dragons....
carolinaquestions is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2006, 07:41 PM   #45
HeadlessHorseman
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolinaquestions
... I just checked the connector under the dash and BEHOLD! Apparently the previous owner had a problem with this wire in this connector and someone (explenatives researved) patched this dark blue wire, possibly a 10 ga, with twisted wire junctions and a 16 ga wire around the outside of the large connector. One of the twisted junctions had melted in two. I will replace the patch wire with proper size and solder solid and insulated with shrink tubing. (I did jump it out and blower works)
We have had this vehicle for 3 years and have had great service. I probally should consider a fire extinquisher!

too blessed to be stressed and
off to slay other dragons....
Congratulations on tracking down the problem. I'll have to remember the "Charlie Electrician Factor" next time. I never would have guessed that someone had intentionally screwed up the circuit. Thanks for getting back and posting the results of your efforts! Let this be a lesson to us all. I learn something new every day.

It's interesting that you say the 40amp fuse is in socket #3 in the PDC... my Haynes manual says it's in socket #7. But then, you also said that the production date of your '97 was 7/96. My '96 was made 2/96. What a difference five months makes. Thanks for sharing all of your great information and research... I'll work it into the original post (and make you famous )!

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Dodge > Caravan | Voyager