Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Dodge > Caravan | Voyager
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 06-12-2004, 11:24 AM   #1
traxbykat
AF Newbie

alternator problems?

Quick history-Starter went bad, stuck on, burned up and was replaced. No problems for a month. Then started losing electrical power. Dashlights, overhead lights flickered, radio went to static and at times I couldn't start it. Other times everything was fine. Had battery tested they replaced it under warranty. Again everything fine for a month. Then it went dead, had it jumped, it was okay but then the whole electrical problems started again. When this is happening the volt meter needle jumps when testing the alternator at the battery. I got lucky that it was looked at during one of it's spells. Mechanic thinks it's the alternator but I can't figure out why putting a new battery in it corrected the problem for a month. Does the alternator sound like the right direction to go? Hate to spend $300.00 and then have the problem again. I did have a wiring harness cover get hot that was near the starter and my air bag light is going off and on since the first electrical problems accured. Thanks for any ideas. 97 Caravan 3.3
traxbykat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2004, 02:43 PM   #2
pnthr30
AF Newbie

I know this post is a bit old, but can you give an update? I have a 97 3.3 and it is having similar problems (i.e. wierd starting issues and an airbag light going on an off). I suspect the alternator, but before I tear things apart, I was curious as to what you did and if it worked. Thanks a lot!
pnthr30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2004, 05:48 AM   #3
dno36
AF Newbie

Re: alternator problems?

If you are having erratic electric issues, take the vehicle to a "Auto Zone" or other parts supplier that has free alternator testing, first. You can watch them test the system, and see the results, and go from there.

Any erratic supply to the system can make many things go wierd.

I have replaced 5 of these alternators in 800+K total miles and while they are pretty good, they are not fault-free.

GL

DNO.
dno36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2004, 10:07 AM   #4
pnthr30
AF Newbie

Thanks for the reply. I did take it to AutoZone and Checkers and they both tested the alternator and said it was ok (as was the battery). AutoZone said that my battery was getting to much juice and was being "fried" (160 amps instead of 120).

I am pretty much a noob to all of this, so I am thoroughly confused. Any suggestions? I may have to resort to taking it in and having things (electrical system) looked at by a "professional".
Old 11-03-2004, 10:36 AM   #5
dno36
AF Newbie

Re: Re: alternator problems?

I believe.....that the "regulator" is internal with the alternator, so....hmmmm. If the battery is getting too many amps, where is the regulator??

GL

DNO
Old 11-03-2004, 10:41 AM   #6
pnthr30
AF Newbie

The regulator is in fact internal. I do remember him mentioning that (and looking it up). He basically suggesting taking it in for a full diagnostic.

Like I said, I am very new/unskilled at this (problem solving on autos), so I don't know what to do. If it is something that I can try to diagnose myself and try to fix, I am all for it........but if it is something that might just be easier to have someone else do I guess I will have to bite the bullet.

Thoughts? Thanks again for your help!
Old 11-03-2004, 10:59 AM   #7
dno36
AF Newbie

Personally, I think it is pointing at the Alternator, but to just put one in to check it is a BIG pain. These Alts are not an easy out & in. There is 1 bolt in the back on the block which I had to hold on while another guy turned the wrench. So.......

GL

DNO.
Old 11-03-2004, 11:08 AM   #8
pnthr30
AF Newbie

Maybe I will take it to a different shop (AutoZone) and see what they say. It is possible that the first guy didn't know what he was doing/talking about........and the guy at Checkers appeared to do somewhat of a "limited" test with a different machine/testing device.
Could it be the starter? It typically doesn't start well on "cold" starts, but once the engine is warmed up, or hasn't sat for a real long time, it usually turns over right away. (on "cold" starts all I get is a click).
Old 11-03-2004, 04:00 PM   #9
dno36
AF Newbie

That "cold start" problem is not typically a starter issue, sounds more like power delivery.

GL

DNO.

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Dodge > Caravan | Voyager