Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Dodge > Caravan | Voyager
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 01-23-2011, 09:42 PM   #1
Tyson_baker
AF Newbie

1999 grand caravan se 3.3L HEATER

OK so I have no heat. What I have done: changed thermostat, changed water pump, flushed radiator, still nothing. I also have done alot of cussing and swearing but that doesnt help either. Any suggestions?
Tyson_baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 09:56 PM   #2
tempfixit
AF Enthusiast

Re: 1999 grand caravan se 3.3L HEATER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyson_baker View Post
OK so I have no heat. What I have done: changed thermostat, changed water pump, flushed radiator, still nothing. I also have done alot of cussing and swearing but that doesnt help either. Any suggestions?
I assume your heat gauge reads in the normal range when to normal operating temp. Have you checked the new thermostat in boiling water to confirm it is working properly?? Made sure all the air is burbed out of the system. (heater turned on full heat during burbing of air) Checked the heater core hoses to make sure they are close to the same temp by feel.
tempfixit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 07:06 AM   #3
b1lk1
AF Regular

If the gauge is reading normal, try flushing the heatercore as well. They can clog up due to lack of maintenance.

b1lk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 02:44 PM   #4
RIP
AF -Advisor

Cussing and swearing no help? I throw tools. Course that never works for me either especially when I spend twenty minutes trying to find it again.

HVAC system working? Try a calibration/self test?

07 Fusion / 06 RAV4 / 06 Accord / 96 Gr Caravan
RIP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 03:24 PM   #5
mikefaster
AF Regular

Feel one heater hose and see if it's hot and then see if the other is cold... If that's the case, then the heater core is clogged... I have fixed this numerous times by swapping the heater hoses (they are the same size)... You will usually have heat instantly, if not better heat after running it for a day... There is usually enough hose to swap them and you can leave them swapped... If the weather was warmer, you can put a garden hose on reverse flow and that will usually free it up as well...

If both hoses are cold, then you may have a head gasket seeping, causing pressure build up of carbon monoxide in your cooling system... The gas rises and doesn't allow water to travel up that high... You can try a 7lb radiator cap then...

Sometimes, people just don't properly "bleed" the system when they change the thermostat... Meaning, you may have just needed a thermostat, but you didn't run it long enough without the cap off while viewing/filling the water level... Many people will change thermostats in very cold weather and it seems like the engine "never warms up enough"... The trick is to KEEP running the engine until the fan comes on at least once, without the cap on... If the water wants to keep coming out during this process, you may have a head gasket seeping...

Did it recently overheat or have a cooling system problem???

Mike
mikefaster is offline   Reply With Quote