Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Dodge > Caravan | Voyager
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 06-07-2008, 10:40 PM   #1
1320-camaro-383
AF Newbie

01 caravan ac not working please help!!!!

I have a o1 caravan that the ac compressor was junk so I replaced it and filled with 134.It was about a can low but was working good for about a day and then stoped working.I thought I sprung a leak so I put a gauge on it and it read about 100 psi when it should be 45 psi or less.Im clueless on what happened.The only thing I can think of is the old compressor had a lot of mettal chunkes in it,I blew out the lines with air but it didnt want to blow through.Maybe the drier is clogged causing the pressure to raise and the pressure switch shutting down the system.Anyone have any experience with this kind of problem?Thanks in advance
1320-camaro-383 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 04:29 PM   #2
webbch
AF Regular

Re: 01 caravan ac not working please help!!!!

Yep, the new compressor is junk now too. The old compressor died a black death, and shot metal shrapnel through the system. The proper repair is to remove the condensor and evaporater(s) and thoroughly flush them out with both a flush solvent AND air, then flush out the lines the same way, before ever putting a new compressor on, adding oil, pulling a vacuum, and then adding refrigerant, all in correctly measured amounts. Did you pull a vacuum before putting in the refrigerant? If not, you had a lot of air in the system, which likely accounts for your high low side pressure. You did replace the drier, didn't you? That's pretty much a given whenever you open up the system in the manner necessary for a compressor replacement.

This is NOT the "overkill" method. The is the method that will let your A/C work for at least a couple of years, hopefully longer if done well. Yes, getting to the front evaporator in a Caravan/Voyager/T&C is an absolute nightmare from what I've heard - have to remove the entire front dash to get at it.

See Auto AC Forum for more info.

Chad
webbch is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Dodge > Caravan | Voyager