Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Engineering/Technical
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Engineering/Technical Ask technical questions about cars. Do you know how a car engine works?
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 09-14-2010, 10:41 AM   #1
carguyy
AF Newbie

Headlight Lens Repair Question

My headlight lenses on my wife’s 99 Altima are real dull & cloudy. I thought about replacing them but now I see that there are some restoration kits available. Has anybody tried anything like this? Does it really work? Here’s a couple I was looking at:

http://www.autobodytoolmart.com/3m-headlight-lens-restoration-system-39008-p-16386.aspx

http://www.autobodytoolmart.com/symtech-bright-solutions-headlamp-polishing-car-care-kit-75010010-p-16214.aspx

Thanks
carguyy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 11:01 AM   #2
Airjer_
AF Enthusiast

Re: Headlight Lens Repair Question

I do headlamp restorations on a regular basis. The best process I have come up with is very simple.

*thoroughly clean each lens
*tape off areas around the lens to avoid accidents
*Sand the lenses with 500, 800, 1000, and 3000 grit sandpaper cleaning the lense before going to the next grit.
*Polish
*Apply sealer. I use the Wynns kits just for the sealer. Its $20 for a kit and there's enough sealer for 6-8 lenses.

I have the mini sander and polisher so I can knock them out pretty quick but you can still do them by hand with great results in less than a couple of hours.

Old 09-14-2010, 11:08 AM   #3
carguyy
AF Newbie

Thanks...I really appreciate it.
carguyy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 01:11 PM   #4
shorod
SHO No Mo

Agreed, no point in getting the full kit. You can save a bunch of money using bulk, common items, especially if you plan to do a few of them. The steps laid out by Airjer are sufficient. For sealer I use Collinite 845 which should last a person a really long time, even when they also use it on the paint.

-Rod
shorod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 09:15 AM   #5
jdmccright
The RustBuster

If I can add three notes:

1) I prefer to remove the assemblies if I can to avoid any problems with scuffing the surrounding trim. You also get access to the edges and other clear surfaces to completely remove all the oxidized plastic...makes it look more professional and new.

2) Buy wet/dry sandpaper and sand using water...mist the lens or rinse the lens and paper off occasionally to check your work. The paper wont load up with abraded plastic and lasts far longer.

3) I do like 3M's restoration kit which has a small mandrel for a drill bit to speed up cleaning and also gives more even sanding than your fingers. The instructions in it don't say to use water but I do. The paper works fine and doesn't disintegrate or slough off grit.

Hope this helps!
2004 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD
2003 GMC Envoy XL
2000 Honda ST1100
2000 Pontiac Sunfire

Vehicle History:
2003 Pontiac Vibe AWD - 1999 Acura Integra GS - 2004 4.7L Dakota Quad Cab 4x4 - 1996 GMC Jimmy 4wd - 1995 Chevrolet C2500 - 1992 Toyota Camry LE 2.2L - 1992 Chevrolet S10 Ext. Cab 4.3L - 1995 Honda ST1100 - 1980 Yamaha XS400 - 1980 Mercury Bobcat.
jdmccright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 07:00 PM   #6
RidingOnRailz
AF Enthusiast

Cool Re: Headlight Lens Repair Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airjer_ View Post
I do headlamp restorations on a regular basis. The best process I have come up with is very simple.

*thoroughly clean each lens
*tape off areas around the lens to avoid accidents
*Sand the lenses with 500, 800, 1000, and 3000 grit sandpaper cleaning the lense before going to the next grit.
*Polish
*Apply sealer. I use the Wynns kits just for the sealer. Its $20 for a kit and there's enough sealer for 6-8 lenses.

I have the mini sander and polisher so I can knock them out pretty quick but you can still do them by hand with great results in less than a couple of hours.

Ironic your illustration depicts the headlamp of a Contour! That car was considered one of the worst for rapid headlight glazing over and fogging. I used to own a '96 and I was performing a less elaborate but similar procedure twice a year to keep the headlights clear!
RidingOnRailz is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Engineering/Technical