Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Dodge > Caravan | Voyager
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 01-01-2008, 04:00 PM   #1
07biking
AF Newbie

93 voyager no start troubleshooting

As posted before, I have now tried a spark test . Taking a plug out attaching the wire to it, trying to start engine to see a spark, and no spark? Any idea what i should check now? Good, battery, alternator, ignition switch, no click starter, fuel pump sounds on. i'm getting a 3-5-5 13? on,off,on,off,on code (MAP sensor) any insight? Or whether this is an old code. My check engine light started coming on about 16 months ago, ran fine with a little hesitation at times. Then moved from sea level to 5500'. the engine light went off for 5 months then I started this stall to no start problem. Any help please.
07biking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 03:08 PM   #2
booby31360
AF Newbie

Re: 93 voyager no start troubleshooting

Quote:
Originally Posted by 07biking
As posted before, I have now tried a spark test . Taking a plug out attaching the wire to it, trying to start engine to see a spark, and no spark? Any idea what i should check now? Good, battery, alternator, ignition switch, no click starter, fuel pump sounds on. i'm getting a 3-5-5 13? on,off,on,off,on code (MAP sensor) any insight? Or whether this is an old code. My check engine light started coming on about 16 months ago, ran fine with a little hesitation at times. Then moved from sea level to 5500'. the engine light went off for 5 months then I started this stall to no start problem. Any help please.
I would say its time to replace the coil.opcorn:
booby31360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 06:35 AM   #3
webbch
AF Regular

Sheesh, I wrote all the following thinking you had a 3rd or 4th gen, then noticed the thread title said '93. Didn't some of the 2nd gen vans have a distributor? If so, ignore my comments below. If not, the logic below may be correct for your van as well. I have a '97, so can't be certain....

I know that activation of the automatic shutdown (ASD) relay cuts power to the coil, so you may want to check the signals from the crank position sensor and/or cam position sensor, as failure of these sensors will cause the computer to activate the ASD relay.

You didn't happen to notice a momentary spark while cranking did you? An easy way to check for proper signals from the position sensors is somewhat indirect*. Check for battery power on the B+ terminal on the coil (input power to the coil). When the ignition is turned to the ACC ON position, you should see power there for 1-3 seconds (approximately). Then start cranking. You should again see power there while cranking if the position sensors are working. If power goes away while cranking, but it was there briefly when you turned the ignition to ACC ON, it means the computer isn't seeing a valid signal from the crank and/or cam position sensors and has activated the ASD relay.

BTW, don't you have to provide a ground connection on the spark plug in order to see a spark (i.e. set the electrode end or the threads on a grounded metal conductor). I normally just leave the spark plug installed and use a timing light as a first check to see if I'm getting power in the plug wire.

*You can check gross operation of the crank/cam position sensors with a DMM as well, which should display the RMS value of the square wave from the position sensor, so not 0V, but not 5V either. I'd guess somewhere around 2.5-3.0V

Let us know what you find out.
webbch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2008, 01:27 PM   #4
07biking
AF Newbie

Thanks for the info!! Sorry for the spread post. Coil checks out ok. I replaced PCM with no changes. I'm going to geta multimeter but am not sure how to use one. I think maybe your right about the ASD relay. Under the hood I know where it starts but where does end (fuse box)?
07biking is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Dodge > Caravan | Voyager