Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Dodge > Ram Van
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 01-10-2010, 02:11 PM   #1
George G.
AF Newbie

front blower motor not working, 2001 Dodge RamVan

Hello, I'm hoping to find some help. I have a 2001 Dodge Ram Van that has front and rear air. The rear air is working fine. The front air does not blow on any speed. I've been reading where the blower resistor might be bad but all the other threads seems like the Hi speed still works in that scenario. I don't have any speeds working. Can someone point me in the right direction on where to start? I have a multimeter if I need to test something. the blower resistor connector has 4 wires. 2- green w/ white stripe, 1- blue wire and 1- brown(or maybe a faded orange) wire. Just a second ago i disconnected the resistor connector, turned the engine on and the blower worked for a split second but that was it. TIA.
Old 01-10-2010, 02:42 PM   #2
alloro
AF Enthusiast

Re: front blower motor not working, 2001 Dodge RamVan

Start by seeing if you have power on the two wires going into the blower motor. If you do, replace the blower motor. If you don't, replace the speed resistor. It is possible to have a bad resistor and not get high speed. It depends on what part of the resistor burnt out.
alloro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 03:05 PM   #3
George G.
AF Newbie

thanks alloro...I just found another issue that might be helpful. I checked the power and didn't have any power from the wires to the blower motor. I also discovered that if I apply pressure on the ignition key as if I were going to turn it off, the Hi speed works, no other speed. If i move the key towards the ON position, the fan turns back off. So is my problem two fold? Bad resistor and faild key cylinder? Is the ignition switch and key cylinder the same part? Thanks again for your help.
Old 01-10-2010, 08:16 PM   #4
alloro
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by George G. View Post
Is the ignition switch and key cylinder the same part?
No, there is a rod that runs from the key cylinder down to the ignition switch under the dash, which is attached to the top left of the column.
Old 11-20-2012, 05:23 PM   #5
floyd7000
AF Newbie

Talking Re: front blower motor not working, 2001 Dodge RamVan

As with any motor that has wires beyond the switches, one must go directly to the motor wires and just test the wires at the motor to see if they will run the motor with external voltage applied to the wires. If the motor does not run with the given required voltage then the motor is bad or the wires are broken to the motor from the plug in. Simple.
floyd7000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 09:25 AM   #6
alloro
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd7000 View Post
As with any motor that has wires beyond the switches,
Next time read the thread before you post. He has NO POWER going to the motor. Responding to the first post without reading a thread first only adds clutter and confusion.
Old 11-21-2012, 08:52 PM   #7
floyd7000
AF Newbie

Talking Re: front blower motor not working, 2001 Dodge RamVan

To Alloro, please understand what i said. I said if you take the two wires that are going to the blower motor or any motor for that matter if it has a positive and negative wire then all you have to to is introduce "external" power to the wires at the motor and if it runs the motor most likely is good and if not then you have an open circuit to or in the motor. Please understand this is what i said but not in your words--my words. You just have to avoid any confusion in your mind to see what i said. Just check the wires at the blower to see if they have contact with the motor brushes or fields. Simple?
Old 11-21-2012, 08:57 PM   #8
floyd7000
AF Newbie

May i clarify something to you sir: External voltage is voltage that one has that is not in the vehicle or voltage that is applied with a battery with wires running off the positive post and the negative post. Just find a way to connect the wires off the battery directly to the motor wires and walla! you have the answer quickly if it is the motor at fault. Does this complicate a mind that can only understand a certain line of communication? Once, i had to ask the same question to my professor about a case study using five different sentences which said the same thing but only one of them he could understand but yet at least 20 of my friends understood what i said in each sentence. Sometimes you have to state the answer in a way for others to comprehend what you are saying as they might jump to conclusions and go off.
Old 11-21-2012, 08:59 PM   #9
floyd7000
AF Newbie

The problem with threads like this is one should go directly to the problem first like i did!
Old 11-21-2012, 09:03 PM   #10
floyd7000
AF Newbie

Wink Re: front blower motor not working, 2001 Dodge RamVan

Quote:
Originally Posted by George G. View Post
Hello, I'm hoping to find some help. I have a 2001 Dodge Ram Van that has front and rear air. The rear air is working fine. The front air does not blow on any speed. I've been reading where the blower resistor might be bad but all the other threads seems like the Hi speed still works in that scenario. I don't have any speeds working. Can someone point me in the right direction on where to start? I have a multimeter if I need to test something. the blower resistor connector has 4 wires. 2- green w/ white stripe, 1- blue wire and 1- brown(or maybe a faded orange) wire. Just a second ago i disconnected the resistor connector, turned the engine on and the blower worked for a split second but that was it. TIA.
Disconnecting the resister wires also disconnects the front blower voltage. I cannot fathom how voltage got into the two blower wires with voltage already removed from the resistor block. You need to find a battery and just go directly to the blower motor wires(disconnect them from the resistor) and apply a direct wire to the motor. If it runs then your problem is in the resistor wiring or at the resistor not getting good contact if you have voltage going into the resistor. If you need more info let me know.
Old 11-22-2012, 11:55 AM   #11
alloro
AF Enthusiast

Prior to this one there are 10 posts in this thread and 5 are from you. None of your posts address the fact that he has NO POWER GOING TO THE BLOWER MOTOR. Your posts are inducing more and more clutter to what was an easily understood issue.

BTW, I've been turning wrenches for 35 years and have been an electrician for the past 28 years. So you can take your talking down demeaning attitude, such as trying to instruct me as to what an external power source is, and save it for the classroom.

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Dodge > Ram Van