Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Dodge > Ram Van
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 04-04-2009, 06:01 PM   #1
duuktsar
AF Newbie

1995 1500 V6 conversion hard to no start

Hi all
I have a 95 conversion that wont start ,no spark but if I leave the key on until the Asd starts to click then try it will catch with a rough idle for 30 sec then run fine, then it will start for 5-6 time then start over again, no code. I inhered the van after my dad passed so I cant ask him how long this has been going on, Thanks in advance
duuktsar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 12:28 AM   #2
alloro
AF Enthusiast

Re: 1995 1500 V6 conversion hard to no start

It's most likely a bad PCM (computer). It's that large silver box on the firewall right above the engine, with 3 large connectors going into it.

By leaving the key on, you're helping it to warm up enough to work and allow the engine to start. You can test this theory with a hairdryer. Before attempting to start it, warm the PCM up about 5-10 minutes with the hairdryer, then try to start it. If it starts right up you've confirmed it's a bad PCM.
alloro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 07:28 AM   #3
duuktsar
AF Newbie

Thanks Alloro Ill try that, If it is then it a easy fix ( a costly one but easy to get to ) Thanks again Duuktsar
Old 05-04-2009, 10:52 AM   #4
duuktsar
AF Newbie

Hi all
Now I got a new problem with the van< Replaced the computer started it up let it run everthing seem fine until cel came on noticed the volt gauge was around 9, shut it down checked alt it was bad , replaced alt charged battery started back up and checked alt again and found that it was only putting out 12v I know that the volt reg is build into the computer( computer is a rebuild ) Cel is still on, anyone have any Ideas (think it might be the computer.. Thanks in advance Duuktsar
Old 05-04-2009, 11:42 AM   #5
alloro
AF Enthusiast

Check all of your grounds like the battery to body and engine to body ones. There is one at the back right corner of the engine that is specifically for the alternator ground. If any of these are loose, corroded, or missing, the alternator/regulator will not work correctly.
alloro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 08:32 PM   #6
duuktsar
AF Newbie

Thanks for the reply Alloro, Already checked the grounds at the battery and the body grounds, also checked the fuse link, called the computer company they said yea it might be bad???? Got me thinking do they even test the pcm after they rebuild them? > So the computer comes out and wait for the new/old one to arrive ( Glad I dont need the van to go to work)
Old 12-07-2013, 03:17 AM   #7
patmeg55
AF Newbie

Had the EXACT same problem with 95 b2500-3.9L v6.After replacing 5 things i didn't have to,i ended up putting in a remanufactured ecm/pcm. Five minute install and it's starting all the time with no problems at all.
patmeg55 is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Dodge > Ram Van