Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Nissan > Pathfinder | Terrano | QX4 | Xterra | Patrol | Safari | X-Trail
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Pathfinder | Terrano | QX4 | Xterra | Patrol | Safari | X-Trail Nissans greatest 4WDs and SUVs
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 05-29-2001, 08:26 PM   #31
cdnav8tr
AF Newbie

ARB

I use to live in Calgary Alberta...really good wheeling out there!

It looks like this is a job I should go to a welding shop with before I install the bumper. Did you trim it while it was on the truck?

cdnav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2001, 10:06 AM   #32
Philosopher
AF Enthusiast

Re: ARB

Quote:
Originally posted by cdnav8tr
I use to live in Calgary Alberta...really good wheeling out there!

It looks like this is a job I should go to a welding shop with before I install the bumper. Did you trim it while it was on the truck?

Yep, all trimming can be done while the bumper is on the truck. It actually may be easier to see how much to trim that way.

Philosopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2001, 03:25 PM   #33
xterrabull
AF Enthusiast

PowerBarz PN

Does anyone know for sure the swayaway part number for their Xterra PowerBarz torsion bars?
The swayaway website shows part number 1448.
Just want to make sure....

Thanks.
xterrabull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2001, 04:02 PM   #34
cdnav8tr
AF Newbie

Part Number

You might want to check Xterraparts.com or 4x4parts.com they both sell them and could probably help you.:bandit:
cdnav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2001, 04:28 PM   #35
xterrabull
AF Enthusiast

just ordered 'em...

Thanks...I called xterraparts.com & was told there were 2 in stock so I went ahead and sent in my order ; the price seems a bit high but I wanted to be done with the whole thing & I've been happy with my dealings w/them in the past.
I called my local 4Wheel Parts (a distributor for swayaway) & was told they couldn't order them for me because they didn't have a P/N in their computer database...typical BS I usually get from them .
Anyways, I'm hoping to get the install done this Sunday so PLEASE everybody peruse this board & look for my frantically posted questions .
Actually, I think with Schlud's install procedure & the ensuing feedback on this board it shouldn't be too bad.
Oh yah, I also have the KYB Monomax shocks on order.

Wish me luck :smoker2:
Old 06-07-2001, 01:54 AM   #36
xterrabull
AF Enthusiast

just finished install...

Well, I just finished the install; took about 1.5 hrs.
I didn't remove the front t-bar anchor, however I loosened the three bolts for the anchor & this seemed to make it easier to slide the t-bar out.
My biggest concern: installing the new t-bars, I used a mallet on the back t-bar anchor to drive the t-bar into the front anchor. What I noticed after the fact was that the back splines were driven all the way into the back anchor whereas the front splines had about 3/8" visible out of the anchor. I figure I have almost 3/4" of spline inserted in the front anchors so *hopefully* that's enough....
Also, when I removed the old t-bars, the metal ring didn't come out. The ring stayed sandwiched between the frame cross member and the anchor; this is how I knew when to stop hammering the back of the rear anchor -- when there was no play in the metal ring (i.e. it was completely sandwiched), there was no sense in hammering anymore.
Old 06-07-2001, 07:33 AM   #37
Schludwiller
XTerra Guy

Congrats!

If you look at the picture on my install you'll see how much of the splines still stick out of the anchor.

You wouldn't have needed the mallet if you had removed the two small bolts on the front anchor. The bar will slide right in both anchors with the angle pivoting the front anchor allows. But I used the BIG hammer technique the first time too.
Schludwiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2001, 08:02 AM   #38
rhombus
AF Enthusiast

Nothing better than a few hours working on the truck and then that awesome feeling of getting something done afterwards.

Glad that the install went ok

Last edited by rhombus; 07-09-2001 at 08:56 AM.
rhombus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2001, 10:17 PM   #39
Aquamander
AF Regular

Send a message via AIM to Aquamander Send a message via Yahoo to Aquamander
Talking Aquamander's t-bar install

Well, I finally got those damn things out of the closet and onto my truck. I have been so busy saving the world one mold at a time, I haven't had a chance to get around to it.

Anyway, I thought I would make a couple of notes on the install. They may not be as good as Schlud's but I think it's good information that could be helpful as well.

Go here,
http://communities.msn.com/Aquamande...ll.msnw?Page=1

Come on guy's don't hold back. Tell me what you think.
Aquamander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2001, 10:17 PM   #40
LoganvilleX
AF Newbie

T-Bars

Kinda wimpy pics...don't you think? Hey how bout those add-a-leafs?
LoganvilleX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2001, 12:00 PM   #41
xterrabull
AF Enthusiast

Re: T-Bars

Quote:
Originally posted by LoganvilleX
Kinda wimpy pics...
Well, um, you did ask for it, right Aquamander???
Old 07-11-2001, 06:22 PM   #42
Aquamander
AF Regular

Talking Yeah, I guess so...

LOL...Well, I tried to get some good shots but my hand model was demanding better pay and beni's Hell, I gave him a beer! But it's all good. T-bars are on and FSR put my AAL's in the mail today....Damn, L'villeX I guess it's time to visit the ol' proving grounds again.

Old 07-12-2001, 12:46 PM   #43
LoganvilleX
AF Newbie

T-Bars

Actually, they were excellent pics..ESPECIALLY the hand model ones. Oh and the beer. Excellent. Payment in FULL!
Yes, its time for the proving grounds again.
LoganvilleX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2001, 06:53 PM   #44
Thor
AF Newbie

Thumbs up install thoughts

I was hung up for a long time on trying to remove the bars after removing the anchor arm bolts. I finally removed all 3 bolts in the front torque arm and used a tire iron to pry the torque arm towards the back of the truck. This looseded everything up so the bar could be removed. When I installed the new bars, I first cleaned and degreased the torque arm then regreased it along with the torsion bar. The bar slipped into the torque arm with one little tap on the floor. Thanks to Schudwiller and Aquamander without your how to's I wouldn't have attempted this. Also this thread was a life saver when I was frustrated durring the install. I am very pleased with the results!
Thor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2001, 09:47 PM   #45
Aquamander
AF Regular

Talking Don't be surprised...

Some of us have had to go back in a couple of weeks remeasure and adjust. I think the bars settle a little. Seems to be normal.

Glad you like the end results. Your comments may help another X owner in the future!