Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Nissan > Pathfinder | Terrano | QX4 | Xterra | Patrol | Safari | X-Trail
Pathfinder | Terrano | QX4 | Xterra | Patrol | Safari | X-Trail Nissans greatest 4WDs and SUVs
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 02-20-2002, 11:28 PM   #1
RticQl8
AF Regular

Question Beadlock Wheels

Im interested in buying a set of beadlock wheels for my X. I have my eye on a specific pair now but im not sure if they are what I need. I dont know my bolt pattern other than its 5 bolts and I dont know my offset or my rim width. Can anyone help me out with these details? Keep in mind im doing this for heavy offroad use so if I can make upgraes here to offset or wheel width without mods elswhere I will consider doing it
RticQl8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2002, 11:45 PM   #2
rrdstarr
AF Enthusiast

Ummm...you better take a close look at your wheels??? There are 6 bolts in a 5.5" bolt pattern diameter!!!!!!!!!!! Most people are using there stock steel or alloy wheels because most afermarket wheels rub because the Xterras offset is so different.

Last edited by rrdstarr; 02-21-2002 at 01:14 AM.
rrdstarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2002, 11:47 PM   #3
RticQl8
AF Regular

well then im glad I asked so when you say 5.5" what is that in reference to? I know the bolt pattern but how? and what about wheel width 8" 10" ? and offset?
Old 02-20-2002, 11:54 PM   #4
Schludwiller
XTerra Guy

Last I heard "real" beadlocks are illegal on public roads. Are you planning on changing wheels at the trail, or trailering your Xterra there? Xterras aren't hardcore offroad rigs anyway. I mean do whatever you want, but the conditions Xterras find themselves in really don't justify the need. Suspension upgrades will give you better results after tires.
Old 02-21-2002, 12:00 AM   #5
Schludwiller
XTerra Guy

P.S. I'm moving this to the tires and wheels forum.
Schludwiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2002, 05:08 AM   #6
xoc
AF Enthusiast

They are indeed illegal in the US due to the fact that they are not an error proof system of mounting. The DOT requires that a tire and wheel combination cannot come apart.

They are also almost impossible to balance. Most people who use them don't even bother attempting to balance the tire, since they never get above 5 mph.

Using them on the street, especially on a very "un-rock crawling" type SUV like the Xterra would be pointless and well over to the right on the poseur scale.
Old 02-21-2002, 09:22 AM   #7
Matt Peckham
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to Matt Peckham
there are many bead MOCK rims out there. these would be a better choice. Axis wheel http://www.axiswheel.com makes the Regulator,

and Weld racing makes the Stone Crusher. which is available in 15x8 and 4.25" backspacing. but they aren't cheap, but they are made with a superior process than most normal alloys. They are forged as opposed to machined, making the aluminum that much stronger. Personally, I think they are ugly.
Old 02-21-2002, 07:51 PM   #8
RticQl8
AF Regular

Quote:
Originally posted by Schludwiller
Last I heard "real" beadlocks are illegal on public roads. Are you planning on changing wheels at the trail, or trailering your Xterra there? Xterras aren't hardcore offroad rigs anyway. I mean do whatever you want, but the conditions Xterras find themselves in really don't justify the need. Suspension upgrades will give you better results after tires.
Who says "Xterras aren't hardcore" mine is well on the way. Its not a home made buggy but its nearly as capable as a good Jeep. I keep my mudders on a seperate set of rims. I only change them out when I go on Xcurssions. Normaly I ride on a nice set of crome rims and BFG 31" ats (they are CRAP for offroad). My second set of wheels are Maxis Mudders (cheaper and better offroad!) and they ride on a set of Junkyard rims. I want the beedlock because I need it. I need it because I have already popped my beed twice while rock crawling. Im not off the handle but I take my Xterra whereever it will let me. I could increase my tire pressure and possibly avoid this but I would rather run the locks.

p.s. I was unaware they where illegal. I see them occasionaly on the road but I will obviously avoid that.
Old 02-21-2002, 07:52 PM   #9
RticQl8
AF Regular

Quote:
Originally posted by Schludwiller
P.S. I'm moving this to the tires and wheels forum.
thanks for the move I didn't see this thread.

Now can anyone answere my other questions or do I need to pull my tire off and measure the rim width? Can I assume 5.5" is the diameter of the bolt pattern?
Old 02-21-2002, 08:53 PM   #10
Toy Man
AF Premium User

No answer but another question

What tire pressure were you using when you popped the beads?
Toy Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2002, 09:05 PM   #11
Schludwiller
XTerra Guy

Quote:
Originally posted by RticQl8

Who says "Xterras aren't hardcore" mine is well on the way.
Proof is in the pictures. I enjoy pushing my Xterra to new levels as well, but I'm also realistic enough to know I'm not going to make it into a rock crawling monster and keep it as a daily driver. My pleasure is in going places most SUV's never get out to, and then driving it to work on Monday.

So if your truck is so badass, how about sharing some pictures with us. We all like to see where each other has been.
Old 02-21-2002, 10:19 PM   #12
RticQl8
AF Regular

Most my photos are 35 mm. I finaly got myself a digital this Xmas. You dont need a rock crawling montser to pop a bead you just need to be in the right situation with low psi. When I popped I was running 12 psi in hot weather at higher than normal speeds in sand. I pop both my left side beads. It was driver error and I will never make that mistake again but now everytime I do a rocky side trail im paraniod I will lose a tire. I never realy considered beadlock untill I saw a nice set at the local shop. After talking with you all I will most likely pass.

Photos to come
Old 02-22-2002, 12:22 AM   #13
xoc
AF Enthusiast

Red face

Old 02-22-2002, 12:24 AM   #14
xoc
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally posted by RticQl8
I want the beedlock because I need it.
No one needs beadlocks on an Xterra. Want maybe, but not need.
Old 02-22-2002, 04:40 AM   #15
warmonger
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to warmonger Send a message via Yahoo to warmonger
The bolt pattern is 6X5.5. Factory offset is 5 1/8 but you can only get that offset in an aluminum rim and it will have to be custom made. I am running a 4.5" offset with 32" tires but had to make some metal modifications to get full articulation. I have seen beads blown with our crew three times and all were in a mudhole. Two were aired down, one wasn't. I haven't blown one yet but it is only a matter of time. If you have on-board air it shouldn't be much of an issue depending on the quality of the air system. One of the three beads I reset myself with my on-board air system. The others we just simply put on the spare on the trail. It doesn't justify my buying a truck and trailer to put beadlocks on my X yet though.

warmonger is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Nissan > Pathfinder | Terrano | QX4 | Xterra | Patrol | Safari | X-Trail