Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Nissan > Pathfinder | Terrano | QX4 | Xterra | Patrol | Safari | X-Trail
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Pathfinder | Terrano | QX4 | Xterra | Patrol | Safari | X-Trail Nissans greatest 4WDs and SUVs
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 12-23-2001, 09:53 PM   #31
ChuckH
AF Enthusiast

It's all done!!! :D

It's been a marathon weekend! I was installing my new stereo system by day and building a new computer by night. Anyhow, I ended up putting the XM tuner in my glovebox. That was the only place I could put it where the CD changer cord would reach the tuner. I haven't had too much time to play with it, but so far I'm very pleased. Infact, I think I need to go for a drive tonight!!! Check it out guys!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg img_1024.jpg (30.3 KB, 254 views)
Old 12-23-2001, 09:54 PM   #32
ChuckH
AF Enthusiast

And...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg img_1033.jpg (40.1 KB, 253 views)
Old 12-23-2001, 09:55 PM   #33
ChuckH
AF Enthusiast

And the finished product.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg img_1036.jpg (41.8 KB, 249 views)
Old 12-24-2001, 12:02 AM   #34
ScottG
AF Enthusiast

Looks good Chuck! I'm interested in satellite radio also. I recently got a dish at home and like the music channels. I assume you get the same channels?

I have a mini disc recorder at home. Does anyone know of a car stereo that plays cd's and mini disc? I haven't seen that combination.

I too have had trouble with a Sony cd player and won't buy another one. BTW Chuck, your old stock stereo is still working great. I may just upgrade the speakers, and possibly add satellite. Every now and then I get the bug to get a new stereo, but I have the same fear Schlud has that it will get stolen. I have had that experience a couple of times with past vehicles. The worst part is replacing the window and they usually tear up the dash too
ScottG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2001, 03:46 AM   #35
ChuckH
AF Enthusiast

Update!

I finally tried the CD changer yesterday and it wouldn't operate! I returned it to the store and got a replacement and the new one won't function either and gives me the same error code. I'm thinking the changer doesn't like being connected to the XM tuner input and needs to go direct to the head unit. If that's the case then I'm going to have to choose between the changer and XM and one will have to go. Pioneer really screwed up too, if I can't hook both of them up. The dealer didn't say anything about problems doing this! Will paly around with it tomorrow some more.

Scott,

I don't think any of the radio stations are the same as the ones you get on your dish at home. I don't know of an CD/Minidic combos. You could add an RF modulated XM tuner to the factory head unit and it would probably work great. Glad that stereo is still workign for you!
Old 12-25-2001, 05:36 AM   #36
ScottG
AF Enthusiast

It doesn't make sense that the changer and XM won't work together. You would think Pioneer would have put a little more thought into the system then that.

Maybe there is something wrong with the stereo controlling the changer? The sony system I had trouble with had a little reset button on the stereo that would sometimes correct Error messages.
Old 12-25-2001, 06:01 AM   #37
ScottG
AF Enthusiast

I was just taking a look at your stereo in my Crutchfield catalog. They definately advertise it like you can use the two systems together.

Maybe this is a case of operator error

I'm just giving you shit. I know you must be frustrated with this thing by now.
Old 12-25-2001, 11:43 AM   #38
Schludwiller
XTerra Guy

I think I saw Alpine makes a MD car stereo when I was looking at their stuff.
Schludwiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2001, 05:55 PM   #39
Schludwiller
XTerra Guy

XM questions

So you have to pay $9.95 a month for the service. How are the music channels? Are they like the ones on digital-cable DVX? Is the sound quality a lot better? How about dropouts? Does it drop out in the same situations that our GPS's do?

Thanks for any info.
Schludwiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2001, 11:41 PM   #40
ChuckH
AF Enthusiast

XM has it's own stations. All of them are MP3 quality or better and most are better than a lot of my CD's. They do drop out sometimes, but when that happens they cut out entirely...not like regular radio where it gets all scratchy and crap. So far it hasn't bothered me too much. I have my roofrack crossbar kind of close to the antenna right now too, so that may be interfering a little bit. Regardless, the reception is nothing short of amazing and I'm very pleased. There are advertisements...atleast on the stations I've been listening to, but they are very few and far between compared to regular radio. I think $9.95/month is a pretty good deal really. You get lots of music channels and there's something for everyone. They even have ESPN, CNN, and other news channels and they come in crystal clear. One of these days here within the next week or so I can stop by your house if you want and you can check it out.

Now if I could just get the friggen changer to work! Good thing the XM is keeoing me entertained foir now or I'd really be pissed!
Old 12-27-2001, 07:38 PM   #41
Mobycat
AF Regular

Send a message via AIM to Mobycat
My own review of XM after two 10 hour drives.

OK, just got back from Indiana. Drove from DC to Indianapolis, Indianapolis to Cincinnati, and then Cincinnati back to DC.

XM - thumbs up!

Drive out there - had four dropouts (No Signal display). Two were when I was right next to a mountain. One was while I was driving under a bridge VERY slowly. It dropped for only a couple seconds. Fourth time - tunnel in West Virginia.

I listened to XM the whole way - no FM, no CD. I switched between channels 8 (80's), 26 (VH-1), 29 (U-Pop), 34 (Ethel), 44 (Fred), 46 (Top Tracks), 150 (ComedyXL) and BBC (forget the channel number right now).

Except for VH-1, they were ALL CD quality. VH-1 sounds like it is a simulcast of the video channel. Not positive if it's actually simulcast, but it IS the same material.

Commercials - not bad. There really are very few. Channels 8, 26, 34, 44 and BBC definitely had them. Never heard them on 29, 46 or ComedyXL. In the mornings, channel 8's DJ talks WAY too much. If I'm going to pay, I don't want to hear his blather (there is a morning DJ channel - listen to the morning zoo ALL DAY LONG!).

An inkling of what's played...on Fred (classic alternative), I heard Sisters of Mercy, Shriekback, Buzzcocks, Damned, Cure, David Bowie, Nitzer Ebb, Replacements, Howard Jones, etc. It goes ALL over the map - I loved it - this is the stuff I was listening to 10 years ago. It bills itself as music that has been "bannished from FM." Indeed.

Another interesting thing that I hadn't even thought about - since it is subscription based, they do NO need to abide by FCC regulations in regards to language. So yes, ComedyXL let's EVERYTHING by. There is NO censoring on that channel. I heard Rodney Dangerfield, Jeff Foxworthy, Steve Martin, Bill Cosby, Margaret Cho, etc.

The drive back made for some interesting bits. It was snowing nearly the entire trip. The snow itself NEVER affected the signal. However, a couple times I was driving next to a semi, and it cut out. Placement of the antenna seems to be more important than I thought - I have it on the passenger side.

As ChuckH has said - it simply drops out - no static...or does it? When I was almost home, I got a dropout in the exact same spot the other way (next to a mountain - Point of Rocks for you MD/VA people). But I was driving slower, so the dropout lasted longer, and I did indeed get static. Very little, but it was there.

Some quirks they need to work on - someone REALLY needs to set levels at the channels. One channel may be really quiet, while switching to another may blast you out. Also, levels within a channel need work. I was listening to Fred (44) and the promos were hideously loud compared to the music. It almost sounds like they have some sort of compressor/limiter/gate/whateveryouwanttocallit - it starts REALLY loud, and then drops to the appropriate level quickly.

So there's my review...in a nutshell.

http://www.xterra-trail.net
Mobycat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2001, 10:13 PM   #42
ScottG
AF Enthusiast

Re: My own review of XM after two 10 hour drives.

Quote:
Originally posted by Mobycat

An inkling of what's played...on Fred (classic alternative), I heard Sisters of Mercy, Shriekback, Buzzcocks, Damned, Cure, David Bowie, Nitzer Ebb, Replacements, Howard Jones, etc. It goes ALL over the map - I loved it - this is the stuff I was listening to 10 years ago. It bills itself as music that has been "bannished from FM." Indeed.
Okay, now I really want XM! This kind of stuff is all I used to listen to.
Old 12-28-2001, 12:17 AM   #43
rrdstarr
AF Enthusiast

I must be old?

The only name I knew was David Bowie...............
rrdstarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2001, 01:21 AM   #44
ChuckH
AF Enthusiast

Got a working CD changer today! Third time's a charm, I guess. I had an install tech at the stereo store put the changer on the test table and it wouldn't work for him either. What are the chances of getting two changers in a row with the same error code? Oh well, the store always takes care of me and I have one that works now. Hopefully it will stay working, but if not they'll just give me a brand new one in a sealed box. The three I've brought home so far have all been repacks. Problem is now I need to go on a really long drive so I can actually use the XM AND the changer!

In related news, I heard a kick ass song on XM today! I forgot to look to see who it was, but some guy was yelling "die mother f'er, die mother f'er, die!" Never ehard it before, but it had a kick ass bass line and was a perfect road rage song.
Old 04-18-2002, 02:04 PM   #45
HamsterStyle
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to HamsterStyle
Nakamichi stuff for sale

I eas wondering how low you would go on the headunit and possibly the changer also. Where are you from? Email me at HamsterStyleRacing@hotmail.com

thank you
tommy