Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Nissan > Pathfinder | Terrano | QX4 | Xterra | Patrol | Safari | X-Trail
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Pathfinder | Terrano | QX4 | Xterra | Patrol | Safari | X-Trail Nissans greatest 4WDs and SUVs
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 08-22-2003, 09:57 PM   #16
Schludwiller
XTerra Guy

The passenger side is most often cracked. However I have to go back to Nissan as it sounds like the driver side is gone too. You might have your mechanic check (or at least listen) to the driver side after he fixes your broken one.

Welcome to the club. Some people have broken them twice in 12,000 miles.
Old 03-02-2004, 05:06 PM   #17
boodie
AF Regular

Re: 2000 Nissan Xterra Exhaust Manifold Crack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schludwiller
So now I'm hearing that the 2003 has an improved exhaust manifold that fits the older Xterras. Anyone else got that info?
Schlud -

Did you find out any more about this newer manifold???
boodie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2004, 06:16 PM   #18
Schludwiller
XTerra Guy

The newer manifold is now specified for all service departments to install. At least that's what my service manager said their manual read.
Old 03-04-2004, 06:23 PM   #19
boodie
AF Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schludwiller
The newer manifold is now specified for all service departments to install. At least that's what my service manager said their manual read.
Schlud -

That's the 14004-4S103, for the S/C models, that's across-the-board now for all 3.3 X's??? www.nissanparts.cc still has it listed at $68...

...Or does the 2003 have a different number???...
Old 02-12-2005, 07:45 AM   #20
amirchel
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by OffroadX
Part #14004-4S103 (upgraded right manifold) is listed in the parts system for 10/00 production NON-supercharged Xterras and all SC models from 7/01 (first 2002 build) on. 14004-4S102 (old manifold) is not specified after 10/00 for the Xterra.
The Frontier models made the switch across the board (SC and non-SC) in 10/00 as well.
Schlud, Nissan has been using the beefier right-side manifold on ALL Xterras for a year or so at least, but apparently they still use the old non-SC one for the left side on the non-SC models. If they've made any further revisions, I'm not aware of it.

Brent
That's perfect info--I'm about to have my exhaust manifold reflaced...I assume it's the right side. Seems a common problem, especially since the part has been upgraded. My 2000 with 110,000 miles...any advice about pursuing claim with Nissan about this replacement? Mine was fine until Nissan did clutch work. I soon started to detect fumes in the cabin. Dealer said I had broken studs and man needed to be replaced. Doesn't the engine get jacked up to replace cllutch plate? ?Could that have stressed the manifold?
amirchel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2005, 09:23 AM   #21
boodie
AF Regular

Re: Re: 2000 Nissan Xterra Exhaust Manifold Crack

Quote:
Originally Posted by amirchel
...Doesn't the engine get jacked up to replace cllutch plate? ?Could that have stressed the manifold?
Sure could. The transfer case/transmission have to come out; exhaust has to be taken off. Not much holding the engine level, unless the mech has blocked or otherwise supported the engine so it doesn't tilt.

I'm happy to say I haven't had to do this job on any vehicle in many years...

But for what it's worth, my mechanic friends tell me the broken Xterra manifold studs/bolts are more common than the cracked manifold...
Old 03-04-2005, 02:20 PM   #22
sox01
AF Newbie

I was told by the dealer that the "rear exhaust manifold" was cracked. Which one is this? The left or the right? Also, based on the answer and the fact that my Xterra was manufactured in 5/00, which part number part would I need? Thanks!
sox01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2005, 09:19 PM   #23
chubbybubba1
AF Regular

9 times out of 10, it's the right side. Are you past 60,000 miles? Just finally got around to having mine replaced on an 01' with 47,000 miles. This repair falls under the Powertrain warranty(60,000).
chubbybubba1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2005, 07:24 AM   #24
XTerra D
AF Newbie

Folks,

Nice discussion going on around here.

Quick question from me:

can i replace the manifold(consider both) myself? Some one can guide me to the step by step procedure?

My 2000 XE V 6, 3.3 L just came out from a mechanic shop and now it started making noise from manifold. I don't blame him since this problem occurs very often looks like.

Thanks in advance.

Xterra D
XTerra D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2005, 10:49 AM   #25
Schludwiller
XTerra Guy

From everything I've heard it's a PITA to fix yourself due to the probability of broken studs/bolts that you have to remove from the engine. If you screw that up, your f*cked. My Nissan mechanics spent more than 6 hours replacing mine, and they have the tools and knowledge to do it right.

If you're really intent on it, buy the Nissan service manual and go for it. Unfortunately mine only has partial descriptions as part of the engine removal.

Also make sure you're getting the heaver designed versions of the manifold.
Old 03-05-2005, 12:14 PM   #26
chubbybubba1
AF Regular

Also, you'll have easier access through the front right wheel well.
chubbybubba1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2005, 05:17 PM   #27
XTerra D
AF Newbie

Actually I just had done the timing belt done so hopefully the studs are not that bad. I have repair manual but, it does not say much about repairing exaust manifold. Any page, web site you folks know of which can be helpful?

Thanks.
XTerra D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2005, 08:36 AM   #28
sox01
AF Newbie

Re: Re: 2000 Nissan Xterra Exhaust Manifold Crack

Quote:
Originally Posted by chubbybubba1
9 times out of 10, it's the right side. Are you past 60,000 miles? Just finally got around to having mine replaced on an 01' with 47,000 miles. This repair falls under the Powertrain warranty(60,000).
I have a 2000 SE with about 98,000. Unfortunately not a warranty repair for me. I have heard a rattle from the right side for a long time, just never realized it was probably the manifold. It failed inspection because of it this year. How much does it usually cost to have the manifold replaced (parts/labor)?
sox01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2005, 11:55 AM   #29
OffroadX
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to OffroadX

Depends on how many studs need replacing. The part itself is cheap enough, it's the labor. Figure a few hundred minimum.
OffroadX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2005, 04:38 PM   #30
boodie
AF Regular

I notice that Nissanpartscc.com is no longer a valid address/site...Does anyone have an on-line parts dealer with reasonable [like Nissanpartscc.com was] prices???

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Nissan > Pathfinder | Terrano | QX4 | Xterra | Patrol | Safari | X-Trail