Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Automotive Art > Car Modeling
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Car Modeling Share your passion for car modeling here! Includes sub-forum for "in progress" and "completed" vehicles.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 08-27-2012, 10:30 AM   #1
Greg Davis
AF Newbie

Exclamation /24 GT40 MkII - Jackie Ickx #60 Decals???

I'm finally getting back into the hobby after a 10 year hiatus, and finally narrowed down what I want to build from my collection.

I have the Fujimi kit and have ordered the HRM conversion, and am now looking for decals.

After doing a Google search, I found the livery I would like to build, the 1966 Jackie Ickx car #60 from LeMans, but I can't find a source for the decals. Anyone have any idea as to who may produce them for this particular car?

Thanks in advance.
Greg Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 02:45 PM   #2
jaykay640
AF Enthusiast

Re: /24 GT40 MkII - Jackie Ickx #60 Decals???

That's an obscure one :-)
...but you can almost get what you want:

http://www.slotracing-werk.de/scaler...482627916.html

It's the right decoration it seems but from other races. You might use that and ad correct race numbers.
jaykay640 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jaykay640 For This Useful Post:
Greg Davis (08-27-2012)
Old 08-27-2012, 04:32 PM   #3
griffin-gt40
AF Regular

check ebay, Fred Caddy makes alot of decals especially for older race cars. I have some for the 68/69 Gulf cars done by him. Good quality. Hope you find what you're looking for.
griffin-gt40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 09:29 PM   #4
Greg Davis
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaykay640 View Post
That's an obscure one :-)
...but you can almost get what you want:

http://www.slotracing-werk.de/scaler...482627916.html

It's the right decoration it seems but from other races. You might use that and ad correct race numbers.
Thanks! That's a great find - however, I can't figure out how to order? When I translate, all is good, but then I click to order and it goes back to German.

Any advice?
Old 09-01-2012, 02:12 AM   #5
Karl GBG
AF Newbie

Greg, I noticed your thread title says Mk II, are you aware the #60 car is a Mk I?
Karl GBG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 12:40 PM   #6
Greg Davis
AF Newbie

I am very uneducated when it comes to these kits, but I recently noticed that there is a difference in the cooling vent on the front hood. What other differences are there between the one and the two? And how difficult is it to make my kit into the proper Mark one?
Old 09-02-2012, 04:45 AM   #7
Karl GBG
AF Newbie

I would really recommend using one of Fujimi's Mk.I's for this. Modifying a Mk.II is really overkill, especially the reardeck.
I have a feeling Fujimi's Mk.I's are not in production at the moment, except for the Gulf car, which is wider at the rear then the earlier cars...

I took a couple of quick pictures for you, so you can see the some of the differences between Mk.I and Mk.II. (there are actually quite a few, but this would be the biggest)

The Following User Says Thank You to Karl GBG For This Useful Post:
Greg Davis (09-02-2012)
Old 09-02-2012, 11:43 AM   #8
Greg Davis
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karl GBG View Post
I would really recommend using one of Fujimi's Mk.I's for this. Modifying a Mk.II is really overkill, especially the reardeck.
I have a feeling Fujimi's Mk.I's are not in production at the moment, except for the Gulf car, which is wider at the rear then the earlier cars...

I took a couple of quick pictures for you, so you can see the some of the differences between Mk.I and Mk.II. (there are actually quite a few, but this would be the biggest)

Thanks for those pictures - that really clears up a lot of questions! I was fortunate enough to locate a MK I kit online last night and ordered it from the UK - it was their last one(!).

The sad part is I've spent a lot of time separating the rear deck and cleaning all the parts from my kit, thinking only the front hood panel was different.

Oh well, I guess I'll eventually use it to build a later MK II version.

Thanks again for everyone's help on this, especially to JayKay for helping me out with the decals.
Old 09-02-2012, 03:20 PM   #9
lovegt40
ItaloSvensk

also note, as Karl pointed out, the cars are quite different also for mk1 Gulf being wide body over rear and front wheel arches.
The difference was cause the different engine. Mk2 used 427 and T44 trans,while mk1 had 289/302.

Fujimi makes decent bodies, even imho the nicest mk2 I've seen around is the slot car done by Carrera digital,copying also the correct mk2b front part.

I love this car (my nick says all..)

website www.alsoldatino.com
my YT channel : https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCIp..._as=subscriber
FB: https://www.facebook.com/alsoldatino
lovegt40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 06:28 PM   #10
Greg Davis
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovegt40 View Post
also note, as Karl pointed out, the cars are quite different also for mk1 Gulf being wide body over rear and front wheel arches.
The difference was cause the different engine. Mk2 used 427 and T44 trans,while mk1 had 289/302.

Fujimi makes decent bodies, even imho the nicest mk2 I've seen around is the slot car done by Carrera digital,copying also the correct mk2b front part.

I love this car (my nick says all..)
But not all MK II's were wide body, as previous pictures show, correct? The Fujimi Gulf was MkII but not wide body. I get so confused by the variations with the same livery!
Old 09-02-2012, 08:09 PM   #11
ScaleCentral
AF Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Davis View Post
But not all MK II's were wide body, as previous pictures show, correct? The Fujimi Gulf was MkII but not wide body. I get so confused by the variations with the same livery!
Also, the MkI existed as a very narrow body which was made by Island Collectibles and the later wide body as made by Fujimi and the even wider body made by LeMans Miniatures, Thunder Valley, and a few others.
Nic
Old 09-03-2012, 07:38 AM   #12
lovegt40
ItaloSvensk

mk1s were done "slim" and in 1969 wide body for JW (gulf cars, the legendary one with jackie Ickx starting slowly after all..).
Also exis mk.1 as spider,used in targa florio, and Mirage cars (narrow roof.Only one build)

The mk2 exist only in one version (high tail), just they changed slightly the front end for the mk2b.

Of course I mean ONLY originals.The too nice modern replicas feature all versions, including mk2 cabrio.

Mk.3 is the street version (6 build originals all left hd) with 289
MK.4 is totally different in bodyshape, still 427
Mk.5 is used for Safir/first replica series-aka continuations (as SPF cars starting serial no.s with #2...)

website www.alsoldatino.com
my YT channel : https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCIp..._as=subscriber
FB: https://www.facebook.com/alsoldatino
lovegt40 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to lovegt40 For This Useful Post:
Greg Davis (09-03-2012)
Old 09-03-2012, 12:31 PM   #13
Karl GBG
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Davis View Post
Greg, I do believe your getting confused by light blue cars :-)

The Fujimi Gulf car is a Mk.I, not Mk.II. Your probably mistaking it with the light blue Mk.II (#1) that came second at Le Mans 1966, that Fujimi kitted. Mk.II's never wore Gulf livery. They were basically banned after 1967 (being 7 litre engines), so from 1968 only Mk.I's (5 litre) were raced, and thats when John Wyer took over with Gulf sponsorship.

The Gulf cars were wide both in 1968 (except for the first race a Daytona?) & 1969.
Old 09-03-2012, 01:48 PM   #14
Karl GBG
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovegt40 View Post
mk1s were done "slim" and in 1969 wide body for JW (gulf cars, the legendary one with jackie Ickx starting slowly after all..).
Also exis mk.1 as spider,used in targa florio, and Mirage cars (narrow roof.Only one build)

The mk2 exist only in one version (high tail), just they changed slightly the front end for the mk2b.

)
Paolo, the Mk.IIb was actually widened at the rear quite a bit too. And of course there was a huge cutout in the rear where the mandatory spare wheel sticks out behind the engine. And the interior was Mk.IV style, I believe?

My good friend Lars-Olof (username "lmracer" on this forum, I think) is a true GT40 nut, here are some photos of his gorgeous Mk.IIb conversion, to illustrate what I'm talking about.

/edit/ Oh, and this one's light blue too, but nothing to do with Gulf! :-)

/Karl
Old 09-03-2012, 01:55 PM   #15
Greg Davis
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karl GBG View Post
Greg, I do believe your getting confused by light blue cars :-)

The Fujimi Gulf car is a Mk.I, not Mk.II. Your probably mistaking it with the light blue Mk.II (#1) that came second at Le Mans 1966, that Fujimi kitted. Mk.II's never wore Gulf livery. They were basically banned after 1967 (being 7 litre engines), so from 1968 only Mk.I's (5 litre) were raced, and thats when John Wyer took over with Gulf sponsorship.

The Gulf cars were wide both in 1968 (except for the first race a Daytona?) & 1969.
My head hurts - I'm going to have a stiff drink!

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Automotive Art > Car Modeling