Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Other Cars
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 09-29-2004, 08:52 AM   #136
SHO411
AF Enthusiast

Re: Fastest Production Car

Yeah I agree, but don't forget the F1 costs 1.5mil, for that price it better be top notch, I mean, for that price I could have stuff off a Fomula one car installed into my 240SX (or buy an Rx7 III), still have tons of cash to bribe gov officials and probably hit 240 mph.
The Enzo though expensive costs less than 1/2 of an F1 and yet gives you performance that rivals it. for the additional .7mil, I could have the enzo upgraded to kill the F1.

Ain't this the pretiest motor or what?

Fines are the fee you pay for the privilege of driving as fast as you want
SHO411 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2004, 01:13 PM   #137
Cockrocket
AF Enthusiast

you speak the truth. But i think doing an engine upgrade on the likes of a ferrari is like sitting on the queen. Vaguely possible but would not be good idea in the long term
Cockrocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2004, 01:29 PM   #138
kuluvu
AF Newbie

If your going to dis one car and praise another at least get your facts straight, the Koenigsegg does not use twin turbos, it uses a twin-screw compressor, basically a supercharger or (blower), superchargers do not create the type of lag that turbos do, (you don't have to wait for the exhaust gases to get moving) it's force fed straight into the heads, and besides when was the last time you saw an N/A supercar top 115bhp/liter? it's not exactly possible to get 806bhp out of 4.7 liters without some form of forced induction.
kuluvu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2004, 11:31 PM   #139
NathanP
AF Newbie

McLaren F1 is the fastest Production Car as of now.

I have a Z06 427 Twin Turbo that does 230+, but that dosent count
NathanP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2004, 07:39 PM   #140
SHO411
AF Enthusiast

I'm guessing this is the forum for the Rch folks, or the older generation, cuz I'm usually in the 240SX forum, and we are all still saving and putting in double shifts trying to save for those cute chrome intakes, and this guy here is talking about doing 230+mph, Damn, we are still strugling to break into the low 15s in our Rice Mobiles.
I had a 95 T-ram, that I was forced to sell, the only mod in its 2yrs was an oil change and a $10 cone filter.

Can someone here sponsor me or something, 230+mph, my lifes dream is to break 200mph in my 240. As soon as I save up and get a T-56, and some extra cash for the miscellenious stuff, I will have the last piece of the puzzle to finish my Taurus SHO swap into my 240. I want to put a TT on it, they got a kit to get it to 280hp, and ready for some serious boost. so look out mr Lingenfelter, I'M COMING FOR YOUUUUUUuuuuuuU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!

Well as soon as I get the cash, I already got the hraness installed and the LSD, damn, doing stuff by yourself is alot cheaper than paying someone to do it for you.

Ain't this the pretiest motor or what?

Fines are the fee you pay for the privilege of driving as fast as you want
SHO411 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2004, 03:06 PM   #141
993cc
AF Regular

These guys took a road trip to the Dauer headquarters in Nurnberg, Germany and met with J. Dauer himself... interesting site with pictures and info on the Dauer 962.

http://www.bmwm5.com/articles/german...trip2001-3.htm

In short: Of the original 50 planned just 11 were completed (3 of those currently rot in the SoB parking lots as all of you who follow Sultan matters know...). The 404.6 kph/251.46 mph top speed was apparently reached in the VAG Group oval track near Wolfsburg, Germany so it's not just a wild claim or estimate (there's a video to download too but I haven't - connection too slow). If they used street tyres for the run (and I guess they did since they claim the car to be TUV compliant) this record stands as far as I'm concerned (and as it was a car you could buy and not a prototype I guess it qualifies as production)
993cc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2005, 01:46 AM   #142
carschooled
AF Newbie

Way back in this thread there was chat of the callaway sledge... i noted a comment that the fastest production car ever had to be one available to anyone.

I have two responses to that
1. Is it not enough that the company offered it, even if it was a flop and only sold a couple.
2. Consider the ENZO - can anyone buy that car, i think not, all were sold before prouction, to people they ferrari believed were worthy, and or "good customers"

But anyway, the callaway still stands as the fastest production car.

This is a little off the point, but there is a car which is street legal, did some rallying though. It's a ford probe 3200gt (or something to that extent, i know it sounds like a mazza). it did a similar run 0-100kph in 2.8secs.

And also the Veyron will never reach full production with its current claimed potential. Bugatti's budget won't be extend to pay for the refinement thats required to prevent its high speed twitchiness. And the saturation of the supercar market will prevent serious sales.

The Chrysler ME four-twelve has to be the most exciting concept car ot there, but will never make production also due to the saturation issues
carschooled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2005, 04:05 PM   #143
993cc
AF Regular

Exclamation beware: long post

Yes the Sledgehammer is a very impressive car. Callaway knew what he was doing and the fact that the 880 hp engine was tractable with a steady idle and could be driven easily like your normal 911 (within reason) says a lot about the serious engineering expertise that went into that machine - especially compared to many of todays 4-figure horsepower modifieds. It's no coincidence that Callaway was assigned to work on the V8 Aston Martin engine produced in the early 90s for the Virage model. BUT was it a production car? As I mentioned in another thread the car made the record run on slick tyres as safety on the normal treaded tyres was an issue (http://www.z06-corvette.com/super/sledgehammer.htm). Callaway certainly would be obliged to pay large development costs to a tyre company to make a special street tyre with an unheard-of speed rating... (unless they made one for free publicity, in any case it didn't happen). Tyres ARE important. Even today VW tells us that in order to reach the 250mph+ speed the Veyron has to be fitted with track tyres (among other problems).

And yes I agree that ''generally available to the public'' (who made that rule anyway?) doesn't really need to be an issue. An Enzo was less available than the single Sledgehammer for sure. Shortly after the highspeed test it was available for sale to anybody who had the cash and certainly there was no customer-filtering like with the Ferrari!
Finally don't forget that fastest car means fastest top speed and not fastest acceleration...

Last edited by 993cc; 01-06-2005 at 05:00 PM.
Old 01-06-2005, 10:07 AM   #144
TAkid1982
AF Newbie

Send a message via AIM to TAkid1982 Send a message via MSN to TAkid1982

If you all are still talking about the fastest production car, go to http://www.ultimasports.co.uk/record.html , it is the Ultima GTR, and it is only 1/10 the cost of a McLaren. My dad owns one of these Ultimas, not quite as quick, but close.. check it out

My 1982 Trans Am..

12.43 @110

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LVHc7AzNQHM
TAkid1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2005, 03:38 PM   #145
993cc
AF Regular

Impressive, but it tops out at 200 mph... It is generally agreed that ''fastest production car'' points to top speed rather than acceleration and decelaration times. I envy you for having one though no question
Old 01-06-2005, 06:32 PM   #146
carschooled
AF Newbie

I didn't realise the Ultima boasts such spectacular performance stats.

There seems to be a good market for these ultra fast go-karts that come in under the silly prices of the likes of the SLR and porsche gt.

But back to fastest production car, i mention the callaway not only because of its 0-100 time but also its top speed of something to the extent of 405. Because they placed a set of race tyres on for safety and performance does not detract from the fact it is a production vehicle. Does a sprinter who runs 9.78 for the 100 wearing a pair of running spikes not get the title of fastest man in the world, should the fastest man be one who runs in no shoes???

And should they be forced to check the high speed on a main road not a race track??

It is not illegal to drive on a road with what amounts to race bread tyres. However, comfort,cost and safety generally means most cars don't.
Old 01-07-2005, 08:13 AM   #147
PJF220
AF Regular

Send a message via Yahoo to PJF220

What speed have we got up to now? The Bugatti Veyron tops out at 252mph/406kph
Old 01-07-2005, 08:51 PM   #148
993cc
AF Regular

I'm sorry but in most parts of the world (USA as well) it is ILLEGAL to drive on public roads on slicks. We have to stick with ''production'' otherwise we'd be talking about full racing dragsters which are way faster than all of these cars! (I guess you could fire up a top fuel on a street light and ''be the fastest'' but you'd be arrested for that! The Sledgehammer was recorded at exactly 410 kph (254.76 mph) on shaved (slick) tyres. It was unsafe/unstable at those speeds with grooved road tyres. Hence we don't know how fast it would have gone with road tyres. The point is it might have run slower than the McLaren F1 which was clocked at 391 kph (243 mph) on normal road tyres . At those speeds every part of the car is stressed to the total extreme. We just don't know which would be faster all things being equal and production. That doesn't mean I don't admire Reeves Callaway's work! Ofcourse the exact same goes for the McLaren... and I hope you realise I don't compare the two cars on the whole so I hope no one flames me for that! Another car that might be a contender is the Dauer 962 (see earlier post) of which it's unclear under what conditions it reached the 251.46 mph (details on this feat are hard to come by on the net unlike the Sledge and F1 heroics). One car that is definitely not a contender is the Veyron which is still untested under any kind of conditions slicks or no slicks or whatever!

And the same goes for a zillion other prototypes that are never going to be tested like the ME4-12 or the 300mph Tomahawk bike (yeah right. )
Old 01-09-2005, 05:47 PM   #149
carschooled
AF Newbie

Smile Re: Fastest Production Car

The unfortunate thing about this argument is that the callaway is a production car, it has the highest recorded speed, therefore it is the fastest. not really too much to argue about. And i am lead to believe the tyres were grooved slicks, (do not say that is inherently juxstposed - because that's obvious. Look at formula 1 tyres for the definition, they are termed grooved slicks) which are by definition street legal despite their race heritage.

http://www.yokohamatire.com/TireIntro.asp?TireID=2

http://www.yokohamatire.com/TireIntro.asp?TireID=60

for example!

also i forgot, but in a link u put in earlier u directed everyone to this site,well the parent of this site, if u read the article, especially this page they have a yarn about the tyre choice.
http://www.z06-corvette.com/super/co...ehammer-14.jpg
Old 01-10-2005, 08:05 AM   #150
993cc
AF Regular

OK, now combine the scanned article with this on the same page.....''Goodyear was instrumental in supplying tires for the occasion: ZR40 Gatorbacks from the standard
production molds, but constructed more like a racing tire. Treads were then shaved to preventheat buildup and chunking , while mounting was on standard Callaway Dymag magnesium rims.''

This is how I see it: basically they were custom made slicks (not off-the-rack racing slicks). Racing/road hybrids but with no tread i.e. not legal... and this is what matters.

PS. Also note in the scan that while on the track the car used 107 octane fuel which is a fuel unavailable outside racing. Of course you could always carry your own special fuel with you!