Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Jeep > Grand Cherokee | Grand Cherokee SRT8
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 07-07-2010, 03:52 AM   #31
anthony510
AF Newbie

Re: PLEASE HELP!! Jeep stalling?

ive read alot of the messages and they sound so familiar. I have a 95 grn cher. I will driving and it will die and will start sometimes, most times it will not. I was told it could be the camshaft position sensor. can i get some imput, by the way can you tell me where the camshaft sensor is located
anthony510 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 11:20 AM   #32
juno
AF Newbie

Unhappy Re: PLEASE HELP!! Jeep stalling?

I am having the same problem as the original poster. I replaced the Cam shaft sensor, fuel filter, alternator, and did fuel injection cleaning. The Jeep Grand Cherokee 95 runs a bit better but the problem is still their.

Still stalls intermittently every 2-3 days.
juno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 11:30 AM   #33
juno
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by anthony510 View Post
ive read alot of the messages and they sound so familiar. I have a 95 grn cher. I will driving and it will die and will start sometimes, most times it will not. I was told it could be the camshaft position sensor. can i get some imput, by the way can you tell me where the camshaft sensor is located
a pic of the sensor:
https://w05.dealerconnect.chrysler.c...S/80add427.gif

the sensor is located under your jeep, on the top side of the transmition, angled towards the driver-side. it's hard to see it, even from underneath.

this is how the sensor looks like:

http://i.pgcdn.com/pi/7/37/55/73755871_125.jpg

This is another pic, looking from the back towards the front

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y59...s/DSC00059.jpg

hope this helps. . . .
Old 07-28-2010, 01:06 PM   #34
ray101
AF Newbie

Car accelerates slowly , after reaching hwy speed i cannot accelerate either. I have installed rebuilt engine , crankshaft sensor, pcm, dist, cap and rotor, plugs and wires New exhaust system, rebuilt transmission and new torque converter. The car starts hard. Fuel press is between 30 and 40 lbs. This is a 1994 jeep grand cherokee limited.
Engine is 4.0. I also put new o-ring seals in the injectors. Engine runs smooth at idle. Gets a little rough when engine speed is increased. No codes displayed other than normal. Any suggestion.
ray101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 03:59 AM   #35
skralogy
AF Newbie

A lot of these issues seem similar to mine. But there are some differences. The stalling is very random and there is no way to tell when it is going to happen. The first time it happened I drove about 20 miles then it stalled. It started back up immediately then shut down and wouldn't start again. I waited around for a friend for about a half hour then was able to restart it. Theeen it shut down again. My friend arrived jiggled some wires and some how it started and was able drive it 20 miles back home with no incident , it ran great. Another time I drove 5 miles it stalled on the highway, then started right back up and drove fine. Last night I drove 10 miles to work thenalmost made it back home but had to get groceries, when I tried to start it it started fine the quicky stalled, it ried again and it stalled even quicker and so on until it wouldn't start.
When it is running it runs great no sputtering, back fires or anything.
When it shuts down it seems that the tach drops immediatly to 0 before the engine is completly stalled
When it happens it ussually will start then die. And the run time diminishes until it won't start anymore but can randomly start like normal then runs fine
Any ideas?
skralogy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 09:31 PM   #36
vegasridercc
AF Newbie

Red face Re: PLEASE HELP!! Jeep stalling?

Well after having my jeep stall so much and the tow truck companies loving me. I found a Jeep Tech that was so puzzled as to why I was blowing the coil so much that he dug into the archives of Jeep and found that there was a part made for this problem that they do not make anymore. It was a ballast/resistor that ran from the PCM to the coil to reduce the spike that came from other components. Now since he called me and said do we do this, I most definatly said yes!

He has went to Radio Shack to try and fabricate this part that jeep has no schematic for or at least its hidden somewhere in cyber space, and will install this item this week. Once done I will test drive this as it seems to blow a coil when I am on a long constant trip where the rpms are stable and a good load is on the coil. and if it works I will report back and this could be the fix everyone is looking for.
vegasridercc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 09:50 PM   #37
vegasridercc
AF Newbie

I also should have added that this is the 3rd coil, otherwise I had already replaced the the crank sensor, wires, distributor and cap, plugs, and had it diagnosed with the shop (1st one) telling me that only the coil was blown and the electrical was good.
93 Jeep Cherokee Loredo 211,000
Old 09-11-2010, 07:50 AM   #38
juno
AF Newbie

This is very exiting news vegasrider. I hope your mechanic is able to make the fix work. Hopefully he will be willing to share the info with others. I am located all the way in the south otherwise I would have stopped by his shop.

I have tried just about everything I could think of or read online. Couple months ago I just gave up on the whole idea. I have spent over $800 on a clunker, so at this point I just keep the Jeep just for short drives. It is sad because their is so much life left in the car, I could probably get another two years out of it if not for the stalling issue.

Please vegasrider keep us all posted. . . .

Thank you,

-Jay

Quote:
Originally Posted by vegasridercc View Post
Well after having my jeep stall so much and the tow truck companies loving me. I found a Jeep Tech that was so puzzled as to why I was blowing the coil so much that he dug into the archives of Jeep and found that there was a part made for this problem that they do not make anymore. It was a ballast/resistor that ran from the PCM to the coil to reduce the spike that came from other components. Now since he called me and said do we do this, I most definatly said yes!

He has went to Radio Shack to try and fabricate this part that jeep has no schematic for or at least its hidden somewhere in cyber space, and will install this item this week. Once done I will test drive this as it seems to blow a coil when I am on a long constant trip where the rpms are stable and a good load is on the coil. and if it works I will report back and this could be the fix everyone is looking for.
Old 09-22-2010, 10:49 PM   #39
vegasridercc
AF Newbie

I have driven this jeep after the resistor was placed and had no problems. it is a nine volt so we are just guessing. I mentioned before that the mount was from the computer to the coil but actually it is mounted on the harnes from the battery side to the coil.

http://i112.photobucket.com/albums/n...tortocoil3.jpg

http://i112.photobucket.com/albums/n...tortocoil2.jpg

http://i112.photobucket.com/albums/n...tortocoil4.jpg

http://i112.photobucket.com/albums/n...stortocoil.jpg
Old 10-04-2010, 07:49 PM   #40
fawalley
AF Newbie

Send a message via AIM to fawalley

Had a 96 Same thing. Was the crank shaft sensor.
fawalley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 11:58 AM   #41
sassygrl1169
AF Newbie

I have been looking over all of these threads and trying to search for advice on my own 97' Jeep Grand Cherokee limited v-8. Every random once in a while when I go out to start it, it will not start and I notice that the battery is dead. When I get a jump or what not, it will start but I need to keep the gas accelerated in order for it to idle. When I let off on the gas the engine dies. As this happened yesterday, after many times of restarting, it sounded as if the battery was dead again but it finally got going with a major sound in lack of power... This has happened 3 or 4 times in the last 3 years of owning my Jeep. I would love any advice possible please! Thank you!!
sassygrl1169 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 08:10 PM   #42
fawalley
AF Newbie

Send a message via AIM to fawalley

Quote:
Originally Posted by sassygrl1169 View Post
I have been looking over all of these threads and trying to search for advice on my own 97' Jeep Grand Cherokee limited v-8. Every random once in a while when I go out to start it, it will not start and I notice that the battery is dead. When I get a jump or what not, it will start but I need to keep the gas accelerated in order for it to idle. When I let off on the gas the engine dies. As this happened yesterday, after many times of restarting, it sounded as if the battery was dead again but it finally got going with a major sound in lack of power... This has happened 3 or 4 times in the last 3 years of owning my Jeep. I would love any advice possible please! Thank you!!
Hi Sassy. As far as the engine dying after you get jumped, the IAC ( Idle Air Control ) has to relearn where the idle is. The computer sets the idle to around 650 rpm. When I have the same problem as you I hold the rpm's at 1000 for a little bit letting the battery get a charge. Then, I'll very slowly reduce the rpm's trying not to let it fall below 500 till the IAC takes over. It may take a minute. As far as why the battery dies the possibilities could be endless. I will say, most auto part stores will test your battery for free. If it's nearing 4 or 5 years old I'd get it replaced and have the charging system checked out. Good Luck
fawalley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 10:32 AM   #43
Ronaldobhoy7
AF Newbie

I have an issue if anyone can help? I have a 2002 Grand Cherokee which starts from cold without a problem and runs smoothly. However, if I turn the engine off and wait 10-20 mins then turn it back on, the engine runs roughly and after a couple of minutes it stalls. Once this happens, I switch the engine back on and it runs smoothly again without a problem.
Ronaldobhoy7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 01:39 PM   #44
cinemafx
AF Newbie

I have a 95 4.0 Laredo. It has very similar symptoms.The problem started while climbing a logging road. Fueled Jeep first. Slowing to go through washout ditches it stalled a couple of times. We had to climb over a snow covered section. Took 5 good runs at the hill and the Jeep was trying to buck and stall but would keep going. I thought it was a fuel filter problem. On the way down the hill stalling problem continued
through the ditches. Highway return was without any problems. Next day problem was back and it there all the time.

Symptoms- Traveling at say 30 mph and apply the brakes hard the motor will stall at say 10 mph before coming to a complete stop. The motor cuts out rather than stumbling to a halt.
- Slowing to say 3-5 mph and making a right angle turn and motor will stall basically at the apex of the turn.
- Engine Vacuum 15lbs at idle and cruising speed. Seems low to me.

I have since replaced fuel filter, TPS (needed one for a while) and checked and cleaned all sensor connections and applied dialectic grease to them all. Put in injector cleaner but I have only driven it say 30 miles since putting it in.
Any input would be appreciated.
cinemafx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 11:09 PM   #45
lancerooney
AF Newbie

I had the exact same poor idle quality and stalling during warm up and random stalling at stops with my 93 Grand Cher. I have meticulously maitained the vehicle for many years so already have gone through the ECM/PCM screw prep,IAC,CPS,etc... I found that the evap. canister located behind the driver's side headlight assembly had come apart. There are 3 vacuum lines (2 large and 1 small diameter) attached to this. The top (small port) had seperated from the main body (2 larger ports) exposing the rubber diphram,retainer cap,and allowed a major vacuum leak. A'la high idle, surging engine rpm, and stalling under load at idle in gear. The computer compensates very well after going into closed loop. The engine would stumble and act as if it were going to stall at stops after warm up, but catch itself and overcome. I live in a small beach community so we do not have heavy traffic this time of year or it would probably have had a stall fest. I used 3M weather strip adhesive to reattach and secure the top and diaphram to the main body. let it set up overnight and reinstalled the grill bracing and headlights as one long assembly this morning and no issues at all.....thus far.
lancerooney is offline   Reply With Quote