Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Other Cars
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 02-03-2006, 11:53 PM   #1
blkmonday
AF Regular

where did all the nyc checker cabs go?

ive been looking for a retired new york city checker cab for a few years to restore...actually to build a hot rod. where did they all go. there were 1000s of them a few years ago...now there all gone? i find it hard to beleive theyve all been destroyed...they served the city loyaly for years...now its time to pay them respect. anyone know where i can find one? it has to be a legit retired nyc cab. rolling chassis.
blkmonday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2006, 02:55 PM   #2
twospirits
Ex-Janitor of AF

Re: where did all the nyc checker cabs go?

Good luck finding one at a cheap price, the last one was retired in the late 90s I think around 98-99 and if I am not mistaken was sold at an auction for some crazy price.

Edit: Yep I was right, last checkered cab retired in 1999 and sold at Sothebys for US$134,500.00. I miss them, they really had a lot of room and with their jumpseats. The taxis now a days have no character. There is one still drving around in the city, but i do not believe its part of the Taxi fleet, but rather selfed own.

Anyway, you might want to check with the Checker Car Clubs and see if the members there know of any for sale. (I see there is one for 5K on their site) also check out the Featured Cab, pretty cool seeing an older checkered cab with high tech screens and that engine, wow. Anyway,
Good luck.

Anyway for those that don't know what a checkered cab is, is its the quinessential New York City icon.

Brief history of the Checkered Cab.

Complete History of the Checker

TS out

Members please read: Guidelines
twospirits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2006, 10:22 PM   #3
blkmonday
AF Regular

it sucks...because you know that last cab went to some rich bastard who never even been in a cab (he or she has limos). i know somewhere theres some of these cabs sitting in a yard somewhere collecting rust. i bet theres a nyc cab co with a junker sitting in its lot somewhere looking to get it out of there to make room. i live in ct not far from nyc. and would be honored to give a loyal checker some "street level" justice...keep it true to original form with a dual exhaust and some nice wheels...and yes! drive it through nyc and the nyc suburbs where it could be appreciated by the people who loved it.
blkmonday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2006, 10:28 PM   #4
twospirits
Ex-Janitor of AF

Did you try those sites I posted, maybe they have something.

TS out

Members please read: Guidelines
twospirits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2009, 01:59 AM   #5
joan checker cab
AF Newbie

i have a 1977 black and yellow checker cab that runs ive had it and driven it for over 1o years, i love it but it has to go. still looking to buy one?
joan checker cab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2009, 02:59 AM   #6
'97ventureowner
AF Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by joan checker cab View Post
i have a 1977 black and yellow checker cab that runs ive had it and driven it for over 1o years, i love it but it has to go. still looking to buy one?
If you are interested in pursuing this you might want to send the original poster a private message. They are on the site sporadically, and may miss seeing this thread, especially since they posted it more than 3 1/2 years ago.

If a prostitute here in America loses her job to a prostitute in India , is that considered "outwhoring"??-Jay Leno

" A Good Thing To Know"
'97ventureowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 12:07 PM   #7
Wendy Tatter
AF Newbie

I have a 1976 Checker Marathon that I must sell, much as it pains me......it has a great stereo, a rebuilt transmission, A BRAND NEW AIR CONDITIONER, and NO RUST. it has never used as a commercial cab...always a privately owned vechicle .....I am asking $7,000
I m in Saint Augustine , Florida
Wendy Tatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 07:57 PM   #8
woodywood
AF Newbie

Hey,
I have a 1969 Checker Marthon rolling chassis for sale looks just like a NY Cabie! If you want to Hot Rod a Checker here's a 69 Checker 818-824-0778. "People don't find 69's", "checkers"
Call if your interested.
woodywood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 05:08 PM   #9
carlmcelroy41
Banned

How much are you selling the cabie?
carlmcelroy41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 11:51 AM   #10
frostypalm
AF Newbie

Checker cab for short film

Hi folks,

I'm hoping I can get your support and help with a rather unique request. I'm packaging a short film to be shot in MONTANA and we are seeking a checkered cab as it plays a rather crucial role in the film.

The film is called BITTER COFFEE and focuses on the last three people on earth (A Veteran Taxi Driver, A Mortician, and A Drifter) as they try to survive the effects of a post-human apocalyptic phenomenon. We are planning on shooting in MONTANA in JULY 2011. The film has a very universal theme of regret and discusses various perspectives on the meaning of life and the significance of death.

We are currently raising funds for the film and it is an INDIE LOW BUDGET film that is intended for festivals like South By Southwest, Venice, London, Toronto. If possible we would like to raffle the car off after filming if purchased. If loaned we will invite you to the set and include you in the credits! We seek your collaboration and help in the making of this film and if you have any questions feel free to contact me at contact@frostypalmstudios.com Thank you.

Producer, Bitter Coffee
Frosty Palm Studios
frostypalmstudios.com
frostypalm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 11:52 AM   #11
frostypalm
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wendy Tatter View Post
I have a 1976 Checker Marathon that I must sell, much as it pains me......it has a great stereo, a rebuilt transmission, A BRAND NEW AIR CONDITIONER, and NO RUST. it has never used as a commercial cab...always a privately owned vechicle .....I am asking $7,000
I m in Saint Augustine , Florida
Hi folks,

I'm hoping I can get your support and help with a rather unique request. I'm packaging a short film to be shot in MONTANA and we are seeking a checkered cab as it plays a rather crucial role in the film.

The film is called BITTER COFFEE and focuses on the last three people on earth (A Veteran Taxi Driver, A Mortician, and A Drifter) as they try to survive the effects of a post-human apocalyptic phenomenon. We are planning on shooting in MONTANA in JULY 2011. The film has a very universal theme of regret and discusses various perspectives on the meaning of life and the significance of death.

We are currently raising funds for the film and it is an INDIE LOW BUDGET film that is intended for festivals like South By Southwest, Venice, London, Toronto. If possible we would like to raffle the car off after filming if purchased. If loaned we will invite you to the set and include you in the credits! We seek your collaboration and help in the making of this film and if you have any questions feel free to contact me at contact@frostypalmstudios.com Thank you.

Producer, Bitter Coffee
Frosty Palm Studios
frostypalmstudios.com
frostypalm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 10:53 AM   #12
RachelYellowCab
AF Newbie

I am looking to purchase an NYC checker cab - if anyone is interested in selling please let me know!!
RachelYellowCab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 04:57 AM   #13
352shenley
AF Newbie

Well two of them went to me. One a 1964 marathon long wheel base, in need of body work,petrol pump,and gas tank fitting (now repaired).Needs fellow nutcase to bring back to life. The other a regular 1974 checker needs hood repainting and boot hindge welding. Both need new decals and titivating. Not used for a few years due to ill health. Call me on +447779977356.
352shenley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 09:38 AM   #14
352shenley
AF Newbie

Forgot to say im in Birmingham England
352shenley is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Other Cars