Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Isuzu > Amigo
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 10-06-2011, 10:55 PM   #1
gr33n
AF Newbie

Amigo EGR valve Woes :(

Hello this is my first post here, I am a car newb manically but trying to learn to save money...

Okay to start off
Year of vehicle: 1999
Make: Isuzu
Model: Amigo
engine size: 3.2L V6 DOHC 24V FI Engine
mileage: 140,000

Main issue: the Check Engine light is on
Code shown: Don't know the exact code number but relates to EGR valve

When i found out the code for issue when the check engine light first came on I looked up the code online and came up with a simple answer.
Clean the EGR valve here is the site that came up
http://www.icess.ucsb.edu/~greg/rodeo/egr.htm
Since i do not have a lot of time with college and work I brought it to Sears to ask if they could take a look and clean it.
They told me i needed a new EGR valve and that cleaning it would not fix the issue. So i paid the 270+ for the new valve and labor. I took it down the road and the check engine light came back on.
I drove back and they said i had to take the whole manifold off and clean it to get the light to turn off and they would not do the job.
Sadden by this I took it to Meineke.

Meineke people said it was not the manifold because they checked the carbon build up and it was fine. They said the issue is the connecter to the wiring harness going to the ERG valve.
They said they didn't have the part but they could install if once i found it.
After a week of searching i got the part from a junk yard and brought it to them.
They installed and I drove off happy as a clam till 3 miles down the road the check engine turn back on....
I called back and they said they will have to check it again next week...

Here are the issues i been having since the check engine lights been on
bad gas mileage (it has been horrible $20 every 3 days of average 30mile a day driving. was never like this before)
shaky driving (once Sears put in the EGR valve the car drove really smooth until the light turned back on)
Smell of gas/exhaust (starting the car or just driving it around I will get wiffs of really bad exhaust smells but it's every now and then)
tachometer going from 0 to 1 while idling (i don't know if its always done this or if this is because of the issue just something i noticed)

The Check engine light has gone off randomly for days to weeks at a time but hasn't yet since the new harness was installed.
It seems to go off when its raining out and go back on when going over 60mph but could just be coincidence

Also first time EGR valve was replaced after a week it cracked on the bottom right side next to the bolt
Sears replaced it saying it was either a dud part or someone bolted it in to hard...

(Just adding this in now the engine was just replaced on this car with a rebuilt one)

Thanks for reading this all any advice will help going back to Meineke Tuesday.
gr33n is offline   Reply With Quote