Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Isuzu > Amigo
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 02-26-2011, 09:02 AM   #1
Mikes99
AF Newbie

Strange Start then stop problem.

I purchased this Amigo 4 months ago and it has been running well with few problems. The first problem is that when I'm cruising down the expressway, when I take my foot off the gas pedal after a few seconds it feels like the brakes are being applied and the RPMs drop about 5k. Don't feel any misses or hesitations and the OBDII shows no codes. A few days ago I went to a store and when I came out to leave, the truck started then cut off. It started right up them cut off again. The next time i started it i gave it a little gas to keep it running then put it in gear and drove off. it continued to run but idled around 500. When i got home I let it sit for an hour and went back out and it did the same thing. Didn't have time to work on it that day so after work the next day I started it up and it ran fine. I checked the plugs, hoses, lines PCV and pulled and cleaned the IAC which was filthy. Started it back up and now the RPMs run just a little higher than normal, about 900 warm and 1300 cold until warm-up. But it runs good. Any suggestions?
Check here to hear it: http://rides.webshots.com/video/3018...ZU?vhost=rides
Mikes99 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mikes99 For This Useful Post:
Atozer (05-05-2011)
Old 02-26-2011, 10:16 AM   #2
Scrapper
AF Premium User

Re: Strange Start then stop problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikes99 View Post
I purchased this Amigo 4 months ago and it has been running well with few problems. The first problem is that when I'm cruising down the expressway, when I take my foot off the gas pedal after a few seconds it feels like the brakes are being applied and the RPMs drop about 5k. Don't feel any misses or hesitations and the OBDII shows no codes. A few days ago I went to a store and when I came out to leave, the truck started then cut off. It started right up them cut off again. The next time i started it i gave it a little gas to keep it running then put it in gear and drove off. it continued to run but idled around 500. When i got home I let it sit for an hour and went back out and it did the same thing. Didn't have time to work on it that day so after work the next day I started it up and it ran fine. I checked the plugs, hoses, lines PCV and pulled and cleaned the IAC which was filthy. Started it back up and now the RPMs run just a little higher than normal, about 900 warm and 1300 cold until warm-up. But it runs good. Any suggestions?
Check here to hear it: http://rides.webshots.com/video/3018...ZU?vhost=rides
have you tried to clean maf sensor screen? some you can take apart some you cant you have to buy new.
Scrapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 07:55 PM   #3
Mikes99
AF Newbie

Cleaned it today but it wasn't very dirty. Haven't had a chance to give it a real test drive yet but the idle seems to be the same

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapper View Post
have you tried to clean maf sensor screen? some you can take apart some you cant you have to buy new.
Mikes99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 09:33 PM   #4
OldLugNut
AF Newbie

Still no codes? Most drivability problems like this are caused by something in the engine management system that's monitored by the OBDII. Did you clean the IAC port that goes into the intake manifold as well as the IAC plunger? Have you pulled & cleaned the EGR? Besides the EGR itself, sometimes the EGR port that goes to the intake manifold gets clogged with carbon. Even small pieces of carbon can cause the EGR plunger from seating and create wierd idle problems. But usually it will throw an OBDII code when that happens. Are you using a code reader or just going by the check engine light? If you're just going by the light, make sure the bulb isn't burned out. That happened to me -- strange running problems but no check engine light. Turned out the bulb was out & I pulled codes with a scanner. Also check all your wiring connectors going to sensors. Sometimes they lose good connection & just pulling them apart and reseating them can restore good signal. Good luck & let us know when you find & fix the problem.
OldLugNut is offline   Reply With Quote