Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Ford > Ranger | Courier
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 02-19-2011, 12:03 PM   #1
jlviper146
AF Newbie

Question What "factory scheduled maintenance" services to do at 184k miles?

Hi.

This is probably a very stupid question but I've heard varying answers and even some horror stories about certain services so I wanted to get opinions. I am wondering how important some of the "Factory Scheduled Maintenance" services are. Like all the extra services Jiffy Lube tries to get you to get when you get your oil changed. I don't know much about cars, but I have been changing my own oil for a few years when I have the shelter available to do so. But when I used to go to Jiffy Lube back in the day I always declined the extra services that I always seemed to be "due" for, including the transmission flush. To me it does make sense to get a transmission flush as it would clean out your tranny but I've heard some stories that it can do more harm than good?? (By the way this isn't biased to Jiffy Lube, I will go anywhere to get these extra services done if I need to.) The only extra service I remember getting done at a place like Jiffy Lube is replacing the serpentine belt because it had visible cracks in it. What about other types of "flushes"? And brakes? I haven't had those replaced in a while but they are working fine...is there a common time you are supposed to get them replaced? Other than changing my own oil, topping off fluids, rotating tires and changing lights, that's about all I know/do myself.

This truck has been VERY reliable for me...it has almost 184,000 miles now and I've owned it since about the 80,000 mark with the only major problems being having to replace the starter and getting a leaf spring fixed, to my recollection. I really don't have the money to get a new vehicle right now and if I did I would probably still want to just drive this til it dies, get everything I can out of it. So if anyone could recommend what I services I should be getting done, how often and where at this 183,450 mile mark to keep me going, that would be great!

Thanks!
jlviper146 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 10:10 PM   #2
toddler62
AF Regular

Re: What "factory scheduled maintenance" services to do at 184k miles?

I would have the rear in gear oil changed, That dirty gear oil is whats keeping your rear wheel bearings lubed, Radiator antifreeze needs flushed, It will eventually get old and you'll end up with a heater core that won't heat and a radiator that wont keep your engine cool, Transmission fluid get metal shavings in it as it gets older eventually wearing other parts out. I think your a pretty lucky guy that you have'nt had some major failures to your truck so far. The cost of not doing maintenance can get pretty expensive quick
toddler62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 05:15 AM   #3
rum runner
AF Regular

Re: What "factory scheduled maintenance" services to do at 184k miles?

Do everything Toddler just said.........

On brakes, especially drum brakes, do a visual inspection. Springs can get weak and cause shoes to drag, reducing fuel mileage. Wheel cylinders can leak. Front disc brakes are not too hard to do. Get a manual and read it over. Wheel bearing need repacking or replacing at 184k. None of this is real hard if you get a little advice and don't mind getting your hands dirty.

Flush the tranny at home. Drop the pan (I installed a drain plug from Napa).....clean out the metal gunk around the magnet in the pan, replace the old filter (more fluid will fall when you do this) replace the pan gasket. This is messy and takes awhile but will build up your mechanical experience.

Replace the 3 quarts of tranny fluid you lost. (make sure to use the right tranny fluid)

Then get a fairly large pan and mark the 3-quart level on the pan. I use a clear plastic storage box or a veggie tray out of an old refrigerator.

Disconnect the return fluid line to the transmission at the radiator. (it's usually the lower transmission line). Add a small hose to the end of this line if need be and lay it in the pan.
It's easier to have two people doing it.

Start the engine until the tranny pumps out 3 quarts into the pan. Shut the engine off. Add 3 quarts of fresh fluid to the transmission. Repeat this until you see cleaner fluid being pumped out. You should be good for 40k miles. I have done this method several times with good results.

I recommend using the best fluids you can afford, there IS a difference.
rum runner is offline   Reply With Quote