Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Isuzu > Rodeo | Passport | MU
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 01-31-2006, 09:08 PM   #1
Klownicle
AF Regular

99 Honda Passport: Check Engine Light?

I have a 99 honda passport, runs like a dream. Let me say it also IDLES perfectly.

I usally get about 300 miles to the tank, but now my miliage has dropped significantly. The check engine poped on and off for awhile and now its on steady. The computer reads the error of "Insufficent EGR Flow". My miliage has dropped down to about 240-250.

Anyone got any ideas? I've already put a brand new EGR Valve in it.

Thats the only code the computer reads.

I know my manchanic cleaned out the valve part itself I dont' know if he did anything other then that.

When he put the new valve on the car ran without the check engine light for a day then came back, and if im not mistaken my gas miliage was back to normal, but since the check engine light has come back on the miliage has dropped back down again.

Hes one of those back yard machanic's but hes a great friend of the family, im just trying to do some research to help him out
Klownicle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2006, 09:36 PM   #2
Ramblin Fever
AF Enthusiast

Re: 99 Honda Passport: Check Engine Light?

Although a different year; different EGR set-up, I have the SAME exact symptoms going on.

My EGR code - same as yours - came up initially 3 mnths ago. Cleaned the EGR and was good for 2 mnths; came on again a month ago, recleaned it, and CEL went off for almost a full month.

The other day it came on again, figured I wasn't gonna bother to go get the code read a 3rd time, figured I'd just let my mechanic deal with it when I take it in in February for a full tune-up.

2 days later, all of a sudden the CEL goes off, it's been 3 days and has not come back on.

All the while, truck is running just as good as always - has 150k miles; but gas mileage is steadily dropping. Went from norm of 18-19mpg city, to 16-17, now I'm struggling to hold barely 15.

The 16mpg held on for a good 3 mnths, but the last 2 tanks, same gas station, same daily driving, has yielded barely 15.

I'm pretty darn certain my O2 sensors have finally hit the bucket - they are original, I have never changed them and have gotten almost double the mileage then what they were meant for, so I can't complain.

Also, truck is starting to have this peciliar smell to it after being driven for a while, like something is burning.

My 22RE Toyota p-up does the same thing, CEL will go on and off, and has been for quite some time; haven't replaced it's O2 yet cause they are $$$$ for that truck for some reason.

2004 3.4L Tacoma TRD off-road 4x4 Double cab
32" Yoko's, Westin Bull-bar, KC Fogs 60K miles
Ramblin Fever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2006, 09:49 PM   #3
Klownicle
AF Regular

If I wanted to have 12 miles per gallon, id buy a hummer LOL...
Klownicle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2006, 10:21 PM   #4
surferfletch
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramblin Fever
I'm pretty darn certain my O2 sensors have finally hit the bucket - they are original, I have never changed them and have gotten almost double the mileage then what they were meant for, so I can't complain.
Mine are original, too. I'm still getting 17+MPG. How much to replace them? How many are there?
surferfletch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2006, 11:14 PM   #5
Ramblin Fever
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by surferfletch
Mine are original, too. I'm still getting 17+MPG. How much to replace them? How many are there?

I WISH I was still getting 17mpg; seems I'm having to stop every 3rd day for gas now, used to be able to go every Thursday.

It's actually getting a bit ridiculous; not enough to get rid of it - you'd have to pry the keys out of my dead hands - but enough to find out what's going on.

If you have the auto, you have 4 sensors; if you have the 5-speed you only have 3, I believe??

I can't remember for the life of me, if you have the auto or not??

Try going to OxygenSensors.com, FANTASTIC bunch of guys, and the sensors aren't too badly priced. Think it was $250-$275 for all 4, when I priced them 3 mnths back. They have OEM ready to install O2's.

2004 3.4L Tacoma TRD off-road 4x4 Double cab
32" Yoko's, Westin Bull-bar, KC Fogs 60K miles
Ramblin Fever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2006, 05:51 AM   #6
rodeo02
AF Enthusiast

klownicle- your EGR plumbing is plugged downstream of the EGR valve. Super common on the 1998+. Hopefully you saved the old EGR valve because it's still good!! Read Amigo-2K's FAQ's on EGR cleaning.

G/luck
Joel

Last edited by rodeo02; 02-01-2006 at 06:22 AM.
rodeo02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2006, 08:44 AM   #7
Canucklehead
AF Regular

Send a message via MSN to Canucklehead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramblin Fever
If you have the auto, you have 4 sensors; if you have the 5-speed you only have 3, I believe??
Regardless of the transmission there are four O2 sensors on an OBD2 Rodeo w/3.2L V6.

The 5 spd has one in each leg of the Y-pipe (B1S1 & B2S1) before they come together, then one before (B1S2) and one after (B1S3) the catalytic converter.
Old 02-01-2006, 08:51 AM   #8
directory
AF Enthusiast

that's always a bummer to know you could have done the job yourself..cheaper , and without buying new parts.

the o2 sensors are easy to do. read amigo-2k's FAQ's (found at the bottom of my post--in my sig)

SKYWARN

we be clubbin'

--B
directory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2006, 07:03 PM   #9
96IsuzuRodeo
AF Newbie

I posted this earlier when someone else inquired about the "EGR flow insufficient" problem. Hope it helps.

I had the same exact trouble code/problem with my 1996 Rodeo (118K miles). The EGR opening at the intake plentum was almost completely closed with carbon buildup.

To fix this problem, you have to unbolt the EGR valve and small aluminum adapter from the intake plentum, and scrape all of the carbon buildup from the EGR opening in the intake plentum and adapter.

When you are ready to do this, have someone turn on a canister vac and hold it near the EGR opening of the intake plentum while you scrape the carbon buildup. This way none of the carbon will fall into the intake. Finally, re-attach the EGR valve and adapter with new gaskets, and you are done.

Oh, don't forget to erase the trouble codes by disconnecting the battery for a few minutes. Good luck.
96IsuzuRodeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2006, 08:36 PM   #10
marcre
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to marcre Send a message via MSN to marcre Send a message via Yahoo to marcre Send a message via Skype™ to marcre

Quote:
Originally Posted by directory

the o2 sensors are easy to do. read amigo-2k's FAQ's (found at the bottom of my post--in my sig)

I was under my Rodeo a few weeks ago looking at the o2 sensors and the ones after tha cat look almost impossible to get at. Unplugging them looks even harder.

Marc

1999 Rodeo LS 3.2 4x4 SOLD, but not forgotten
My Rodeo
marcre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2006, 09:21 PM   #11
surferfletch
AF Enthusiast

I would have guessed 4, but based on a pre-cat and post-cat for each bank setup. With only one pipe leaving the cat, though, that doesn't make any sense. Thanks for the info!

And it's the 4L30E in my rig.
surferfletch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2006, 10:10 PM   #12
directory
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcre
I was under my Rodeo a few weeks ago looking at the o2 sensors and the ones after tha cat look almost impossible to get at. Unplugging them looks even harder.

Marc
you may have to drop the exhaust down a little. it is do-able i your driveway though.

SKYWARN

we be clubbin'

--B
directory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2006, 06:24 PM   #13
marcre
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to marcre Send a message via MSN to marcre Send a message via Yahoo to marcre Send a message via Skype™ to marcre

Quote:
Originally Posted by directory
you may have to drop the exhaust down a little. it is do-able i your driveway though.

how do you drop the exhaust a little? Take it off the hanger?

1999 Rodeo LS 3.2 4x4 SOLD, but not forgotten
My Rodeo
marcre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2015, 11:45 AM   #14
amadison511
AF Newbie

I replaced the fuel pump modal. Fit great, works great, the check engine light is off and we can now see how full/empty the tank is!!

http://www.amazon.com/Spectra-Premiu...otiveforums-20
amadison511 is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Isuzu > Rodeo | Passport | MU