Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Engineering/Technical
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Engineering/Technical Ask technical questions about cars. Do you know how a car engine works?
Closed Thread Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 07-19-2004, 01:02 AM   #16
GScivic7
AF Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to GScivic7 Send a message via MSN to GScivic7
Re: Re: racing with a automatic?

Quote:
Originally Posted by emerge
Why the hell is this in Exterior anyways?
^^^^

Empty Pockets Racing Member #1
Old 07-20-2004, 05:20 PM   #17
eckoman_pdx
Honda God

Send a message via AIM to eckoman_pdx Send a message via Yahoo to eckoman_pdx

Quote:
Originally Posted by emerge
Why the hell is this in Exterior anyways?

You know...I thought the same thing...and after 19 days...we're still waiting for an answer, lol.
Old 07-21-2004, 02:30 AM   #18
H22AccordEx
AF Newbie

Re: racing with a automatic?

you lose more hp with an auto tho...i read that an auto loses roughly 30% of its power through drivetrain and a standard loses around 12%. If you have an 2 of the same exact cars and one is auto and the other is standard the standard will win every time unless they miss a gear....
Old 07-22-2004, 02:14 PM   #19
eckoman_pdx
Honda God

Also, the forgoten fact is you don't loose boost pressure in between gear shifts with an automatic like you do with a manual. With a stick, you of course loose you boost pressure in between shifts when you let up on the accelerator to shift.

With an automatic you never have to let up, and you don't loose boost pressure like you would with a sitck. This makes for less turbo lag.
Old 07-22-2004, 06:01 PM   #20
H22AccordEx
AF Newbie

thats why if your racing you dont let off the gas..keep it to the floor and powershift
Old 07-22-2004, 07:19 PM   #21
eckoman_pdx
Honda God

Quote:
Originally Posted by H22AccordEx
thats why if your racing you dont let off the gas..keep it to the floor and powershift
True, but if you don't shift that way (not all can) or if you have to drive the car on the street, then you really can't power shift. Of course, this thread isn't about driving on the street. Still, the point was, you don't have to worry with an auto. I am not saying auto trannys are better, I was just saying you don't loose boost presure in between shifts, no matter who the shift is done. With a stick, if for some reason you can't power shift, well...you'll loose boost.

Nothing huge, just a point no one mentioned.
Old 07-22-2004, 09:26 PM   #22
SilverY2KCivic
Cali Guy

Send a message via ICQ to SilverY2KCivic Send a message via AIM to SilverY2KCivic Send a message via Yahoo to SilverY2KCivic

Quote:
If you have an 2 of the same exact cars and one is auto and the other is standard the standard will win every time unless they miss a gear....
Not true entirely. The Mercedes SLK, it has been proven that for some reason, the automatic model is quicker down the quarter than the 5-speed model. Mercedes really knows how to tweak their auto trannys. Don't believe me? AMG wouldn't stick an auto in EVERY SINGLE one of it's hopped up models if it wasn't as good as standard tranny would be. They have perfected getting their trannys to shift as quick if not quicker than one could shift a manual. It's all about knowing how to tune them correctly.
All rights reserved... All BITERS served!

"The last time you had THIS much fun driving a car, it cost a quarter, and gyrated in front of the supermarket."

i have yet to see any well done imports around here. most are road toilets driven by some high school punk -Drift

hessemer69 on AIM
Old 07-23-2004, 12:07 AM   #23
H22AccordEx
AF Newbie

i never said that autos shift slower than standards...autos are def. better at the track thats why a lot of drag cars are autos because they're more consistant. I was just saying that 9 times out of 10 two of the same cars if one is auto and the other is standard then the standard is going to win. maybe with the acception of the mercedes...
Old 07-23-2004, 01:15 AM   #24
eckoman_pdx
Honda God

Quote:
i never said that autos shift slower than standards...autos are def. better at the track thats why a lot of drag cars are autos because they're more consistant. I was just saying that 9 times out of 10 two of the same cars if one is auto and the other is standard then the standard is going to win. maybe with the acception of the mercedes...

That's because most auto tranny's shift at points not the optimum points for speed and power. If you put in a shift kit and build the tranny, an auto can rule. A human can't outshift a computer, it's just the computers arn't always programed stock to shift for power and speed. The Mercedes SLK is, but most stock cars arn't.

Have level ten build your auto and put in a shift kit, and you'll see not all auto's suck. It's just stock, MOST auto trannys are ment for gas mileage and the "happy medium" so to speak, ment for the consumer who wants easy of use. Now the SLK is hardly want I would call a "stock car" by comparision, even if it is. Most auto's just arn't built up by the oem's to optimuize performance is all. If you build one to optumize performance, it can kill. It will never miss a shift, won't loose boost between shift, and will shift and the optimum point even time, not to soon or late. Very perdictable.

Thats probably why mecredes chose to build up an auto tranny and put it in the SLK...when built for power and speed, auto's arn't so bad. If fact, as silvery2k said, they can be better. Level 10 performance can build you an auto tranny and put in a shift kit for a honda or any other car so someone who wants this, though it won't be cheap.
Old 07-23-2004, 01:23 AM   #25
H22AccordEx
AF Newbie

Yeah but you also dont have as much control over the car if its an automatic. I also wasn't talking about putting shift kits in cars i was saying a 2 of the same cars "stock". If you wanted to modify the auto then you mine as well modify the standard and see the results.
Old 07-23-2004, 01:28 AM   #26
eckoman_pdx
Honda God

Quote:
Yeah but you also dont have as much control over the car if its an automatic. I also wasn't talking about putting shift kits in cars i was saying a 2 of the same cars "stock". If you wanted to modify the auto then you mine as well modify the standard and see the results.
On the track an auto is more perdictable, it will NEVER miss a shift, plus a human simply can not outshift a computer. A shift kit and a built up auto is essentially what an SLK has, and it's quikcer than their 5-speed.

If a built up stick where so much better, the WRC teams and top fuel draggers would all race built manaul trannys and and not built autos. I was making a point, the same one SilverY2Kcivic made. Not all autos stuck. Just becuase it's an auto doesn't make it bad, it's how it wass built, OEM or otherwise.
Old 07-23-2004, 04:36 AM   #27
H22AccordEx
AF Newbie

Well if my car had 3000hp then I wouldn't be complaining that its an automatic. They use autos because they are more likely to post the same 1/4 mile time after time. I'm not saying all autos are bad either im just saying IMOP I would take a standard over an automatic any day.
Old 07-23-2004, 08:20 AM   #28
icE_x
AF Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to icE_x

i like automatics cuz i can eat my food and drive at the same time
Old 07-23-2004, 08:39 AM   #29
mason_RsX
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via MSN to mason_RsX
Autos are obviously faster shifters and even the best drivers can only come close to shifting as well in a manual. Mercedes has been putting a ton of work into their tranny's or else the wouldn't have developed the 7speed auto. Also doesn't an automatic fight constantly to give you fuel economy over speed? And has anybody heard of a neutral drop? I have seen people do it and its painful to see, destroys the auto, but it looks like it gives decent acceleration off the line if done right
Old 07-23-2004, 02:09 PM   #30
H22AccordEx
AF Newbie

no one said that autos didn't shift faster, autos also get worse gas milage than standards. Put a 7 speed manual in a car and i bet it will be just as fast because the gear ratios will be setup for a 7 speed manual. Also if your gonna put it in neutral and rev the shit out of it then you can get the same results by powershifting a standard. And can anyone else think of a car besides "mercedes" that has a faster auto than a manual?

Closed Thread

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Engineering/Technical