Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Engineering/Technical
Engineering/Technical Ask technical questions about cars. Do you know how a car engine works?
Closed Thread Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 02-09-2004, 06:07 PM   #1
Bruce Levinson
AF Enthusiast

The Hummer H1: The King of the Road

The H-1 is the King of the off-road becuase it can pull off such nifty feats as running over logs a foot in diameter and driving through 3-foot deep streams. Of course, the H-1's extreme capabilities and$100,000+ price tag puts it out of mst people's reach. Which is why there is the H-2. Although a but more suited to the highway then the H-1, the H-2 is also a capable off-road machine.

As a recent article on TriValleyCentral.com notes, "The H-2 has plenty of features intended for off-road chores. Its approach angle is a high 42 degrees, with a 38 departure, which means you don't have to worry about digging the bumpers in steep dips. The extended 81.2 inches of width allow the vehicle to traverse a 22-degree slope without falling over. Ground clearance is 9-10 inches, more than most other SUVs. There are two traction control systems and a locking rear axle for rough running." Furthermore, because the H-2 is not covered by CAFE, the factory was able to use heavy-duty components without paying an extra tax for the privilege.

Read article
Old 03-08-2004, 11:24 PM   #2
danny350
AF Regular

Re: The Hummer H1: The King of the Road

Hummers are extremely over-rated. Wow! It can crawl over A 1 foot log, that's amazing! Big deal, put a couple of grand worth of lift and tires into a older chevy pick-up and it will easily out do a hummer offroad. And what kind of heavy duty parts do H2's supposedly have, all they are is a lifted suburban frame with a different body.
Old 03-10-2004, 10:43 AM   #3
Bruce Levinson
AF Enthusiast

Hummers can do quite a bit more than just crawl over a 1 foot log. However, they aren't for everybody or even most people. If you prefer a tricked out Chevy pickup -- cool.
Old 03-11-2004, 07:39 PM   #4
danny350
AF Regular

Re: Re: The Hummer H1: The King of the Road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Levinson
Hummers can do quite a bit more than just crawl over a 1 foot log. However, they aren't for everybody or even most people. If you prefer a tricked out Chevy pickup -- cool.

Ya! I know they can do a lot more and that they are capable off-road for a stock vehicle if you can afford them. But they aren't even close to KING OF THE OFF-ROAD.
Old 03-12-2004, 10:57 AM   #5
Bruce Levinson
AF Enthusiast

How is your Chevy truicked out? Do you have any photos you could post?
Old 04-02-2004, 07:38 PM   #6
peterbrils
AF Newbie

Hey Guys, can somebody give me some info where to buy a good H1 Hummer(4-8 yrs) and conditions to import it into Australia. Who can help me fullfilling to drive my dreamcar here for a good prize.
Thanks very much, Peter, see ye mates....

peterbrils@hotmail.com
Old 04-22-2004, 11:13 AM   #7
Suldat
Banned

OK if anyone knows about H1s it is me I worked on them in the Army for years, trust me they are WAY overrated in the mud, I have seen them get stuck in a wet grassy (level) feild that our 22,000lbs 5-ton truck could drive through (stuff that I could drive me exploror through in 2wd). Their problem is thier very heave nose that dives into mud instantly (not as bad on the civilian hummer with the gas engine), if they were to fix the weight distrabution problem they would be much better, however they are very good on everything else because of their ground clearence and independent setup on all four corners. In their defence they are very hard to roll. They are 85 inches wide and I have seen total idiots drive these things like they were trying to kill themselves, and I never onece had to turn one back over. So to call it the king of the off-road is stupid, but I will call it a radical machine.
Old 04-22-2004, 11:18 AM   #8
Suldat
Banned

By the way the H2 is a piece of crap compared to the H1, take away every advantage that the H1 had (fully indipendent on all four corners, and 85inch width, 16 inch ground clearence front and rear) and keep all of its weaknesses (noseheavy, bulky, and expansive) and tada you have the H2.
Old 04-25-2004, 11:36 AM   #9
MagicRat
Nothing scares me anymore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suldat
By the way the H2 is a piece of crap compared to the H1, take away every advantage that the H1 had (fully indipendent on all four corners, and 85inch width, 16 inch ground clearence front and rear) and keep all of its weaknesses (noseheavy, bulky, and expansive) and tada you have the H2.
Well said. The appeal of the H1 and H2 for most buyers is as a status symbol.
One can buy all the engineering of an H2 in a GM pick up truck or Yukon, with the right options, for a lot less $$$. But as it looks less butch and radical, and its cheaper, reduces its appeal for the typical H2 buyer.
As for the H1, why this is the dream ride for some people, I will never know. Its slow, foul handling, slow, expensive, slow, unmanoeverable and, what else, oh yes, slow.
For serious off roading, being small and light weight is a tremendous advantage. There are many many off road trails not accessable to H1's because they are so wide. Besides, seriously, how many people who have spent the $$$ on an H1 or H2 ever take them off roading in any serious manner?
(And, yes, I know the same can be said of the buyers of almost all SUVs)
Old 04-25-2004, 09:53 PM   #10
goinbig
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to goinbig

First of all, off road vehicles can be heavy and also be succeddful. The two ways to build a vehicle for the mud are: light with pretty wide tires so it goes across the top of the mud; or heavy, with tall tires and clearance, so it sinks down and gets traction on the hard-pack under the "goopy" stuff.

Independant suspension, on an off road vehicle, is not a good thing. You want the weight spread out equally, which means tires need to be on the ground (not up in the air). To accomplish this, you want a lot of flex, and that is achived through a straight axle, and usually coils. The independant suspension does not alow much flex at all.

I personally love the H1's but am not a big fan of the H2's. My $.02
Old 04-26-2004, 09:53 PM   #11
Diesel2NR
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to Diesel2NR Send a message via Yahoo to Diesel2NR
The H1s are decent off road vehicles from what I've heard. I wouldn't consider them king of the off-road. The H2s are just luxury liners and I've seen a couple magazine reviews giving more complaints than compliments. They hummers are huge anyways. The "trails" here in WV are way too narrow to put a hummer through, which is another reason I fail to see how they are king of the off road world. I'd much rather have a Jeep Rubicon with a Skyjacker lift and a decent rim and tire combination on it than a hummer...I garentee I could put the jeep plenty more places.
Old 04-28-2004, 03:48 PM   #12
pacethis
AF Regular

Re: Re: The Hummer H1: The King of the Road

My stepdad has an H1, and I think a large portion of H1 users take them off-road. Most could care less if it gets scratched up...

H2 owners are a different crowd...
Old 06-12-2004, 11:02 PM   #13
RiceHaterBoi
AF Newbie

Send a message via AIM to RiceHaterBoi

Amen. H1's rule. Sad thing though I just found out they only have around 205 HP. Goes to say that its definantly ALL in the gearing. H1's are awesome, could care less about H2's. H3T's look nice 2 though ohh well.

Never argue with an idiot, they drag you down to their level then beat you with experience
Old 07-10-2004, 08:07 PM   #14
Blazing Rice
AF Regular

The H1 was designed for military use, so it had to be built to something like a 5/4 ton rating. Yes, they are heavy, cumbersome, slow amongst other things, but they do well off road. And they only have 11 inches of ground clearance under the lower control arm, a rather important piece that you would miss if it were crushed by a rock. In stock trim, it will perform most other SUVs in off road situations (keyword STOCK). The H2 is merely evolution. There was a high demend for a more civilized Hummer, also with a more affordable price tag. GM filled the gap with the H2. The H2 is plenty capable off road, probably just as much as the H1, not to mention the fact that it has more wheel travel thanks to the solid axle rear.
Old 07-10-2004, 09:41 PM   #15
ToyTundra
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blazing Rice
The H2 is plenty capable off road, probably just as much as the H1, not to mention the fact that it has more wheel travel thanks to the solid axle rear.
The IRS was what made [real] Hummers cool. It isn't supposed to be strong/flexy, but the [real] hummer's is soo beefy it gets the job done with flex or by lifting a wheel.

If someone wants a lot of flex they would put a coilover suspention on, most likely, gulp, a jeep.

Don't forget [real] Hummers have geared hubs. That is just cool.

Closed Thread

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Engineering/Technical