Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Fabrication & Tools > Machine Tools
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Machine Tools Learn about metal lathes, milling machines and CNC tools.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 12-06-2007, 09:04 AM   #1
cinqster
AF Enthusiast

Boring question!

OK, it's not really.

I tend to use a right handed tool and cut on the right side of a piece if I'm boring items such as wheel rims with the lathe running in reverse (this keeps the tool cutting in the correct direction). My reason for doing it this way is that it's easier for me to see what I'm doing as I work.

Does anyone else use this method and is it frowned upon?
cinqster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2007, 09:17 AM   #2
freakray
AF Modelrater

Re: Boring question!

I've used that method when working on full size lathes, I don't think it's so much a case of right way to do it rather than the easiest way to achieve the cut required.
Old 12-06-2007, 10:41 AM   #3
Murray Kish
Getting Old...

I don't think my Sherline will run in reverse? So it's likely not an option for me?

But, yes, I've thought the same thing. Hard to see what's really happening. Your solution sounds good to me...

Murray
Murray Kish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2007, 01:18 PM   #4
MPWR
Image Hosting Exceeded

Here's why it's usually not done:

Many lathes (including the Sherline) are designed with standard right hand threads somewhere in the spindle- for instance, most chucks on a Sherline lathe are attached to the spindle by the right hand threads on the spindle shoulder. Run the lathe in reverse, and you can actually unscrew the chuck while you're cutting.

If you're sure that you don't have right hand threaded components that can't be undone by running your machine backwards then there's really no reason you can't- but inclusion of right handed threads in lathe design can be subtle. If you're using a self centering chuck, it might be possible that turning it backwards may open the chuck and loosen the workpiece....

But here's another solution- why not use a standard left handed boring tool, but make a toolpost to hold it reversed/upside down. It still won't give you quite as good a view, but cutting the on the far side you still may be able to see better than cutting on the near side.

And no, I don't think you can get a Sherline motor to run backwards. I suspect the motor control electronics would punish you severely if you tried.
Old 12-06-2007, 07:02 PM   #5
mikemechanic
AF Enthusiast

How do you stop the bottom half of the cutter from rubbing on the inside of the bore than? My boring bar is cut so that it will only fit in a 1/2" hole (although I did grind a smaller one yesterday), do you modify a right handed cutter to fit in the bore?

Mike

mikemechanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2007, 08:36 PM   #6
AF Regular

I use a modified drill bit for a boring bar. As far as seeing better with the tool away from you, I find it easier to see what I'm doing when the tool isn't in the way. It's not like you're only boring one half of the hole.
008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2007, 08:54 AM   #7
cinqster
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemechanic
How do you stop the bottom half of the cutter from rubbing on the inside of the bore than? My boring bar is cut so that it will only fit in a 1/2" hole (although I did grind a smaller one yesterday), do you modify a right handed cutter to fit in the bore?

Mike
It's a good question Mike and I've had issues with this happening too. I'm on the lookout for some small boring bars at the moment - seen some on eBay that have a 6mm shank and head.
Old 12-08-2007, 08:57 AM   #8
cinqster
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by 008
I use a modified drill bit for a boring bar. As far as seeing better with the tool away from you, I find it easier to see what I'm doing when the tool isn't in the way. It's not like you're only boring one half of the hole.
I seem to need to see the tool cutting the surface for some strange reason. I think this will become even more of an issue when I start trying to make smooth rounded profiles for steps in wheel rims etc. I really need to grind up some rounded profile tools for this but enjoy trying to do it freestylie.
Old 12-13-2007, 11:18 AM   #9
bobss396
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to bobss396

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPWR
But here's another solution- why not use a standard left handed boring tool, but make a toolpost to hold it reversed/upside down. It still won't give you quite as good a view, but cutting the on the far side you still may be able to see better than cutting on the near side.
We used to do exactly that on old clunker lathes with bad spindle bearings. Flip the tool over, run it in reverse using a RH tool.

Bob
bobss396 is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Fabrication & Tools > Machine Tools